PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
The Nice arena looks quite small according to the picture that has been posted on its facebook page. It will be easier for the public to see Tessa and Scott's facial expressions, and IMO in this FD that's one of their strengths. At TEB I was close enough to see that and during the FD I was smiling and laughing because of Scott's expressions :lol:

Not everyone could watch FD from judges side ;) Could you, please, post link to this Nice arena photo? :)

pani
03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
You say that V/M need to improve their artistic skills. I think Funny Face is the most artistic piece they've ever done. The FD only works when they have the correct facial expressions, the correct hand movements, the timing just so, etc. None of their previous FDs were so dependent on correct expression.

This FD was really a stretch for them. They're not just skating prettily, as they did with Valse Triste. They're not just using a general theme, idea, or look of a story, the way they did with Umbrellas. Nor are they just bringing out the soul of a piece of music, the way they did with Mahler. This time, they are re-creating a musical, on ice. To do it right, they have to look and move exactly the way Fred and Audrey did. They have to watch the movie hundreds of times to understand the subtle movements that make the image look the way it did, and then adapt it onto ice. That's incredibly hard, and requires artistic skills that I don't think any other team in the world has at the moment.

After watching their 4CC performance, I think they're finally getting it. I'm hoping that in this time before Worlds, it really comes together for them. I'm also hoping for new costumes, because I think new packaging will bring some fresh energy to the program.

Even if they don't win, I think this program was absolutely the right step for them at this time. This program really focused on their artistic side, teaching them to focus on expression, and how to play to the audience. Now they have next year to take it to another level, and be ready for the Olympics. I credit Marina for bringing this idea back to them.

Great post! Yes, V-M must learn to play with audience (its good for shows too). But last year FD was audience friendly and overall latin FD had much more possitive feedback from fans, than FF had.
And sorry, but i cant feel this was right Zueva if T-S will not win gold at WCh. They play in safe game and who care, if another teams couldnt show this FD in good way, if this another team will win?
In my opinion, V-M show there best, when they didnt play with audience (at least they could do this in exibitions), but when they are in there own world during perfomance and show soul of the music. Just IMHO.

And i still thinking - FF must show how book-store girl become top-model.

lavenderblue
03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Great post! Yes, V-M must learn to play with audience (its good for shows too). But last year FD was audience friendly and overall latin FD had much more possitive feedback from fans, than FF had.
And sorry, but i cant feel this was right Zueva if T-S will not win gold at WCh. They play in safe game and who care, if another teams couldnt show this FD in good way, if this another team will win?
In my opinion, V-M show there best, when they didnt play with audience (at least they could do this in exibitions), but when they are in there own world during perfomance and show soul of the music. Just IMHO.

You do realize FF remains technically undefeated, yes?

If any program's been a scoring albatross for them, it's the SD, and that's an entirely other set of issues.

pani
03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
You do realize FF remains technically undefeated, yes?

If any program's been a scoring albatross for them, it's the SD, and that's an entirely other set of issues.

Yes, but not in component score. :(
Its funny, but i feel, like judges gave V-M 71.6 points in SD from the begininf of the season and dont care - will they skate clean or no :D

pingu
03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Not everyone could watch FD from judges side ;) Could you, please, post link to this Nice arena photo? :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421123_266409473437155_134963999915037_607316_2111 73628_n.jpg

pani
03-07-2012, 05:47 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421123_266409473437155_134963999915037_607316_2111 73628_n.jpg

Thank you! :)

maggylyn
03-08-2012, 12:27 AM
You say that V/M need to improve their artistic skills. I think Funny Face is the most artistic piece they've ever done. The FD only works when they have the correct facial expressions, the correct hand movements, the timing just so, etc. None of their previous FDs were so dependent on correct expression.

This FD was really a stretch for them. They're not just skating prettily, as they did with Valse Triste. They're not just using a general theme, idea, or look of a story, the way they did with Umbrellas. Nor are they just bringing out the soul of a piece of music, the way they did with Mahler. This time, they are re-creating a musical, on ice. To do it right, they have to look and move exactly the way Fred and Audrey did. They have to watch the movie hundreds of times to understand the subtle movements that make the image look the way it did, and then adapt it onto ice. That's incredibly hard, and requires artistic skills that I don't think any other team in the world has at the moment.

After watching their 4CC performance, I think they're finally getting it. I'm hoping that in this time before Worlds, it really comes together for them. I'm also hoping for new costumes, because I think new packaging will bring some fresh energy to the program.

Even if they don't win, I think this program was absolutely the right step for them at this time. This program really focused on their artistic side, teaching them to focus on expression, and how to play to the audience. Now they have next year to take it to another level, and be ready for the Olympics. I credit Marina for bringing this idea back to them.

Love this post.

I think too many people have had that subjective (negative) reaction to the music that colors one's view of this FD. I know I've done that with some skaters' music from the past, and it can be hard to see past that. IMO this FD is a masterpiece.

