PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread 15: The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

jl22aries
03-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Their body language any time we are lucky enough to get a camera on them! During practice, backstage, on the podium, warming up, you name it. One of the cutest things is at the beginning of their 04/05 FD performance at...worlds I think? During the opening pose their hands look to accidentally brush and then they hold and squeeze hands for the briefest of moments.

Oy. You know you're a fangirl when...

HSGP21
03-10-2012, 03:11 AM
An interesting read, purely because Tessa and Scott's PR challenges (and perhaps lack of initiative) are so similar. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/fashion/meryl-davis-and-charlie-white-seek-olympic-gold-in-russia-in-2014-will-endorsements-follow.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2

DORISPULASKI
03-10-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm sure Tessa & Scott also turned down the opportunity to pose nude.

I wonder whether any skaters took ESPN up on the offer?

Golightly
03-10-2012, 03:32 AM
“There are some other skating pairs who sort of play with the media, pretending they might be a couple,” Ms. Davis said. “But I think people respect and appreciate Charlie and my relationship, and we would never want to pretend it was something else.”

ZIIIING. :rofl:

shan
03-10-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm sure Tessa & Scott also turned down the opportunity to pose nude.

I wonder whether any skaters took ESPN up on the offer?

You mean besides Evora and Ladwig?

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80514

Shayii
03-10-2012, 04:08 AM
An interesting read, purely because Tessa and Scott's PR challenges (and perhaps lack of initiative) are so similar. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/fashion/meryl-davis-and-charlie-white-seek-olympic-gold-in-russia-in-2014-will-endorsements-follow.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2

That's an interesting article. IDK though I just don't think Tessa and Scott want exposure like that. I think I've said it before that if they wanted that kind of exposure they could easily get it especially with Canada having more of a skating audience than America. It's so sad, none of my friends care about figure skating and every time I mention it they look at me like I'm crazy :(. One did tag along with me to Skate America though cuz she remembered Meryl and Charlie from the Olympics and wanted to see them (she prefers them to T/S lol).

aka_gerbil
03-10-2012, 04:11 AM
This is from several pages back now, but this is the first chance I've had to answer when my brain wasn't completely fried from non-skating things...

Mmm why aren't the situations and the issues the same. The reason T/S would leave Canton is if they're not winning like they want to, right?

IMO, it's not really as simple as it just being about winning; it more has to do with the nuances in the "why" part of the scenario, and that's were things deviate between B/A and V/M.

I'm just going to briefly touch on politics. V/M, especially as the reigning OGM's, aren't likely to lose the #1 ice dance team status with Skate Canada. W/P have improved for sure, but it just doesn't seem likely they would catch and surpass V/M. B/A had more competetion for the US #1 spot from D/W; losing the US #1 spot probably hurt them in the long run (ie. the latter part of the 09/10 season).

Moving on, when B/A left Canton, they were a team that hadn't been able to make it to the very top yet, despite expectations that they would. V/M have already made it to the top: they have the OGM and a world title. I think having been to the top, and the fact that they are one of the top teams in the world, are thought of as being equal to their closest rivals, etc., would help protect them. (Granted, at the time B/A were competing, the overall field was a lot deeper, IMO, than it is right now. Once you get outside the top few teams, things start to drop off pretty quickly. For most of the time that B/A were competing, at least the top 5 teams were all typically considered legitmate contenders for the #1 spot, depending on the day so to speak.) At any rate, there's a difference between being thought of as one of the top two teams in the world and being thought of as a team that hasn't yet been able to reach the very top (i.e. the fall at 2008 Worlds and falling just short of the gold at the 2009 Worlds--although I think that 2009 was more due to politics than anything else.)

When B/A left, it was because they felt they were slipping behind, hadn't been able to get a world title yet, and they had things that they needed to polish up in their skating that weren't being fixed in Canton. Also, there's the issue of feeling like they weren't getting the attention they needed out of their coaches, who were instead focusing on the younger up-and-coming teams.

If V/M leave, I think it'll have more to do with the fact that they and D/W are competing for the same spots and it's impossible at this point for Igor and Marina to give both V/M and D/W what they both want at the same time.

I feel like I'm doing a bad job articulating some of my thoughts/ feelings on why the two situations are different, but I wanted to try to answer anyway.

At any rate, I think V/M would fair a lot better than B/A. Also, while I'm back on the subject, I want to point out what would be the closest historical situation in ice dance: when Grishuk and Platov left Linichuk for Tarasova in 1996 when they felt like Linichuk was favoring Krylova/Ovsyannikov. IMO, it would be the far more comparable situation with the reigning OGM's leaving when they felt a rival team was being preferred by the coaches. It's a move that definitely paid off for G/P in that they ended up winning their second OGM.

ETA:

That's an interesting article. IDK though I just don't think Tessa and Scott want exposure like that. I think I've said it before that if they wanted that kind of exposure they could easily get it especially with Canada having more of a skating audience than America. It's so sad, none of my friends care about figure skating and every time I mention it they look at me like I'm crazy :(. One did tag along with me to Skate America though cuz she remembered Meryl and Charlie from the Olympics and wanted to see them (she prefers them to T/S lol).

Just from various things they've said over the years, I don't think they want that kind of exposure either. I've gotten the impression that they're perfectly content to train and fly under the radar. They seem to be more interested in training and competeing than being big-time celebrities. IMO, if they don't want that kind of attention, there's absolutely nothing wrong in the world with them not seeking that out.

