PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Golightly
03-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Thank you for your reports, IoanaC and pani. It's good to read impressions from those who have seen it all live :).

Well, I am so glad that Tessa and Scott won, so - congratulations to them and to all the other fans :). But, at the same time, I am not so glad that it had to be with an imperfect skate. Of course, their mistakes were minor, but in a competition like this it mattered. Not when it came to marks, as it turned out, but - I would have liked to know that they were brilliant on the day of their victory, and that those Davis/White fans really had nothing valid to say against them. But, oh well, you can't have everything. Now, lets hope for a great next season - preferably with a program in a more contemporary style for a change.

Oh, but they were brilliant. I am proud that they were able to win Worlds using that music. I mean, SO proud. I hope they go for something better next year. I loved how FF evolved, loved the choreography and how it adapted the film so beautifully, but the music was never my thing. A win like this tells you a lot about the talent these two have.

HSGP21
03-30-2012, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rz_dMbteNM&feature=player_embedded

Interview

Bournekraatzfan
03-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Thank you for your reports, IoanaC and pani. It's good to read impressions from those who have seen it all live :).

Well, I am so glad that Tessa and Scott won, so - congratulations to them and to all the other fans :). But, at the same time, I am not so glad that it had to be with an imperfect skate. Of course, their mistakes were minor, but in a competition like this it mattered. Not when it came to marks, as it turned out, but - I would have liked to know that they were brilliant on the day of their victory, and that those Davis/White fans really had nothing valid to say against them. But, oh well, you can't have everything. Now, lets hope for a great next season - preferably with a program in a more contemporary style for a change.

Also really glad for Pechalat/Bourzat, Weaver/Poje, Cappelini/Lanotte and Ilinykh/Katsalapov :D. I really didn't wish such unsuccessful skates to Shibutanis and Bobrova/Soloviev, but I can't say that I am unsatisfied with the overall placings :shuffle:.

Actually, I felt both teams could have skated a bit better but still thought they delivered very solid skates. Tessa and Scott had the minor bobbles and Meryl and Charlie didn't have the edges on the footwork. I also thought both teams were off on the first twizzle, albeit only slightly. Like Golightly, I preferred D&W's energy, and felt they definitely had the most exciting program. But I favoured V&M's more complex interpretation, closer positions, better line, and more difficult transitions. The judges earlier this season did them a favour by dinging them on transitions and choreo, as before the revamp I felt the teams were neck and neck in those areas. Tessa and Scott upped the difficulty and got the vote.

When teams are this close, there's bound to be some debate over the results. I love both teams and kind of wish they could both win, but I do feel that the right team won tonight. IMO, no other team could skate with such depth of edge and precision.

sorry for posting so much--just so excited about the result!

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-30-2012, 02:20 AM
Wow! Congratulations to V&M and P&B (they finally made it onto the podium).

I haven't had a chance to catch up with videos or any PBP but I'm beyond happy for V&M and the fact that Scott and Tessa were not completely happy with their performances is one of the reasons why I love them. Scott can get cocky at times but I do feel that he and Tessa are good at critiquing themselves and being able to say when they were off and when they were not and making the neccesary adjustments.

Hopefully being two time World champions will give them a boost in confidence going into next season. The same goes for P&B finally being able to call themselves World bronze medalists.

:rollin:

lauravvv
03-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Actually, I felt both teams could have skated a bit better but still thought they delivered very solid skates. Tessa and Scott had the minor bobbles and Meryl and Charlie didn't have the edges on the footwork and I also thought their first twizzle was off (though Tessa and Scott didn't have their best set either). Like Golightly, I preferred D&W's energy, and felt they definitely had the most exciting program. But I favoured V&M's more complex interpretation, closer positions, better line, and more difficult transitions. The judges earlier this season did them a favour by dinging them on transitions and choreo, as before the revamp I felt the teams were neck and neck in those areas. Tessa and Scott upped the difficulty and got the vote.

When teams are this close, there's bound to be some debate over the results. I love both teams and kind of wish they could both win, but I do feel that the right team won tonight. IMO, no other team could skate with such depth of edge and precision.

sorry for posting so much--just so excited about the result!Thank you for your well weighed and objective (in my opinion) comments. I agree with everything :).

Macassar88
03-30-2012, 02:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rz_dMbteNM&feature=player_embedded

Interview

I don't know if this has it or not, but Scott dancing to the music was one of the cutest moments of worlds (along with Kaitlyn hugging Nathalie and Anjelika crying)

walei
03-30-2012, 02:28 AM
I wasn't surprised that the crowd gave a bigger reception to D/W. We knew this from the beginning of the season that Meryl and Charlie's music is such a crowd pleaser and very easy to let the audience to get into. If anything I actually thought during the FD the audience wasn't as into the music and clapping along *loudly* as I expected.

Once again I am happy that V/M outscored them on the PCS also. They tied on the Performance mark but Tessa and Scott go the edge in all other categories. I was also surprised that they won by 3 points. Between V/M and D/W, that is a sizable difference when no one made a major mistake! I guess that shows in ice dance because there are no jumping elements you HAVE TO hit your levels with good GOE which is what D/W lose out on.

Golightly
03-30-2012, 02:40 AM
Kaitlyn seems like such a nice person. Unlike others, I don't think P-B were "given" that bronze medal, they won it fair and square. This is what happens when you let the emotional aspect of a program drive your judgement. W-P's was beautifully performed, but there is a lot of work to be done with both their edgework and footwork in general. Yes, they connect with the audience on a emotional level, it is a heartbreaking piece, but that cannot hide the fact that skating-wise, P-B are superior. Granted, W-P have improved a lot this season. In fact, I'd say W-P and C-L are the most improved teams this year. The Italians, particularly, they are very talented. I expect Weaver and Poje to get even better. They could be that third team next year.

