PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19

Buzz
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
A co-worker told me him and some friends tried twice already to see The Avengers and both times the movie was sold out! :lol: oh BTW... FYI.... There is an extra scene at the end of the movie so don't leave. It's a bummer that we have to wait at least 3 years for the 2nd installment. And I hope the rumors about Disney introducing the Ant Man in the next Avengers movie, is just that, a rumor. I wouldn't mind Black Panter, Quicksilver, and the red witch being included however.

skipaway
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
So have a chance to see Avengers tomorrow in either 3-D, IMAX or regular film (all at the same theater) Cost aside, does it really matter? Will my viewing be enhanced with IMAX vs. 3-D? Help me decide. thanks

agalisgv
05-09-2012, 11:05 PM
I thought the 3D added nothing at all. Granted, I don't like 3D in general, but for some movies it can add a bit. I don't think that was the case here.

Buzz
05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Don't know about IMAX but for me 3D for this movie is unnecessary. Save your money for extra popcorn. :D

PeterG
05-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Saw some funny stuff in Entertainment Weekly about a new website called http://hollywoodandswine.com/, "an Onion-eque website that pokes fun at the people and projects making entertainment news."

A few headlines:

Nicolas Cage Fires Sixth Grader Responsible For Picking His Movie Roles - In what many in Hollywood are calling Nicolas Cage's best career move in ages, the Oscar-winning actor has fired 12-year old Joey Thompson, a sixth grade student, who has been in charge of picking Cage's film roles for the last several years.

Today's headline:

Three Dozen Fans Mourn as Kate Hudson’s Career is Taken Off Life Support

Ouch!!!!! :lol:

Another from today:

Jason Statham Sets Guinness World Record for Most Times Playing the Exact Same Movie Character

:rofl: Now this one you can't argue with!!! :D

And one more:

The Real Mel Gibson Discovered in Basement Where He’s Been Held Captive For Last 8 Years

:lol:

Buzz
05-10-2012, 01:11 PM
LOL@ PeterG! :lol: Somebody out here with nothing better to do calculated how much it would cost to fix Manhattan if the damage depicted in The Avengers were real. The answer is $160 billion, so luckily for Disney all the damage was on screen. Hehehe

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/09/11620668-avengers-damage-to-manhattan-would-cost-160-billion?chromedomain=todayentertainment&lite

MarieM
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Saw "The Avengers" today...totally loved it! Great time and I can't wait to see it again. All the characters were awesome and we (the audience) were laughing out loud many times at the witty lines throughout (mostly from Robert Downey, Jr!). The action was spectacular and so was the acting, imo.

Didn't you like the witty lines from Hulk ? Hulk was amazing too in the avengers :kickass:
I want Hulk. I love him :D

Artemis@BC
05-11-2012, 04:28 PM
A movie that could not possibly be any more different than The Avengers :D ... I saw a preview of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night. What a delight! It’s about a group of British retirees who, for various reasons, decide their money will go further and give them a beter lifestyle if they relocate to India. They pick the “newly renovated” Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (for Elderly and Beautiful People) as their new residence … but when they get there things are not quite as luxurious as they’d been led to believe. Hilarity ensues, etc. etc.

The main reason for the film is its dream cast of veteran British actors: Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup, and Penelope Wilton. I was also interested in it because I stayed in some less than “best exotic” hotels in India, including in Jaipur where the film is set. But there are also some nice moments and ideas about being in the golden years and savouring the gifts you have. Yes, it’s largely predictable, and yes, there are cultural stereotypes, and yes the English characters are more developed than (most of) the Indian ones. But it’s still highly entertaining. Nothing revolutionary, nothing terribly thought-provoking, just good fun.

Btw, the "Indian lead" as the hotel's enthusiastic young manager is played by Dev Patel -- known not only for Slumdog Millionaire, but I see he will also be in the upcoming Aaron Sorkin HBO series, The Newsroom.

