PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow, we've moved on to another thread already? :rollin:

yes, i love the new title for this thread.

As do I. Of course I'm going to have Hip Hip Chin Chin stuck in my head for the rest of the day but there are worse songs to have stuck in my head.

I'm very happy about the Finnstep for the Olympic season. I thought V&M did a fantastic job with it when it was the CD under the circumstances.

I have to say as much as I wasn't and still aren't totally happy about the OD being replaced by the SD, one good thing about it is that us Americans finally get to see CD's on a regular basis.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
.....I really wish that that the juniors and seniors were switched around for next year. I bet V/M would have rocked a Hip-Hop section. Haven't they both had Hip-Hop lessons? Or, maybe it's Scott that's had the Hip-Hop and Tessa who's had modern dance...

I'm actually glad that the seniors didn't get Hip-Hop because V&M are the only team I can think of off the top of my headwho would totally :kickass: with the Hip-Hop rhythm. The thought of most of the other teams doing Hip-Hip already has me cringing in second hand embarrasment.

I am curious to see how it turns out with the juniors. The Hip-Hop rhythm reminds me of the discussion over how successful it was to put Irish step dancing on ice. Neither rhythm usually meshes well with the gliding over the ice. And both rhythms are more of a stationary type dance.

Since ISU wants "happy" dances maybe V&M should do a Hip-Hop FD. But they would have to do it next season; I don't see that style winning Olympic gold.

pani
03-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm actually glad that the seniors didn't get Hip-Hop because V&M are the only team I can think of off the top of my headwho would totally :kickass: with the Hip-Hop rhythm.

And this will be good, because could show how much V-M more dancing tean then other.
But i think P-B could made good job with Hip-Hop too.
D-W show part of Hip-Hop in this year SD. :)
And i saw Elena Iliynikh junior video - she was great Hi-Hop dancer on the foor.

Since ISU wants "happy" dances maybe V&M should do a Hip-Hop FD. But they would have to do it next season; I don't see that style winning Olympic gold.

I hope they will stop with all that uplifting new rules and start working on more mature style. But Hip-Hop will be great for exibition :)

sap5
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
So, according to that SD article pani posted a few days back, V&M won't be competing past Sochi. What types of dances would people like to see as their final two FDs?

pani
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
So, according to that SD article pani posted a few days back, V&M won't be competing past Sochi. What types of dances would people like to see as their final two FDs?

Its sad :( I dont know. They never choose what we think they could :D
I only wish they will spend this two final chances on something :kickass:, wish show they are better, then others.
I wish they will use classical music for one on FDs.

HSGP21
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
There is so much they could do well- I'd love a fiery tango or flamenco, a classical piece, blues or jazz, or even the proper movie soundtrack could do.

I'd love someone to write a piece of music for them, as the Tragically Hip did for Kurt. How awesome would that be in London!

pani
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
There is so much they could do well- I'd love a fiery tango or flamenco, a classical piece, blues or jazz, or even the proper movie soundtrack could do.

I'd love someone to write a piece of music for them, as the Tragically Hip did for Kurt. How awesome would that be in London!

They did tango in juniors and flamenco at OG s i am sure they will notuse it again. Even if i still think V-M was born to dance tango :)

The Accordion
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I would like to see them do something totally modern / not lovey next year - like Pink Floyd but different - maybe like Meet Me at the Love Parade was for Bourne and Kraatz - in that sort of feel/vein and then a ballet the year after. I don't know which one.

Emdee
03-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Yes a Ballet for OLys to show them off - something passionate and ethereal at the same time.

ddtpdx
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120229&content_id=26917584&vkey=ice_news

Is it me or do the Finnstep and the polka seem ridiculous to do in consecutive years, similarly "steppy" and upbeat. I want some deep, smooth edges!

I think so too.
The paso doble would have been a good contrast.

ddtpdx
03-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Yes a Ballet for OLys to show them off - something passionate and ethereal at the same time.

I like giselle but perhaps too well known?
T&S seem to like to pick less popular pieces.

sequins
03-02-2012, 02:26 AM
I think so too.
The paso doble would have been a good contrast.

I agree. What's with all these 'happy' dances? Is it to go with the 'uplifting' rule:rolleyes:?
Maybe that can be our next title 'Ditch the polka bring on the Paso'

elle123
03-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I agree. What's with all these 'happy' dances? Is it to go with the 'uplifting' rule:rolleyes:?

I like that title!

If they had done Paso, I would've preferred them doing it 2013-2014 because that would've been two "latin" SDs in a row.

Sahararainfall
03-02-2012, 04:24 AM
I like giselle but perhaps too well known?
T&S seem to like to pick less popular pieces.

Maybe they like the challenge of popularizing the music of their choice instead of using safe, popular music (to the frustration of some of their fans). :D

Good title for the off season. We have to kill it though before next season starts. We don't want to offend the skating Gods and the higher people by using a slightly subversive/militant title. :lol:

I like that title!

If they had done Paso, I would've preferred them doing it 2013-2014 because that would've been two "latin" SDs in a row.

Finnstep for next year and Paso for the Oly season SD would have been nice. Anything but the polka.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-02-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm not sure what I think they should do for next season but I was thinking about what you guys discussed in the last thread. The next Olympic season would be the perfect time for V&M to do a sultry Blues piece. Tessa and Scott have grown so much both as skaters and as people that as much as I loved their Blues CD performance at Junior Worlds, they would blow that right out of the water. :smokin: