PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies - Volume 18 (action...comedies...documentaries...it's all good)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Cheylana
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Some of those documentaries look interesting to me.

This weekend I watched "Unforgivable Blackness", a 2005 Ken Burns/PBS documentary about Jack Johnson, the first African American heavyweight boxing champion. I hate boxing in general but I just love Ken Burns, he makes any subject compelling to me! :swoon:

PeterG
04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Some of those documentaries look interesting to me.

Just read about a new documentary in Entertainment Weekly that looks interesting. It was shows at the SXSW Festival in Austin and went over like "gangbusters". It's "We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny1vT9A9RBc)" which does not yet have a release date, but has this trailer at youtube which has been viewed almost 300,000 times. Looks interesting. :)

Cachoo
05-02-2012, 05:30 AM
FINALLY was able to see "Drive" which I wanted to catch while it was still in the theaters (oops)...Albert Brooks deserved a Best Supporting Actor nod imo. Is Ryan Gosling as cool as Steve McQueen? I'm not sure....maybe I need to see it one more time as it was certainly a good film.

PeterG
05-02-2012, 07:14 AM
FINALLY was able to see "Drive" which I wanted to catch while it was still in the theaters (oops)...Albert Brooks deserved a Best Supporting Actor nod imo. Is Ryan Gosling as cool as Steve McQueen? I'm not sure....maybe I need to see it one more time as it was certainly a good film.

:( I was at a friend's place Saturday night, and he showed me the movies he had available to watch and I was leaning towards this one. But just as I was about to pick, he said something about not wanting to see a heavy drama. My other pick was "In Time", which I thought was lighter and more sci-fi, so we watched that instead. It wasn't horrible, but Justin Timberlake can't carry a movie, IMHO. He's quite good in supporting roles, but as with "Friends With Benefits" he just doesn't seem to have what it takes. Plus he needs to go back to making music!

Cachoo
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
:( I was at a friend's place Saturday night, and he showed me the movies he had available to watch and I was leaning towards this one. But just as I was about to pick, he said something about not wanting to see a heavy drama. My other pick was "In Time", which I thought was lighter and more sci-fi, so we watched that instead. It wasn't horrible, but Justin Timberlake can't carry a movie, IMHO. He's quite good in supporting roles, but as with "Friends With Benefits" he just doesn't seem to have what it takes. Plus he needs to go back to making music!

I agree and it is hard to admit it because I really like the guy. From his time hosting on SNL--and as you mentioned--supporting roles he is enjoyable to watch but I didn't like him in "Friends." Ok--this will sound odd but I find that he and Carey Mulligan have that similar "adorable" quality but I think Mulligan has can easily be a lead and pull you in whatever film she's in---"Drive" was an example and "Never Let Me Go" is another. I even saw her in a "Doctor Who" episode recently and thought she had a commanding presence but she was so subtle about it. She is more than just a pretty face imho.

Buzz
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
In all fairness to Timberake, In Time was just a terrible move.

PeterG
05-03-2012, 02:15 AM
In all fairness to Timberake, In Time was just a terrible move.

I wouldn't say In Time was terrible, but after a decent start, it continued moving in that direction! :lol: That said, I thought everyone in the movie did a decent job...with the exception of Timberlake. I think he's better in a specific, character-piece kind of role. But he's not a leading man. At least not yet. Keep workin' on it, JT (although do that off-screen, maybe??) ;)

agalisgv
05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I liked In Time :shuffle:

Has anyone here seen The Island? I was just watching the director's commentary version of it, and at one point Michael Bay (the director) mentioned something I found horrifying. He was talking about how IRL he knows of people who would absolutely pay money for a clone to be produced and killed if it would make them live longer. Then he shared a true story about a certain prince from a country he wouldn't name that had a private 747 with two surgery tables in the upstairs area. Whenever the prince traveled, he had a 24yo accompany him that the prince had purchased from the boy's parents. Apparently the boy (now a young man) was a perfect tissue match, and when the prince's heart went out, would be replaced by this young man's. Bay said his friends have actually met the boy and seen the traveling operating tables.

I found this so disturbing, and haven't seen it reported anywhere in the news. I can only guess Bay was referring to one of the Saudi princes who was known to have a bad heart, and to have a private 747.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Vash01
05-04-2012, 07:43 PM

I saw this on DVD last weekend. I thought it was a good movie, but a bit confusing in the end. Not sure what exactly happened after Ryan G,'s character got stabbed in the stomach. He definitely disappeared, but where? Ryan Gosling is one of my favorite actors. Brooks was definitely scary.

Buzz
05-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Saw The Avengers and it is certainy not your average superhero movie. If I really wanted to be nitpicky then could find faults with this movie but I will instead say go see it. It is 100% worth it. :respec:

galaxygirl
05-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I watched Puss in Boots twice this week. I loved it! I want a cat like Puss. :shuffle:

PeterG
05-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Just finished watching The Search (1948, starring Montgomery Clift) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVbVk1pnGY)

The imdb.com description:

A silent nine-year-old Czech boy, a survivor of Auschwitz, flees a refugee center in postwar Germany and is found by an American G.I. At the same time, the boy's mother, the sole surviving member of his family, searches refugee centers for her son. Time, distance, and the massive numbers of refugee children are factors hampering the reunion of mother and son.

Definitely make sure your tissue box is close by. A really well done film, don't let the dated trailer scare you off. You might even want to start the trailer at the half-way point because it makes the movie seem almost hokey and it's done much better than the trailer leads you to believe. The early scenes are especially heartbreaking, but do pass until a touching drama unfolds. Definitely one to see if this sounds like your kind of film.

agalisgv
05-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Saw The Avengers and it is certainy not your average superhero movie. If I really wanted to be nitpicky then could find faults with this movie but I will instead say go see it. It is 100% worth it. :respec: I didn't realize this was written and directed by Joss Whedon. That should tell you what you can expect---really great fun!

smurfy
05-05-2012, 05:44 AM
I watched Puss in Boots twice this week. I loved it! I want a cat like Puss. :shuffle:

I have not see the movie, but I would like a guy like Antonio Banderas!
:rollin: I loved his voice Shrek, so will have to see Puss n Boots

PeterG
05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Watched The Return (2006) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsXPjuJPYc) last night. It stars Sarah Michelle Gellar along with Adam Scott and Sam Shepard.

At imdb.com people were pissed because they thought it would be similar to Gellar's "The Grudge" when actually it's a moody drama. People thought it would be horror or a mystery or thriller (the latter two of which imdb.com uses to describe the movie). Sure there's mystery and some thrills, but it's more of a quiet bit of storytelling and quite understated. No black cats that come flying out of nowhere as Gellar walks down a dark hallway... :lol: This one's a decent way of spending an evening when you've got nothing else to do, but you should be in the mood for something subdued and it'd definitely help if you're a Gellar fan as she's almost in every scene.