PDA

View Full Version : Medical Question re: Hearing

Cachoo
02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
I know this sounds odd but I wonder if anyone has experienced this: For several days now there is a persistant noise (about a volume of 3 or 4) that is with me almost always. This morning it was almost nil but then picked up again once I was up and around. It is a soft metallic sound that kind of mimics what a rattlesnake sounds like when it is rattling. No headaches, vision is fine and the sound can be bothersome but it is not so bad that I can't concentrate on whatever I am doing from moment to moment. Have you ever experienced anything like this? And yes, I know I need to get it checked out but I am unemployed and without insurance at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon.

BigB08822
02-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Is it like liquid in the ear? Is the sound absolutely constant or does it get worse when you bend down or move your head suddenly? I can move some muscles and cause this crunching sound in my ears that mimics someone crushing rice krispies or something. I have always been able to do it but I don't know if it is normal or not. However, it isn't something that happens unless I clinch my jaw in a certain way.

Cachoo
02-29-2012, 07:21 AM
No it is constant but it is not liquid, painful or affecting how I feel at all. It doesn't change when I move or put my head down. I feel fine. I just have this soft sound that persists. I used to get swimmers ear constantly and I know what you are talking about with that rice krispies sound but thank heavens this is not that.
I used to be a 911 operator and I feel like this is payback for every insane person that called in and was told to put a colander coverd in foil on their head to keep the aliens away. :cool:

Aussie Willy
02-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Ear problems can be so unsettling. I sometimes get a ringing in my ear but it is not constant.

I would suggest you do need to get it checked out.

Gypsy
02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
It never hurts to check it out, but it might be Tinnitus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus).

I have a constant high pitched ringing in my right ear and have had for quite a few years. Sometimes it can get very loud, sometimes I don't notice it at all. I think it is because I had a very bad ear infection on that side when I was in high school. There has also been times that it causes peoples voices to sound mechanical.

Cachoo
02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Thank you: I will be reading up on this and I will get it checked out. The only good thing I can say is it is not rattling around in my head. The noise sounds as if it is coming from outside of the ear just a few feet away. It is easier to ignore than all of the symptons you get with an ear infection.