I really agree about the need for new costumes. And I would be so happy if Tessa ditched the bun. :P

ETA:
I had posted this link in the Paul/Islam thread - a really nice blog that looks like it's doing a good job keeping up to date with Canadian ice dancing:

http://canadaice.blogspot.com/

sap5
03-08-2012, 01:39 AM
ETA:
I had posted this link in the Paul/Islam thread - a really nice blog that looks like it's doing a good job keeping up to date with Canadian ice dancing:

http://canadaice.blogspot.com/

Interesting! lavenderblue -- is this your site?

Shayii
03-08-2012, 01:42 AM
People need to remember how it went for Belbin and Agosto when they say how much they want Virtue and Moir to leave Shpilband and Zueva. I did not enjoy their (B and A) programs/ costumes at all in 2010 and I had been a fan!

I've seen references to this from other posts, but I'm not too familiar with this story. What was the reason why Belbin Agosto left Canton and was that the reason why they started losing, cuz Igor and Marina weren't their coaches anymore?

And I would be so happy if Tessa ditched the bun. :P

I've thought about this myself, but the more I think about I'm not sure what other hairstyle would work with the program or maybe I'm just to the bun now. What kind of hairstyle do you think would work?

elle123
03-08-2012, 01:49 AM
I've thought about this myself, but the more I think about I'm not sure what other hairstyle would work with the program or maybe I'm just to the bun now. What kind of hairstyle do you think would work?

I'm not sure another hairstyle would work either. Maybe a high ponytail depending on the costume. I liked the bun she had at 4CC, even if Scott couldn't be seen behind it haha.

Proustable
03-08-2012, 02:02 AM
I've seen references to this from other posts, but I'm not too familiar with this story. What was the reason why Belbin Agosto left Canton and was that the reason why they started losing, cuz Igor and Marina weren't their coaches anymore?

They left because

A) They didn't feel they were getting the attention they deserved with V/M and D/W closing the gap in their own training environment

and/or

B) Marina Zoueva was downplaying them in the press (I recall she gave an interview that could be read as disparaging/dismissive of them)

They started losing because

A) They inadvertantly ran into the same situation they were attempting to leave when, shortly after teaming up with Linichuk, Domnina/Shabalin were sent there as well.

B) Consequently, they were second politically.

C) Meanwhile, the gap that V/M and D/W were closing continued to close, and they were without the political protection of Shpilband they fell behind. It didn't help that Linichuk gave them pretty awful programs during the Olympic season

maggylyn
03-08-2012, 02:15 AM

I'm not sure another hairstyle would work either. Maybe a high ponytail depending on the costume. I liked the bun she had at 4CC, even if Scott couldn't be seen behind it haha.

I do realize the bun, together with the red dress, gives an iconic Audrey Hepburn look. But I haven't liked either bun she's tried so far with this costume. I maintain it's school-marmish and not flattering on her. I didn't like the bun she had for the 4CC exhibition, either.

I don't really have an alternative suggestion - I'm just complaining. :lol:

But I do love the soft/wavy ponytail of the SD. :)

maggylyn
03-08-2012, 02:26 AM
They left because

A) They didn't feel they were getting the attention they deserved with V/M and D/W closing the gap in their own training environment

and/or

B) Marina Zoueva was downplaying them in the press (I recall she gave an interview that could be read as disparaging/dismissive of them)

A) They inadvertantly ran into the same situation they were attempting to leave when, shortly after teaming up with Linichuk, Domnina/Shabalin were sent there as well.

C) Meanwhile, the gap that V/M and D/W were closing continued to close, and they were without the political protection of Shpilband they fell behind. It didn't help that Linichuk gave them pretty awful programs during the Olympic season

I have often wondered if the great outcry on places like FSU played a part in B/A leaving Canton. It seems "everyone" thought they should leave for one of the reasons posted above, or some other reason rooted in one of the conspiracy theories of the day.

It could probably be argued forever whether it turned out to be a good decision (IMO it wasn't). And it's a cautionary tale for V/M.

Shayii
03-08-2012, 02:32 AM

That's funny cuz I actually prefer the other bun cuz it was smaller, but the fact that we are comparing bun sizes is making me laugh :lol:.

I do realize the bun, together with the red dress, gives an iconic Audrey Hepburn look. But I haven't liked either bun she's tried so far with this costume. I maintain it's school-marmish and not flattering on her. I didn't like the bun she had for the 4CC exhibition, either.

I don't really have an alternative suggestion - I'm just complaining. :lol:

But I do love the soft/wavy ponytail of the SD. :)

Yea I don't think wearing her hair down would work or maybe it would IDK. Tessa doesn't wear her hair down often which I think she should cuz she looks great with it down. But anyways maybe if she re-positions the bun a little lower around the nape of her neck. Lol I don't rmr her wearing a bun for the ex I need to go rewatch it.

Shayii
03-08-2012, 02:36 AM
They left because

and/or

Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out for me. Wow I hope it wasn't option B why they left cuz that would be shady for Marina to have done :(. And I hope it wasn't option B for why they started losing. Anyways if this is the same obstacles T/S would face if they left Marina and Igor I hope they stay.