PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68

bmcg
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I hope both V/M learn to speak more carefully in the future. Yes, we know that Tessa was simply saying that it wasn't the best skate *for them*, but as we also know, most reporters don't know anything about figure skating, and will jump at the chance to completely misconstrue and misinterpret words.

SheŽll probably get that lesson soon enough considering how people have taken her comments and run with them. A well skated FD that I watched has suddenly become a FD riddled with bobbles that have the gold medalists stunned they still won :rolleyes: It's a good thing these two don't have twitter or give many interviews. Stay in that bubble and then chat with us in the spring of 2014;)

sap5
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Interesting article from ice-dance.com: http://ice-dance.com/component/content/article/101-2011-2012-events/1324-2012-worlds-free-dance-recap-by-the-numbers

sequins
03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
To quote Scott this is all just one big'piss off'. Those 2 articles are ridiculous."Littered" with 'bobbles' & 'stumbles' GMAFB. This crap bugs my ass. Tessa makes a simple figure skating statement, saying it wasn't our best and it gets turned into this. One wonders if she hadn't said anything if these uneducated losers would be smart enough to even pick up on the 'errors'. That article also makes Charlie seem like a whiner and I could certainly call him all the names Scott was called when he complained but I won't because neither one of them is/was out of line. It's alright to question the judging and to be upset when you think you deserve better.
D&W were great, they were not perfect, the marks could've been closer but V&M rocked the SD and still had a lead that in no way deserved to be overtaken because of some minor(that's right MINOR) details. D&W music is crowd pleasing and just because you get caught up in that doesn't mean they win. Now I need my own bubble to shield me from this crap. Sorry for rambling but I'm ticked at the lack of respect for V&M. These idiots have no idea what they're even watching. Their loss.

Sahararainfall
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM
YAY Scott and Tessa! Congrats on your second world title. Very tired from work, haven't watched/downloaded the FD but just have to sneak in here and celebrate with fellow fans. Too bad it seems unpopular, but I hope they still enjoy it.

ETA: Still catching up on posts. Is it really bad outside this thread, articles and everything? Is it legit or just mob mentality? Where the errors that obvious? DF is definitely arena friendly while FF is better in HD laptop with replay buttons. So deep inside I sort of feared this would happen if they win, clean skate or not.

ETA2: Okay. Download about to finish(hopefully)...I guess I'll see for myself.

ETA3: So this season seems to bring 3 major lessons for TS. For Scott, don't say "piss-off" in a press conference (even if his sentiment is valid). For Tessa well I don't know, don't be too honest? :lol: And #3 for both of them, as much as I love FF, for next season pick a fan-friendly arena-friendly music and half your work is done. :lol:

Also, am I the only one who thought that Marina Zueva did not look that happy when Tessa & Scott won?. She was far more involved in Meryl & Charlie IMO. I really think it's time for one of these teams to change coaches.

Perhaps Marina is just more emotionally attached to the DF music and program and because she seems to have bookmarked this for DW, the way she was attached to Mahler and gave it to TS.

clarie
03-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Their win is unpopular to U.S. fans mostly......

VarBar
03-30-2012, 04:52 PM
The Eurosport webiste has a piece on the free dance saying that "Every Man, woman and child in the arena thought the Americans had won".
Was I watching something else last night?.
Yes, it was close, very close. But I still had Tessa & Scott with the Gold.

Every man, woman and child in the arena and every commentator I know thought Tessa and Scott had won last year in Moscow but they didn't. What should this tell us?;)

aka_gerbil
03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Their win is unpopular to U.S. fans mostly......

I'm a US fan. :drama: :P

I would say though that I agree that fans from the US would be inclined to be less happy with the results.

Every man, woman and child in the arena and every commentator I know thought Tessa and Scott had won last year in Moscow but they didn't. What should this tell us?;)

Hee! I think I know the answer to this one.

On another note, the importance of "audience-friendly music" meme is getting on my last nerve. When it comes to how a figure skating program is judged--I don't care what discipline--the thing that matters when it comes to the music is how well the skater interprets and uses that piece of music. It's how the skater(s) connect(s), not the audience. This isn't American Idol, and they used trained judging panels for these things rather than letting the audience vote for a reason.

Bournekraatzfan
03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
The other thing that annoys me is that people are using the fact that tessa and Scott said that their performance wasn't perfect as a reason why they shouldn't have won. The thing they fail to realize is that Tessa and Scott are probably two of the biggest perfectionists in the world. They wouldn't be happy unless every edge was perfect and every emotion was portrayed to its max.

Exactly. They are being judged in comparison to the other teams who skated that day, and not to their other performances this season. Just because they did not meet their own standard of excellence, doesn't mean their marks should suffer. Who's to say that the things they are not entirely pleased with are even quantifiable. It is not like those little things make this a shaky skate: I have rewatched it several times and can't help but be awestruck by their posture and stability, control, ease of movement, unison, and smoothness. That, combined with their total and utter commitment to the characters and the story, make this FD a winner in my eyes. And of course, that is all on top of their very strong technical elements (and as I said earlier, that diagonal step sequence was unreal in terms of edge control, ease, and flow--better than a quad to me).

