PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

jl22aries
03-29-2012, 05:14 AM
what's up with marina's shades?

Someone mentioned in the pbp that Marina has an eye sensitivity, or problem?

zilam98
03-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Someone mentioned in the pbp that Marina has an eye sensitivity, or problem?

now? if she has always had that problem, then i do have to say i've never seen her wear shades at the rink before in footages. otherwise, it could be age ;)

Bournekraatzfan
03-29-2012, 05:46 AM
THRILLED for Tessa and Scott! They were awesome today, and the scary thing is that I actually think they held back the tiniest bit and could have skated that program even better. I was so concerned about the lift because of the uneven distribution of elements in this program, but wow! That was incredible! As strong as their elements were, the transitions were the highlight of this program for me--they moved effortlessly from one move to the next, and every single movement was finished yet still appeared to be spontaneous. and great speed to boot!

and I keep coming back to the same point but to me rhythm is a fundamental part of any dance and it is where Tessa and Scott really set themselves apart. I just love the opening and thought it was perfection tonight. The way they work with and articulate the polyrhythms is just amazing, as these layered rhythms require them to use vertical, lateral, and rotational movement at the same time! That is what I call coordination! It wasn't just undulating hips--it was all parts of their bodies using different pulses yet working in harmony. This doesn't mean much in terms of the scoring, but it really makes the dance for me.

Congratulations to Tessa and Scott on a terrific skate! I hope they give their best FD performance of the season tm. Go Tessa and Scott! :cheer:

Bournekraatzfan
03-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this info with us, IoanaC! I hope you are having a wonderful time and return with many fond memories:)

and thank you lauravvv and martyross for providing us with commentary from other networks. always interesting to get multiple perspectives from people who are very knowledgeable about ice dance. thanks also to aka_gerbil for sharing that tweet with us--I really like I&K, so it is nice to read such high praise from Elena. I agree with sequins, there is something really special about receiving praise from your peers.

and thank you to jl22aries for providing the British Eurosport link--I always love hearing their commentary. "two best dancers [he's] ever seen"--quite a compliment!

walei, you are a true fan--I can't believe you stayed up for the SD!

I hope everyone here is enjoying the skating, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on the FD:)

JasperBoy
03-29-2012, 06:16 AM
what's up with marina's shades?

I don't know for sure. But, it could be that the glare of the lights bothers her.
Before I had cataract surgery I was bothered by arena lights. Afterward, even more so! I almost always wear shades while watching skating live.

Shayii
03-29-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't know for sure. But, it could be that the glare of the lights bothers her.
Before I had cataract surgery I was bothered by arena lights. Afterward, even more so! I almost always wear shades while watching skating live.

Yea I think there is something wrong with her eyes. At first I thought she was wearing it as a fashion statement cuz my mom used to wear shades indoors thinking it was fashionable lol, but when I was watching the SD live there was a point she didn't have them on and I could tell something was wrong with her eyes.

Shayii
03-29-2012, 07:01 AM
For the FD it's a very good draw for V/M. However I am still conservative in calling this competition over like the other camp. Last year V/M won the SD and lost decisively in the FD. Though I am definitely more hopeful because of the encouraging fact that for once their PCS outscored D/W across the board.

Yes I'm glad you mentioned this. It's making me nervous cuz it looks like everywhere people have already crowned T/S the winners. There is still one more dance to go people, then we can really celebrate. Wishing them the best today!

Bournekraatzfan
03-29-2012, 07:03 AM
All of the above?

a) The scores at the GPF were insane. Level fours were handed out like candy. We saw the consequences pretty instantly at Euros and 4CC - the tech panel was VERY restrained giving out the levels, and no teams matched their score at the GPF in either dance. GOEs were the same.

b) At the same time, we've heard some people complaining loudly at the way the judges have been handing out tens as well. Zhulin argued that a ten should be for something special. We saw D/W score two tens from the same judge at the CoR SD despite an obvious flaw that hurt the program and damaged the timing.

c) You've gotta wonder at the behind-the-scenes aspect too. The fact is, D/W and V/M are nearing the peak. V/M scored above 38 in PCS this competition! D/W had the highest PCS ever in any discipline for the CoR FD. They are literally in the position where going higher isn't merely unfeasible, it's practically impossible.

