PDA

View Full Version : Nam Nguyen VS Nathan Chen

Pages : 1 [2] 3

pinky166
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Nam's parents are both really short. I think Nam will grow, but he is unlikely to hit 5'5" ( of course I think he is only about 4'5" now lol!)

According to his ISU bio he is actually 4'11" (150 cm), so he's tiny but not nearly as small as you thought. I'm pretty sure Chen is smaller at this point, he is probably around 4'9" if I had to guess, but he is also a year younger than Nam. I hope Nam does better in the FS at JW, he had 2 mistakes in the SP which caused him to be a bit buried in the standings. But, the points are close, so he definitely has room to pull up into the top 10!

Sylvia
03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
And even though he's not from North America, Shoma Uno is another "small" one (listed as 142 cm tall in his ISU bio) to watch! ;)

Zemgirl
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I doubt Nathan Chen is much taller than 4'7'' at the moment - looking at the podium pic from US Nationals (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_nationals/junmen12.htm), he is much shorter than everyone else. For comparison, Dolensky is listed at 1.70m on his ISU bio.

I think they are both very young and anything can happen, but if I had to call it - Chen seems to me more likely to succeed. It helps that he will not be called upon to be the next Patrick Chan after Sochi; I think Nguyen may face more pressure, and there's the coaching situation...

Triple Butz
03-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Nguyen has landed a 3A which is a major accomplishment, but Chen is still a lot further along overall if you ask me. Nguyen's jumps are prone to under-rotation calls, most notably his 3toe in combination which is a full on toe-axel. He is young and hopefully can correct these technical issues as he grows. Chen, on the other hand has much better technique and air positions on the jumps he is able to do at this point, though he will want to be on the lookout for lip calls in the future IMO.

pinky166
03-02-2012, 12:19 AM
And even though he's not from North America, Shoma Uno is another "small" one (listed as 142 cm tall in his ISU bio) to watch! ;)

Just watched his SP! He is so adorable! Looks even smaller than Chen. Pizazz in spades. Those 3 are cutie patooties.

skatesindreams
03-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Nathan has that magical extra "something" that all competitors hope for; and few actually possess.
His performances shine; and audiences and judges alike look forward to what he will do next.

That quality, combined with his strong work ethic; and great support/coaching bodes well for him.

feraina
03-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Nathan Chen and Shoma Uno both have more of an "it" factor and better skating skills than Nam Nguyen. In addition, Chen has the best jump technique out of the three (Shoma has such distractingly bad techniques on his toe jumps!). I think to keep abreast with Nathan Chen, the other two both have to change their coaching situations.

Why do talented Japanese skaters keep on going to Machiko Yamada? Yukari Nakano, despite being a really lovely and talented skater, could never overcome the wrap that she learned under Yamada, and which ultimately limited her competitive success. Mao's flutz, toe-axel, weak 3S, unorthodox 3F entry, and other jump woes, originated with Yamda as well. Kanako Murakami also developed that broken-legged mule kick on her toe jumps that Shoma Uno is also saddled with, not to mention the dreaded flutz. I mean, to the untrained eye (of the parents and young skaters), I'm sure they see the allure of Yamada's having former skaters with obvious competitive success, and not so much the technical shortcomings.

I guess the same could be said of McLeod... sadly.

pinky166
03-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Nathan Chen is a child prodigy. Nam and Shoma are certainly very talented, but I'd say Nathan is in a league of his own right now. His jump technique, spins, and intricate footwork are all :eek: good coming from a 75 pound 12 year old boy. Of course, it doesn't mean that Nam and Shoma can't catch up in the future or that Nathan could struggle down the line, but I expect Nathan to be a force in the future and trust Raphael to do a good job with him.

Rafter
03-02-2012, 03:51 PM
As long as Nam is coached by MacLeod with her quirky choreography and costume choices, Chen will have an advantage.

aftershocks
03-03-2012, 03:04 AM
For some reason the poll doesn't work for me. Can't even see the results. Who's winning?

Sylvia
03-03-2012, 03:06 AM
Nathan Chen has 30 votes, Nguyen 14.

I watched a Salt Lake City local TV news report recently that featured Chen's coach, Genia Chernyshova, being shown working with a young girl on edge and turn exercises. I think Chernyshova should receive a LOT of credit for teaching Chen the basics so well.

aftershocks
03-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks Sylvia! Make that 31 for Chen with my vote, even tho' the poll is not accepting it for some reason. :)

Nathan has that magical extra "something" that all competitors hope for; and few actually possess.
His performances shine; and audiences and judges alike look forward to what he will do next.

That quality, combined with his strong work ethic; and great support/coaching bodes well for him.

ITA!

pinky166
03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Did people watch Chen's EX at the Nationals Skating Spectacular? He skated to "Stereo Hearts" and had all these fun hip hop dance moves in the program, it was really impressive and he seemed really comfortable out there. In addition to being completely adorable, he totally sold the program well and felt the music, wasn't shy at all, that kind of versatility and confidence from a 12 year old is very promising and bodes well for future success. Chen has already learned how to work the crowd and knows he has the goods, but isn't cocky. He has all the attributes of a champion IMO.

Don't know much about Nguyen but he seems promising too. Nathan though I expect to tear up the JGP next season, and I bet we'll see 3a from him starting this summer, his technique is just so good.

mag
03-03-2012, 05:10 PM
This was posted by Syliva in the Jr. Worlds, Men's Free Skate thread:

Nam Nguyen CAN 3A, 3Lz-3T, 3F, 3Lo shaky, 3Lz, 2A-2T-2Lo, 3S-2T shaky.

I believe it is based on a tweet. Nice to see the 3A in qualifying wasn't a fluke.

skatesindreams
03-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Here is Nathan's winning 2012 Nationals FS (Home Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJB_fUtT1tU