Shayii
03-10-2012, 04:32 AM
This is from several pages back now, but this is the first chance I've had to answer when my brain wasn't completely fried from non-skating things...

IMO, it's not really as simple as it just being about winning; it more has to do with the nuances in the "why" part of the scenario, and that's were things deviate between B/A and V/M.

I'm just going to briefly touch on politics. V/M, especially as the reigning OGM's, aren't likely to lose the #1 ice dance team status with Skate Canada. W/P have improved for sure, but it just doesn't seem likely they would catch and surpass V/M. B/A had more competetion for the US #1 spot from D/W; losing the US #1 spot probably hurt them in the long run (ie. the latter part of the 09/10 season).

Moving on, when B/A left Canton, they were a team that hadn't been able to make it to the very top yet, despite expectations that they would. V/M have already made it to the top: they have the OGM and a world title. I think having been to the top, and the fact that they are one of the top teams in the world, are thought of as being equal to their closest rivals, etc., would help protect them. (Granted, at the time B/A were competing, the overall field was a lot deeper, IMO, than it is right now. Once you get outside the top few teams, things start to drop off pretty quickly. For most of the time that B/A were competing, at least the top 5 teams were all typically considered legitmate contenders for the #1 spot, depending on the day so to speak.) At any rate, there's a difference between being thought of as one of the top two teams in the world and being thought of as a team that hasn't yet been able to reach the very top (i.e. the fall at 2008 Worlds and falling just short of the gold at the 2009 Worlds--although I think that 2009 was more due to politics than anything else.)

When B/A left, it was because they felt they were slipping behind, hadn't been able to get a world title yet, and they had things that they needed to polish up in their skating that weren't being fixed in Canton. Also, there's the issue of feeling like they weren't getting the attention they needed out of their coaches, who were instead focusing on the younger up-and-coming teams.

If V/M leave, I think it'll have more to do with the fact that they and D/W are competing for the same spots and it's impossible at this point for Igor and Marina to give both V/M and D/W what they both want at the same time.

I feel like I'm doing a bad job articulating some of my thoughts/ feelings on why the two situations are different, but I wanted to try to answer anyway.

At any rate, I think V/M would fair a lot better than B/A. Also, while I'm back on the subject, I want to point out what would be the closest historical situation in ice dance: when Grishuk and Platov left Linichuk for Tarasova in 1996 when they felt like Linichuk was favoring Krylova/Ovsyannikov. IMO, it would be the far more comparable situation with the reigning OGM's leaving when they felt a rival team was being preferred by the coaches. It's a move that definitely paid off for G/P in that they ended up winning their second OGM.

ETA:

Just from various things they've said over the years, I don't think they want that kind of exposure either. I've gotten the impression that they're perfectly content to train and fly under the radar. They seem to be more interested in training and competeing than being big-time celebrities. IMO, if they don't want that kind of attention, there's absolutely nothing wrong in the world with them not seeking that out.

No, you did a great job explaining why you thought it wasn't the same situation. Thanks for explaining it to me though. I still don't think Tessa and Scott will leave Canton though, but I know nothing I could very well be wrong. And yes you're right there is nothing wrong with the fact that they don't want that attention, for selfish reasons I wish that they did though lol.

pani
03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
“There are some other skating pairs who sort of play with the media, pretending they might be a couple,” Ms. Davis said. “But I think people respect and appreciate Charlie and my relationship, and we would never want to pretend it was something else.”

:D
(“It is a healthy, friendly rivalry,” Ms. Davis said.) - yes Ms. Davis.
Maybe its hard for T-S competitiors, when they are not a couple, but could take Iscar for how they play this role :D

As for nude photos. I am sure T-S never consider this. I feel like they dont need to do something like this to have more attention ;)
I remember Shae-Lynn Bourne and Lobacheva-Averbukh made nude photos and it look beautifull. I also remeber Victoria Volchkova nude photos, Berezhnay-Siharulidze.
The last one were Savchenko-Szolkovi.

Emdee
03-10-2012, 01:00 PM
^^^ Agree!

It has to be hard for others when T&S look like they were made for each other. All the videos from ubers who believe that they will one day be more than friends are a hoot.

clarie
03-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Tessa and Scott have never "pretended" to be a couple. From the onset, they have always maintained that they are just very close friends and partners. The just have the right look and connection for people (fans) to want to "ship" them. I truly believe it is definitely not an act, but mutual love and respect for each other like very close family members.

VarBar
03-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Always classy and elegant in their statements?:rolleyes::confused:

martyross
03-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I also remeber Victoria Volchkova nude photos, Berezhnay-Siharulidze.

nude photos of Anton Sikharulidze?? where?? <3 <3 <3 <3 :lol:

pani
03-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Tessa and Scott have never "pretended" to be a couple. From the onset, they have always maintained that they are just very close friends and partners. The just have the right look and connection for people (fans) to want to "ship" them. I truly believe it is definitely not an act, but mutual love and respect for each other like very close family members.

Ms. Davis know better - she is very close friend of them ;)

I think soon Meryl will post on her twitter - "dont like when someone put words in my mouth" :D Like Tanith did, when in video interview before 2009-2010 season she said she and Ben have more difficult programs with difficult elemnts and transition, when some teams show only acrobatics ;)

But why Meryl need to say this - i cant remember they ever were asked are thee a couple off ice :confused:

martyross
03-10-2012, 02:36 PM
i have no problems with skaters, or everyone else, who speak out their mind in the press. hiding behind the "some people", that's different, and i don't like it.
seems that 4CC was difficult to accept for Meryl Davis.