PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Emdee
03-11-2012, 09:59 PM
aka_gerbil
I dont totally agree . I think that V&M have a larger range so they could easily skate anything that D&W can skate but I think that D&W need certain programs to hide certain flaws in the skating. They have marvellous speed but I dont think they are masters of the blade.

I do see Pani's point though that while the blues could be smoking hot it could be very boring. It would highlight their lovely leg extensions and deep knees.

It will have to be a wait and see as I am sure that Marina has something planned for the next two years for them.

clarie
03-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I would really like something smoking hot - mature love - sultry - sexy with tones of raw emotion like I saw in Farrucas.

Ageed on that, but it's got to be a super-fine piece or pieces of music.

martyross
03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
an other love themed fd for next year? mmh. not sure it's what they'll do (or what i would like to see, to say it better). there's a little of curious coincidence. take a look at their music since the senior debut.

2007 valse triste
2008 umbrellas of cherbourg
2009 pink floyd
2010 Mahler
2011 latin medley
2012 funny face

in the even years, they did romantic-love themed programs in the classic sense (funny face being subtly different though). in the odd years, it's not about love. well, the latin medley featuring Temptation is about seduction and adultery, but it's certainly very far from their classic romantic style. i expect them to follow the pattern ahahah! but i have no idea on what they'll do. it could be anything. they like to stun people with their choices. i follow skating since 2008 and i've been surprised each year. i'm also sure that their genius will come in term with the horrid Yankee Polka as well and create something interesting and entertaining.

Shayii
03-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Omg I swear every time I leave the board this thread explodes and I miss all the fun lol, it's actually quite amusing now. Anyways I'm glad people like Berinin's Angels I love it and I know it's a little dark and different from anything T/S have ever done, but that's what would be cool if they did use it, it'll be something different for them (as a blues number would be too, I think). I also really like Palladio Rebuilt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19GE-aQGdg) also by Kerry Muzzey and I've imagined who could use this music, don't kill me pani, but I think D/W can really do the music justice. It has an almost ethereal quality to it. But I think you guys are right, their coaches probably do have the next two years already planned out for their teams.

sequins
03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Okay to go back in the thread I just wanna say that yes I would love them to skate to 'River' for their ex. number in the Olys year and yes Katy Perry's ET would be another fabulous choice for them.

FD I have no idea. Always thought about blues or something very dramatic and heart-wrenching but I have no idea what that would be. Plus they've never let me down before so I trust them but I do agree with Proustable no more tango.

taf2002
03-11-2012, 11:37 PM
aka_gerbil
I dont totally agree . I think that V&M have a larger range so they could easily skate anything that D&W can skate but I think that D&W need certain programs to hide certain flaws in the skating. They have marvellous speed but I dont think they are masters of the blade.

Easily? I don't think any team, including the legendary Torvill & Dean, could easily do that Bollywood OD. Not saying they couldn't do it, just that it wouldn't be easy. And I'm not sure V/M could do drama like Samson & Delilah or Prince Igor. Maybe they could but we really haven't seen them do drama. On the other hand, D/W can't do romance like V/M. Both teams have their strengths. No need to tear one team down to build up another.

Golightly
03-12-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't think saying V-M have more range is an insult to D-W, it's just a fact, their free dances over the years are proof of that. I also agree that a more dramatic free would certainly suit D-W much better, both teams (like any team) have their strengths and weaknesses, yes, but some have more range than others too. That doesn't mean that the team with the less range is bad and really, this has never been a problem for Meryl and Charlie, who know very well what works for them and use it. I think that is commendable and that is why they are the champions they are.

I go back to my tennis analogy: Roger Federer has more range than Rafael Nadal does, this is a fact: he is a shot-maker, he has more variety. Yet, look at their head-to-head. So, my point is, I am not insulting Nadal by saying he has less range (excellent defensive skills, always running to his FH, that's, in essence, his game), it is a fact. The same applies here: Virtue and Moir have shown more range and more willingness to skate to different themes over the years. Even if some people just disregard those themes and describe them as "just romantic programs".