Lissa
03-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Cannot wait for the Eurosport coverage on YT, love the British guys, they so adore T&S!:D

Bournekraatzfan
03-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Kaitlyn seems like such a nice person. Unlike others, I don't think P-B were "given" that bronze medal, they won it fair and square. This is what happens when you let the emotional aspect of a program drive your judgement. W-P's was beautifully performed, but there is a lot of work to be done with both their edgework and footwork in general. Yes, they connect with the audience on a emotional level, it is a heartbreaking piece, but that cannot hide the fact that skating-wise, P-B are superior. Granted, W-P have improved a lot this season. In fact, I'd say W-P and C-L are the most improved teams this year. The Italians, particularly, they are very talented. I expect Weaver and Poje to get even better. They could be that third team next year.

ITA. Nathalie and Fabian skated for that medal. Though I thought that W&P skated beautifully today and had some gorgeous edges today, I found that P&B demonstrated better use of and depth of edge overall. Their transitions looked smoother than those of W&P, too. I have thought all season long that P&B had the better basics. W&P are rapidly improving, so they could catch up, but I think Nathalie and Fabian are very deserving medalists. and Kaitlyn seemed really happy for them, which is so nice to see:)

iggie
03-30-2012, 03:24 AM
i thought their performance was beautiful. the program was gorgeous and worthy of the win. congratulations!

that said, the cbc has this great closeup of the two of them before they started, when scott is positioning tessa's face, and i realize once again that the camera work can't do this program justice. there are so many details like that which we miss because the camera can't capture their blades, leg lines, arms, and face all at the same time.

also, in the cbc broadcast, there is a fluff about the skating clubs in canton. the shibs, d/w, v/m, w/p, the french, and both sets of coaches were interviewed.

scott russell has a photo of the virtues and moirs in the stand: http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg876/scaled.php?tn=0&server=876&filename=p1rbf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

clarie
03-30-2012, 03:40 AM
I've just been reading a bunch of other threads/forums. There's so many sour grapes out there I feel drunk lol......bedtime. I feel really great about Tessa and Scott's win with their awsome skate today and hope they enjoy the rest of their stay in Nice. It's a beautiful place and it will be nice for them to get some R & R watching the rest of the comps and sightseeing.

I'm glad Pani got to go and see the comp today, and anyone else in our little group here who was fortunate enough to be there. The men's comp being tomorrow will take some of the focus off them (the negative stuff anyway).......Poor Patrick....it will all be focused on him.

Now we can all speculate what will be the programs for next year :)...........and the cycle starts again..........

aka_gerbil
03-30-2012, 03:49 AM
I've finally gotten to watch the performances of the 3 medalists today. I think the argument can be made for switching D/W and P/B, but I'm not going to argue too hard about the results at all. I'm just genuinely thrilled that P/B are now finally world medalist.

I'm not usually that much of a fan of D/W, but I do think this was their best outing of this program and one of their better outings in awhile.

As for V/M, no, this wasn't their best skate. I thought they looked better at 4CC, altitude and all. There were some tiny little errors--Scott's little stumble that he covered so nicely on that I had to back the video up a few times to catch it, Tessa on one of the footwork sequences, and Scott on part of the twizzles (to be fair, V/M, D/W, and P/B all had slight problems with the twizzles). But, the quality of their skating and the rest of the program more than made up for it. I know it's not how they wanted to win; it's not how I wanted to see them win--I wanted no room for quibbling out of their detractors, but they still did more than enough to win and, you know, got it done, even if not perfect. I'm fairly certain they'll be summoned for the WTT, so maybe they can really put down an end-of-the-year skate there that will really make them happy.

I haven't had a chance to catch up with videos or any PBP but I'm beyond happy for V&M and the fact that Scott and Tessa were not completely happy with their performances is one of the reasons why I love them. Scott can get cocky at times but I do feel that he and Tessa are good at critiquing themselves and being able to say when they were off and when they were not and making the neccesary adjustments.

Hopefully being two time World champions will give them a boost in confidence going into next season. The same goes for P&B finally being able to call themselves World bronze medalists.

:rollin:

Same here. I also love that they're usually first in line to critique themselves. You're right that Scott can be cocky at times, but both he and Tessa are really good about recognizing and owning up to their mistakes and what they need to do to get better.

I'm also hoping that these results will give V/M and P/B a good confidence boost going into next season.

ETA: In addition to the British EuroSport coverage, I'm hoping CBC coverage surfaces as well.

sequins
03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
I'm late to the party because I only now just watched it but:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:WOOOOOH OOOOO! What a rollercoaster season, more so for us fans, but V/M stayed true to their belief in these programs and what a beautiful payoff! They are just superb in every way, they are brilliant. It's so natural and easy looking, it's ridiculous. I just can not ever express how much I love to watch them, they are just a once in a lifetime team and now they are WORLD CHAMPS again!

Now I admit tonight wasn't their best of the season(I honestly don't think anyone's was JMO) but EVERYONE in that final flight was damn good. D/W were wonderful, W/P performance of the day, P/B finally!. Katilyn was so sweet when she went and hugged P/B, and Anjelika was so emotional it was lovely. The crowd was great, and V/M delivered, I will say their acting/facial expressions were S'Wonderful:) tonight, just the best. Now I'm all too excited to see the 'new' exhibition # that's what I'm really psyched for!

Big congrats to C/L and R/H, Canada's #3 did us proud! The crowd loved them and they were amazing, great result!

aka_gerbil
03-30-2012, 04:03 AM
I've been thinking about this: Are V/M the first skaters in any discipline to win a world title after winning an OGM (not including the same same season that a skater/team won their OGM in) in quite awhile?

The last one I can remember is G/P.