PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Proustable
03-30-2012, 04:07 AM
G/P were the most recent ones. Gordeeva/Grinkov did it too.

iggie
03-30-2012, 04:08 AM
forget what tessa said. i remember that during the olympics, she won and one of the first things she said was... we made a mistake! she just won worlds and did it again.

Sonata
03-30-2012, 04:14 AM
That's so true iggie! Scott and Tessa really balance each other out - Scott's very rah-rah-rah-we-rock, while Tessa will point out their mistakes in the midst of victory. A true example of two people complementing each other!

aka_gerbil
03-30-2012, 04:29 AM
G/P were the most recent ones. Gordeeva/Grinkov did it too.

Thanks! I remember G/G doing it too, but I didn't think there'd been anyone else since G/P.

Skate Talker
03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
So, all in all, as it happened at 4CC, levels were determinant. I also feel that unlike DW, who fell victim to their scores being so inconsistent all season long, VM's scores were pretty much always within the same range. I say DW fell victims to this because with their scores hitting highs and the lows and then highs again, they could never understand just what the judges wanted them to do. I think Cup of Russia hurt them a lot, as did Nationals. This was not DW's fault, but not facing tougher technical panels hurt them more. VM, on the contrary, identified the issues with their programs and worked to correct them. Some tweaks were brilliant, others not so much, but by not getting an overwhelmingly positive feedback, they understood they had to work really hard. This paid off.

I was never a big Irena Slutskaya fan, but I always thought she got a raw deal from the judges. All season long they would give her incredibly high marks compared to all the other skaters, then suddenly at Worlds they would lower the boom even though she put out the same performance as ever. So I get your point. It was just so frustrating to see Tessa and Scott constantly getting lower marks and you could see their frustration too.

Congrats to all the skaters for their hard work.

iggie
03-30-2012, 04:48 AM
for all the times, tessa and scott looked at the scoreboard and could barely hide their disappointment and frustration. no panel made it easy, not even the panel in their own country.

for all the times we read and heard people criticizing ff, barely giving it a chance... crowning d/w world champions at skate america because of df.

for all the times we scoffed at how much v/m altered their programs, slamming the changes and doubting their strengths (i mean, who really doesn't have their programs sorted out by nationals?!)

for all the times they were dismissed as yesterday's champions, hasbeens, good skaters who will never be at the top again

for all the times we yelled for a coaching change, not trusting marina, igor, "the plan", or tessa and scott to know what was truly good for them

... yes, tessa and scott admitted (http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2012/03/back-to-basics-for-virtue.html)that it was grueling physically and psychologically, but they hung in there. they made it. they did it. they won. it was beautiful and they are now, once again, reigning olympic, world and national champions!!

sequins
03-30-2012, 04:48 AM
It would be more of a compliment if Simon Reed wasn't such a complete idiot :P

Yes. While I enjoy listening to him for skating. Don't even get me started on his tennis 'insight':rolleyes: This is a guy while Fed was #1 and he and Nadal were dominating the sport proclaimed Andy Murray the best player in the world and was about to win several majors.....still waiting.

sequins
03-30-2012, 04:52 AM
for all the times, tessa and scott looked at the scoreboard and could barely hide their disappointment and frustration

for all the times we read and heard people criticizing ff, barely giving it a chance... crowning d/w world champions at skate america because of df.

for all the times we scoffed at how much v/m altered their programs, slamming the changes and doubting their strengths (i mean, who really doesn't have their programs sorted out by nationals?!)

for all the times they were dismissed as yesterday's champions, hasbeens, good skaters who will never be at the top again

for all the times we yelled for a coaching change, not trusting marina, igor, "the plan", or tessa and scott to know what was truly good for them

... yes, tessa and scott admitted (http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2012/03/back-to-basics-for-virtue.html)that it was grueling physically and psychologically, but they hung in there. they made it. they did it. they won. it was beautiful and they are now, once again, reigning olympic, world and national champions!!

Amen. Hopefully next year we can all be a little more supportive and have a little more faith....until they lose 4CC anyways:rofl:

Bournekraatzfan
03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
forget what tessa said. i remember that during the olympics, she won and one of the first things she said was... we made a mistake! she just won worlds and did it again.

I was just going to bring that up! I remember she said that there was a bit of a mistake on the ending, but that program (Mahler) was perfection to me. I think it is very rare for skaters to produce programs that don't have those little bobbles...we just don't notice because they are very little things that skaters can cover.

I think that some of us fans are as perfectionistic as Tessa (and Scott) ;)

Golightly
03-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Is the Eurosport version up yet? :)

walei
03-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Was going to post this on the other thread but I decided to put it here instead.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-figure-skating-worldscoring-pixl3e8eu0pk-20120329,0,2967509.story?page=1

This is an article saying how even T/S were puzzled at their win. That is pure conjecture. Yes there are little bobbles here and there and V/M had to fight through the performance. Luckily it wasn't on their elements and they could still get most of the levels and superb GOE across the board. At the end that it showed with their mark that they did not get a SB for the performance wasn't the best of the season. Still the win was well deserved with their quality skate and technical merits.

It's just that at the same time D/W couldn't get the level 4s for the step sequences despite how well they think they skated. There are experts here on FSU even pointed out Meryl's edge quality may not be good enough to get top levels. The whole "everyone beside the judges thought D/W should win including Tessa and Scott" comment is pure bull.

And then there is Phil Hersh's article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-a-very-quick-read-on-ice-dance-at-world-meet-20120329,0,2687379.column

All I can is: Oh Phil, never change :lol:.

aka_gerbil
03-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Was going to post this on the other thread but I decided to put it here instead.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-figure-skating-worldscoring-pixl3e8eu0pk-20120329,0,2967509.story?page=1

Oh, good grief. Hyperbole much, Chicago Tribune?

All I can say is haters are gonna hate. ;)

Macassar88
03-30-2012, 06:16 AM
What upsets me is that people are allowed to point out that Virtue and Moir had mistakes in their program (which they did, I'll be the first one to say that they made mistakes, the first being that they took out the tap dance section which was my favorite part) but we aren't allowed to point out that other teams made mistakes without being yelled at.

m_chenning
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Oh, I'm so happy for Tessa and Scott! Real talent still appreciated. And I wish them to enjoy the victory. So precious (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01BQa7q1xBcfh/x610.jpg):) Let's hope for the unquestionable programmes for them next season. They need some changes imho. I still want Dean or Dubreil-Lauzon to work with them.

tapper88
03-30-2012, 06:27 AM
I thought the CBC interview after was quite cute- Scott was so adamant about the skate still being good, even if Tessa is such a perfectionist. Just demonstrates how different the two are, but how much they love each other and fit together so well.