Furthermore, Tessa and Scott have won the TES for the FD in every meeting they have had with D&W this season (and in the GPF, even before the correction), so I am not sure why some feel the scores and subsequent result is so outrageous. Their TES advantage is responsible for most of the difference in scores, and unless these critics felt that the 'bobbles' occurred on elements and therefore should have resulted in a lower TES, or were so glaring as to warrant a PCS that was significantly lower than that of D&W and enough to offset the TES advantage and the SD lead, their argument doesn't hold.

lavenderblue
03-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Another US fan, though I think something exacerbating the situation is the US-based skating media -- the more prominent the (biased) voice, the more validity given to the idea that V/M's win was somehow unjust.

On another note, the importance of "audience-friendly music" meme is getting on my last nerve. When it comes to how a figure skating program is judged--I don't care what discipline--the thing that matters when it comes to the music is how well the skater interprets and uses that piece of music. It's how the skater(s) connect, not the audience. This isn't American Idol.

Agreed. It's also ridiculous to determine in advance what an "audience-friendly" piece of music is -- should the dancers run focus groups comprising a mix of casual fans, ubers, and random people who might accidentally stumble into an arena one day in order to find the most crowd-pleasing selections? It's not an audience ratings game, it's about the music that the dancers can best connect with, best interpret, and thus perform best before a very small judging panel.

I'd argue that a team can also make the music. Would anyone call Mahler's Symphony No. 5 more audience-friendly than PotO? Yet I think V/M drew in their audiences with that piece to at least equal effect as D/W's more outgoing, dramatic, and familiar music did.

twinktwink
03-30-2012, 05:24 PM
To quote Scott this is all just one big'piss off'. Those 2 articles are ridiculous."Littered" with 'bobbles' & 'stumbles' GMAFB. This crap bugs my ass. Tessa makes a simple figure skating statement, saying it wasn't our best and it gets turned into this. One wonders if she hadn't said anything if these uneducated losers would be smart enough to even pick up on the 'errors'. That article also makes Charlie seem like a whiner and I could certainly call him all the names Scott was called when he complained but I won't because neither one of them is/was out of line. It's alright to question the judging and to be upset when you think you deserve better.
D&W were great, they were not perfect, the marks could've been closer but V&M rocked the SD and still had a lead that in no way deserved to be overtaken because of some minor(that's right MINOR) details. D&W music is crowd pleasing and just because you get caught up in that doesn't mean they win. Now I need my own bubble to shield me from this crap. Sorry for rambling but I'm ticked at the lack of respect for V&M. These idiots have no idea what they're even watching. Their loss.

Unfortunately this is the kind of rubbish that comes when you're at the top. It shouldn't happen and I really wish it didn't happen but people just can't stand it when someone is repeatedly successful. I have to say I'm not surprised by the American press coverage, their loyalties lie in obvious places after all and well I've never known the American press to be overly generous when it comes to compliments of non- Americans.

Like someone else said, its the kind of resentment that's reserved for a top Russian team and so you take that away and the resentment gets shifted onto the next closest rivals who just so happen to be Canadian too.

Unfortunately in all sports this kind of crap comes out. As a fan its hard to take at times and I used to get so upset over it all the time and take it personally. I still do, its hard not to take it any other way but after the initial anger I tend to take the attitude of letting it slip right off like water down a duck's back :)

I've not looked at anything outside of this thread because I knew what it would be like as soon as Tessa and Scott won. I have to say that I am surprised that, seemingly, so much resentment is directed towards them. I've always felt that Canadians are well liked and that more people would have a problem with Americans being the 'top dogs'.

I've always thought that Tessa and Scott represented all the best qualities of ice dance, its the whole reason I was drawn to them in the first place. They're all about the art and the dance along with the technical skills that's needed.

This hate bugs the hell out of me but there's nothing much I can do to change people's minds, especially when they don't want to be changed and they enjoy simply hating someone. If I didn't follow so many other sports then it would get to me even more but at least when you see that it happens in all kinds of places then you know its nothing to take too seriously.

It is what it is, sour grapes. IMO.

Don't know if this has made any sense at all or if I've rambled on well past the point I was trying to contribute too.

twinktwink
03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
is it really wrong that I think a great title for the next thread would be something like...The Sour Grapes can suck it! ? :lol:

frisette70
03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
This isn't American Idol, and they used trained judging panels for these things rather than letting the audience vote for a reason.

:40beers:

twinktwink
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
This isn't American Idol, and they used trained judging panels for these things rather than letting the audience vote for a reason.

I'm in love with what you said right here :)

VarBar
03-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Wow D&W fans in their thread are pulling T&S apart, saying the crowds reaction was way better for D&W & how it was probably due to Scott's complaining, LMAO sour grapes ....

What was probably due to Scott's complaining, the win? If so, can you believe the power of influence Scott has over the judges? Those guys would really do whatever Scott would tell them to do. I assume Scott just had to let the judges know he wanted silver last year and silver it was for Tessa and him.:lol:

Wishing Tessa and Scott a great vacation after a well-deserved victory at Worlds.

Rafter
03-30-2012, 05:46 PM

:lol:

I read a post in the Davis and White thread about how the winners didn't get a standing ovation and all I could think was "the winners" last year didn't get a good audience reaction and yet still won.

Anyway, hoping for an amazing music choice next year because Funny Face really didn't do it for me. Their interpretation and detail was great and of course the clean elements but I just hope for better music next season.

They are going to feel huge pressure skating in their hometown!