PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

walei
03-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Well I for one was also shocked at D/W's score, it was WELL below their season's best! It's either they were over scored at the GPF or the judges really are aiming to tone it down with the scores here.

For the FD it's a very good draw for V/M. However I am still conservative in calling this competition over like the other camp. Last year V/M won the SD and lost decisively in the FD. Though I am definitely more hopeful because of the encouraging fact that for once their PCS outscored D/W across the board.

Proustable
03-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Shpilband/Zoueva
Virtue/Moir
Davis/White
Shibutanis
Chock/Bates
Lichtman/Copely
Devidas/Stagniunas

Who else?

Krylova/Camerlengo
O'Brien/Merriman
Hubbell/Donahue
Weaver/Poje
Aldredge/Eaton
Pechalat/Bourzat

Who else?

aka_gerbil
03-29-2012, 04:15 AM
Shpilband/Zoueva
Virtue/Moir
Davis/White
Shibutanis
Chock/Bates
Lichtman/Copely
Devidas/Stagniunas

Who else?

Krylova/Camerlengo
O'Brien/Merriman
Hubbell/Donahue
Weaver/Poje
Aldredge/Eaton
Pechalat/Bourzat

Who else?

I can't think of anyone off the top of my heads, but it does seem like both list are missing names for some reason. Aall of the coaching info would be listed on bios on the isu website or icenetwork.com if someone wants to through them.

Well I for one was also shocked at D/W's score, it was WELL below their season's best! It's either they were over scored at the GPF or the judges really are aiming to tone it down with the scores here.

For the FD it's a very good draw for V/M. However I am still conservative in calling this competition over like the other camp. Last year V/M won the SD and lost decisively in the FD. Though I am definitely more hopeful because of the encouraging fact that for once their PCS outscored D/W across the board.

This competetion definitely isn't over yet. It's way too soon to be saying anyone has won this thing.

bbkenn
03-29-2012, 04:17 AM
I am not shocked at the score for D&W as I think they've been overscored the past couple of years, but I am cautiously optimistic that V&M, if they skate with abandon and freedom like they did today, could be hard to beat. They have always improved over the year and peaked at the right time, whereas I have found that D&W tend to peak early and then just stay the same for the rest of the year. They did not skate this the best they ever had. Their rumba portion was much better at the GPF.

This year the judging got into V&M's head, once they determined not to let that happen again, they were back on top. They skated really, really well today. I'm very proud of them, however, I am not predicting anything.

Proustable
03-29-2012, 04:23 AM

All of the above?

a) The scores at the GPF were insane. Level fours were handed out like candy. We saw the consequences pretty instantly at Euros and 4CC - the tech panel was VERY restrained giving out the levels, and no teams matched their score at the GPF in either dance. GOEs were the same.

b) At the same time, we've heard some people complaining loudly at the way the judges have been handing out tens as well. Zhulin argued that a ten should be for something special. We saw D/W score two tens from the same judge at the CoR SD despite an obvious flaw that hurt the program and damaged the timing.

c) You've gotta wonder at the behind-the-scenes aspect too. The fact is, D/W and V/M are nearing the peak. V/M scored above 38 in PCS this competition! D/W had the highest PCS ever in any discipline for the CoR FD. They are literally in the position where going higher isn't merely unfeasible, it's practically impossible.

d) On top of that, I suspect the ISU wants the scores to get HIGHER as the Sochi nears, which means they can't max out here. We see this in a couple of the proposals on the table (having the transition lift being a scored element, for example).

e) So all these things means that the scores for the Canton quartet take a bit of a hit, whereas the rest of the teams actually don't suffer as much because their scores can still grow. It has the added bonus of making it a tighter race (seriously - did anyone expect P/B to be closer to D/W and V/M than to W/P heading into this week?)

shan
03-29-2012, 04:26 AM
I am not shocked at the score for D&W as I think they've been overscored the past couple of years, but I am cautiously optimistic that V&M, if they skate with abandon and freedom like they did today, could be hard to beat. They have always improved over the year and peaked at the right time, whereas I have found that D&W tend to peak early and then just stay the same for the rest of the year. They did not skate this the best they ever had. Their rumba portion was much better at the GPF.

I disagree. Last season their tango grew throughout the year and peaked at Worlds with their best performance of the season. I thought their POTO FD peaked at Worlds in 2010 and of course S & D was amazing at Worlds '09.

Proustable
03-29-2012, 04:27 AM
I disagree. Last season their tango grew throughout the year and peaked at Worlds with their best performance of the season. I thought their POTO FD peaked at Worlds in 2010 and of course S & D was amazing at Worlds '09.

Yeah, I don't quite get where this comes from, except that in the past they were more likely to beat V/M earlier in the season than later (4CC 2009, GPF 2009). That said, I don't think DF has improved to the same extent S&D or their tango did.

shan
03-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I don't quite get where this comes from, except that in the past they were more likely to beat V/M earlier in the season than later (4CC 2009, GPF 2009). That said, I don't think DF has improved to the same extent S&D or their tango did.

Yeah, I think DF has been so good from the start, we haven't seen huge changes.

Proustable
03-29-2012, 04:36 AM
I agree with half of that phrase :D

shan
03-29-2012, 04:37 AM

:P

sap5
03-29-2012, 04:40 AM

I thought it was good from the start as well! Right on!

walei
03-29-2012, 04:48 AM
All of the above?

e) So all these things means that the scores for the Canton quartet take a bit of a hit, whereas the rest of the teams actually don't suffer as much because their scores can still grow. It has the added bonus of making it a tighter race (seriously - did anyone expect P/B to be closer to D/W and V/M than to W/P heading into this week?)

I agree with your assessments but yet V/M got a season's best here at World's. Of course at GPF Scott fell but they did deliver solid skates in their Grand Prix and 4CC.

So I guess to answer my own question, I have always thought D/W were over scored and judges are not going to give out high 9s to 10s here at Worlds. Which means it's a feat for Tessa and Scott to actually receive a SB here!

Proustable
03-29-2012, 04:55 AM
How good are V/M? That even in a lesser piece of choreography their astonishing command of musical nuance and their almost subliminal detailing still amazes. Watching this dance again, you see those little things you didn't notice before - Scott extending his arm during the rotational lift; their arm movements in the twizzles, the way the opening of the second rhumba sequence so sensationally matches the descending chords of "Temptation."

Sending out good thoughts for an amazing FD.

walei - yep, but again room-to-grow. D/W were at 76+. Not much space left, especially when you hand back three+ points on levels.

zilam98
03-29-2012, 05:10 AM
what's up with marina's shades?

martyross
03-29-2012, 05:12 AM
yes i was impressed too,by all the little details of the dance especially when interpreting Temptation.perhaps expressing every word is a natural ability thats why it works with any choreo they're given. they are genius!