Emdee
03-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks GoLightly, I dont know why these trolls are coming here to haunt us. All I am doing is stating my opinion.

I will revise my opinion slightly. Maybe V& M wont be able to do the dance easily but they will make it look so EASY! Wasnt that the comment about V&M that they make the very difficult look easy sometimes too easy!

shan
03-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks GoLightly, I dont know why these trolls are coming here to haunt us. All I am doing is stating my opinion.

So let me get this straight. You stated your opinion, but when someone states a disagreeing opinion, you consider them to be a troll?

elle123
03-12-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't think saying V-M have more range is an insult to D-W, it's just a fact, their free dances over the years are proof of that. I also agree that a more dramatic free would certainly suit D-W much better, both teams (like any team) have their strengths and weaknesses, yes, but some have more range than others too. That doesn't mean that the team with the less range is bad and really, this has never been a problem for Meryl and Charlie, who know very well what works for them and use it. I think that is commendable and that is why they are the champions they are.

Very nicely put, Golightly. Both teams have/know their strengths and play to them very well.

I will revise my opinion slightly. Maybe V& M wont be able to do the dance easily but they will make it look so EASY! Wasnt that the comment about V&M that they make the very difficult look easy sometimes too easy!

They do make everything look easy and the way they perform makes you forget about the elements.

Unfortunately with the written word, it is very easy to misinterpret what the poster had intended to say leading to all this dispute on the thread.

Emdee
03-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Actually, I am not tearing down D&W at all. I really do enjoy their performances. Just think V&M are the superior team.

Elle,you are right about the written word but sometimes its funny to see people get so riled up by the simplest of statements. Also hate their vicious attacks against Pani.

martyross
03-12-2012, 01:51 AM
So let me get this straight. You stated your opinion, but when someone states a disagreeing opinion, you consider them to be a troll?

yuk yuk!

http://www.imagehost.it/di-VFOU.jpg

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-12-2012, 02:23 AM
aka_gerbil
......I do see Pani's point though that while the blues could be smoking hot it could be very boring. It would highlight their lovely leg extensions and deep knees.

It will have to be a wait and see as I am sure that Marina has something planned for the next two years for them.

I see where you are coming from Emdee but we can say that about a number of dances.

I love a good Tango or Latin dance but all Tangos/Latin programs aren't created equal. It all depends on the choreographer the dancers work with.

In the past, I/Z have done some excellent memorable programs but lately they are doing what most of the other coaches/choreographers are doing and just coming up with serviceable but ultimately forgettable (once the season is over) choreography. Similar choreography that gets the needed levels.

I do think that the nature of the Blues will make that dance easier to make interesting than a Tango or Latin piece. Especially with a team like Tessa and Scott who can make even the most mundane material look amazing. I still wish that V&M could work with an outside choreographer.

zilam98
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I see where you are coming from Emdee but we can say that about a number of dances.

I love a good Tango or Latin dance but all Tangos/Latin programs aren't created equal. It all depends on the choreographer the dancers work with.

In the past, I/Z have done some excellent memorable programs but lately they are doing what most of the other coaches/choreographers are doing and just coming up with serviceable but ultimately forgettable (once the season is over) choreography. Similar choreography that gets the needed levels.

I do think that the nature of the Blues will make that dance easier to make interesting than a Tango or Latin piece. Especially with a team like Tessa and Scott who can make even the most mundane material look amazing. I still wish that V&M could work with an outside choreographer.

i am afraid though that igor and marina dont have the range to choreograph/coach a mature, sensual program for their teams. and that's where an outside input might be of help. i wish v/m would start exploring that artistic aspect with their exhibitions, but i dont think going on a blues route is even on their sights, all the more for sochi.

zilam98
03-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Actually, I am not tearing down D&W at all. I really do enjoy their performances. Just think V&M are the superior team.

Elle,you are right about the written word but sometimes its funny to see people get so riled up by the simplest of statements. Also hate their vicious attacks against Pani.

and this is where people need to read posts and write replies more carefully, and not just start accusing people or make insinuations.