PeterG
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Entertainment Weekly had an article recently about Chicago's Rob Marshall having signed on to direct Johnny Depp in the remake of The Thin Man. The article made some suggestions as to who should play Nora Charles. The list included Amy Adams, Carey Mulligan, Emma Stone, Emily Blunt, Kristen Wiig, Isla Fischer and EW's personal pick: Rachel Weisz. Glancing at the pictures in the article, I kept thinking, "no...no...no..." Instead, I thought of Angelina Jolie. But I guess after the box-office disappointment of their pairing in The Tourist, that Hollywood isn't eager to pair the two of them up together again. (By the way, am I the only one who quite enjoyed that movie?)

EW also suggested that Uggie (from The Artist) come out of retirement to play the Charles' beloved pet. :)

Beefcake
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
From the previews and stills I've seen, "Dark Shadows" is probably a campy, selectively spooky, ridiculous film!

Ergo, I can't wait to see it, and will probably love it the way I love the campy, selectively spooky, ridiculous American Horror Story. :lol:

Michelle Pheiffer looks frigging incredible. :glamor:

Cachoo
05-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Entertainment Weekly had an article recently about Chicago's Rob Marshall having signed on to direct Johnny Depp in the remake of The Thin Man. The article made some suggestions as to who should play Nora Charles. The list included Amy Adams, Carey Mulligan, Emma Stone, Emily Blunt, Kristen Wiig, Isla Fischer and EW's personal pick: Rachel Weisz. Glancing at the pictures in the article, I kept thinking, "no...no...no..." Instead, I thought of Angelina Jolie. But I guess after the box-office disappointment of their pairing in The Tourist, that Hollywood isn't eager to pair the two of them up together again. (By the way, am I the only one who quite enjoyed that movie?)

EW also suggested that Uggie (from The Artist) come out of retirement to play the Charles' beloved pet. :)

Well I agee with the choice of Uggie. I don't know if it was as Nick but I remember thinking Powell hilarious in a scene when he was on a dance floor dancing alone. When I see Myrna Loy in those films I think her as rather cute and sophisticated. She could be wonderfully sardonic too. I just don't see Angelina in that role. Depp is forty something and I guess Powell was older than Loy but Emma Stone seems so young. I'm not sure who I would pick had I the choice.

PeterG
05-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Well I agee with the choice of Uggie. I don't know if it was as Nick but I remember thinking Powell hilarious in a scene when he was on a dance floor dancing alone. When I see Myrna Loy in those films I think her as rather cute and sophisticated. She could be wonderfully sardonic too. I just don't see Angelina in that role. Depp is forty something and I guess Powell was older than Loy but Emma Stone seems so young. I'm not sure who I would pick had I the choice.

EW did mention that Stone was just 23, so the age thing would be an issue. But they also said that Hollywood hasn't cared much about casting much younger actresses with much older actors. I did think Stone was a good option, but agree about the age difference.

As for Angelina, I'm a Jolie-uber, so I think she can do anything. :D

Cachoo
05-12-2012, 02:38 AM
I don't dislike Angelina. I guess I always thought of Nora as a woman with that kind of beauty that men love but is/was not threatening to women. And I also loved that Loy had a type of exotic beauty. If I was casting on looks alone my choice would be Aishwarya Rai as she reminds me of Loy. But does she have the comedic chops? I think Emma is like Meg Ryan in that both men and women love her. And she is funny. So young though...

Grannyfan
05-12-2012, 04:17 AM

I'm assuming it will be updated, which I think will ruin the charm of the original series. I'd be happier if they'd keep it in the 30's.

I like Johnny Depp well enough, but he's no William Powell. I don't know all those actresses, but Rachel Weisz seems completely wrong. Uggie as Asta would be good even if he is the wrong breed.

By the way, there was a Thin Man TV series when I was a kid. Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk.

Nell411
05-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Johnny Depp as Nick Charles just strikes me as so wrong. He's no where near suave enough. And I can't look at anything Johnny Depp does anymore without seeing Jack Sparrow or some random offshoot of how he played Willy Wonka. It annoys me and I really just wish he would stop and try something else for a while. I honestly have no clue who I would prefer to play Nick Charles. But not him. Unless he actually plays a character that isn't the same thing he's been playing for years now. I have no real issue with Emma Stone as Nora, though. I think she'd be pretty good actually.