d) On top of that, I suspect the ISU wants the scores to get HIGHER as the Sochi nears, which means they can't max out here. We see this in a couple of the proposals on the table (having the transition lift being a scored element, for example).

e) So all these things means that the scores for the Canton quartet take a bit of a hit, whereas the rest of the teams actually don't suffer as much because their scores can still grow. It has the added bonus of making it a tighter race (seriously - did anyone expect P/B to be closer to D/W and V/M than to W/P heading into this week?)

great post! I agree, the marks at the GPF were a bit on the high side and I didn't expect to see such lenient/generous judging at worlds. and I, too, have questioned some of the tens awarded on the GP circuit. but I must admit I am confused at D&W receiving a couple of -1 GOEs for their first rhumba sequence. I know these sequences weren't their best in terms of edge quality (certainly not at the level of those in their GPF SD, though I did like their forward inside edges here), and perhaps they lacked their usual ice coverage (I find this aspect really difficult to judge from TV) but I still don't understand those. but then, the judges weren't overly generous with the marks for Tessa and Scott either, and I definitely felt that V&M had the better rhumba sequences. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the result, and am really happy with the high PCS that Tessa and Scott received...I just don't understand the scoring of that first sequence for D&W and I also preferred D&W's twizzles tonight. but I might also argue that Tessa and Scott deserved slightly more of an edge in IN and SS, so I guess it all works out!

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-29-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm still in the midst of downloading and watching some of the key performances from earlier so I'll save my comments until later. I am happy about the current standings but like others will save any real celebrating until the end of the competition.

I'm happy that Tessa and Scott seemed to skate well and that they apparently were well received by their fellow skaters and are in good spirits. Let's hope they can keep this up or skate even better for the FD.

I'm also happy that Nathalie got through the SD. I still can't believe poor Nathalie broke her nose. Ouch!

BTW, when did ISU stop doing the reverse order skating for the FD? I like the fact that (at least for this competition) the random draw is being used again.

Bournekraatzfan
03-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Yes I'm glad you mentioned this. It's making me nervous cuz it looks like everywhere people have already crowned T/S the winners. There is still one more dance to go people, then we can really celebrate. Wishing them the best today!

I agree this is still a competition. 1.33 is not a very comfortable cushion and as we have seen this season, level 4s aren't a given for any team. V&M still have to go out and skate, and D&W are still in this. I just hope both teams skate their best.

Bournekraatzfan
03-29-2012, 07:18 AM

I'm also happy that Nathalie got through the SD. I still can't believe poor Nathalie broke her nose. Ouch!

I was so impressed with Nathalie! That is focus. I was so happy to see she and Fabian skate so well as I really, really want them to get a medal this year. They are so talented and just seem to be plagued by bad luck. Here's hoping for a :kickass: FD from them!

Sahararainfall
03-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Well, don't know about the others but as I posted earlier, I am just happy that they got through the SD very nicely as this segment is the one that gave them the most trouble this year. Nervously excited for the FD still so again, hope everybody skates clean and safe. Extra good luck to T/S. I have decided to root for P/B over W/P, tough choice but yea, GO PB! And C/L too!

HSGP21
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Still watching the SD the next day- and still impressed. The a** "grab" by Scott at the beginning of the temptation portion makes me smile, not sure he has done that before.

I also love that not only is Scott singing along, but Tessa seems to be chatting quite a bit too... the bubble, the talking, they certainly know how to become one to compete!

PashaFan
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
P/B, IMO, are one of the most underrated, if not the most underrated, team of this quad and possibly the previous one. They've made a lot of progress in their own skating these past few years, and if one of the other teams slips up, they are definitely more than good enough to capitalize on that.

I agree. I find P/B more entertaining than D/W. But I don't think they will get in the top two. They are shooting for bronze at best. I was quite shocked when I saw how close they were to D/W because I felt that P/B skated that dance with extra care & held back a little.
I don't get why the Shibutani's are rated so well. I find them really bland to watch & lose interest after a minute. Kinda like Bob/Sol.
Thank you Bue & Sequins for the info on Carron/Jones. I could not believe how low down they were:(

judgejudy27
03-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Pechalat & Bourzat have a chance at the silver if Davis & White make a big enough mistakes in the FD. The main key is to avoid a big mistake themselves and jeapordize their bronze.