PDA

View Full Version : Wealthy banker tells waitress to "get a real job"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kevind85
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-tip-incites-class-warfare-between-1-164624882.html

If all food service employees got "real jobs" who would serve this piece of *&^% his food?

Sylvia
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Edit: My helpful [url] tag hints were not very helpful, sorry.... oh good, you got it to work!

Jenna
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
What an @$$! :rolleyes: :mad:

He'll get his.

BigB08822
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
That is insane. Maybe he should learn to cook himself a "real" meal, then. If he is a banker then maybe he is the one who needs a real job as it seems most banks are nothing but failures and full of frauds anyway.

Prancer
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Edit: My helpful [url] tag hints were not very helpful, sorry.... oh good, you got it to work!

No, I did.

How to post a link the easy way:

Copy the URL you want to link. Paste it here in a post. Click Return after you paste in the URL.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-tip-incites-class-warfare-between-1-164624882.html

That should do it.

If it doesn't, type [url]

Paste in your URL.

Type [/url and add a ] at the end.

As in [url]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-tip-incites-class-warfare-between-1-164624882.html[/url

Add ] back there after the l

How to post a fancier hidden link:

Copy the URL.

Come back here; click Post.

Type in what you want to say, like Banker says "Get a real job."

Highlight the phrase you typed.

Up above the Post box, somewhere around the middle, there's this weird little icon that looks sort of like a globe on wheels. Click on that. A box will pop up with a line for your URL. Paste it in there. Click OK.

And then you should have:

Banker says "Get a real job." (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-tip-incites-class-warfare-between-1-164624882.html)

Or you can just paste your URL into the box exactly as above without typing text first, and it will make a hyperlink of your URL.

triple_toe
02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Why on Earth is this news? Yes, the guy is a huge jerk. Yes, he gave her a bad tip. But newsworthy? This kind of stuff happens every day and the waitress (if she's the one who took this story to the news agency) comes off a bit attention-whorey.

I don't think this is a symbol of class warfare, the 99% vs the 1%, or anything at all beyond a rude patron at a restaurant. I also don't think anyone would give a flying fig if he were a plumber and not an eville banker. YMMV.

PDilemma
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
From the article linked:

The picture of the receipt was taken and uploaded to the blog Future Ex-Banker by a person who was dining with the anonymous banker.

She was not being an attention whore.

Hannahclear
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Is this story really true? It seems like it's almost too perfect for the theme being expounded upon.

But if it is true, what an utter jerk.

genevieve
02-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I also think it's too perfect to be true - and why would the other person dining have a photo of the actual receipt? It would be hard for someone to whip out their camera and take a picture of a receipt on a table (or more likely in one of those billfold things) without being onvious. not doubting that there are people who do this sort of thing, just not just this particular story is completely true.

Oh, and this (emphasis mine):

The Web's general reaction to this story is eerily similar to an almost identical 1% vs. 99% scenario that took place last fall. In Washington state, a waitress received a tip of no money and advice scrawled on the receipt that told her she could "stand to lose a few pounds."
story took place in Seattle and had NOTHING to do with 1% vs. 99%. And regardless of how it started (there are conflicting reports, including at least one rendition that had the waitress telling the woman in the party she could "stand to gain a few pounds" during the meal), it ended up being an internet witch hunt, including identifying the wrong person as the guy who'd left the tip resulting in someone who had nothing to do with it getting death threats. And the waitress in question, who had posted the identifying information online and then watched the ensuing shitstorm, said nothing more than just "oopsie, I guess I got that one wrong" and still works at the bar.

It was a fascinating example of the internet rage machine, and I will never set foot in that restaurant again for the way they handled it. This is coming from a former waitress who thinks it's never ok to leave that kind of comment on a receipt.

nerdycool
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
I don't doubt it was true. Some people are real @$$es when it comes to tips and how they determine what they give. My husband is one of those people, so I know they exist.

Now I don't know if this banker regularly tips 1% as a way to stick it to the 99% or if it is just what he gives perceived crappy service in general. Either way, it's a convenient story to motivate the Occupy movement.

allezfred
02-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Whether this story is true or not, I love how the person on the video introduces the story as one of the worst things you'll see. I guess war, famine, murder and rape are nothing when compared to someone getting a bad tip. :lol:

leesaleesa
02-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Eh, worked as a waitress and bartender, dealt with similiar customers. Part of the job. I wish I had gotten a cute message like "Lose a few pounds" or whatever on a check-That would have made me laugh.

Not all wait staff is that nice, either.

Civic
02-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Waiting tables is a "real" job as are working the cash register at Walmart and flipping burgers at McDonald's. They may not be prestigious or well paying jobs but they are legitimate jobs that pay a salary.

Tinami Amori
02-28-2012, 03:59 AM
It would be fair to hear the banker's side of the story, and what interactions took place between "client" and "waiter". Most people don't go out of their way to insult and to get so personal with a waiter, unless they butted heads over something....

I worked in sandwich shops and restaurants while in school. Sometimes a client strikes you the wrong way for no serious reason. He/she may look funny, act too demanding, be fat and order a huge meal, make a joke you don't appreciate, ask you a question you don't like.. It's important to watch your facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, etc...at least up to a certain point... Sometimes something said with best intentions can cause a problem..... like saying "we have a good selection of salads" to an over-weight woman, or suggesting "the washroom is in the back if you want to wash your hands" to a construction worker.

I wonder what the banker has to say...

jenny12
02-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Waiting tables is a "real" job as are working the cash register at Walmart and flipping burgers at McDonald's. They may not be prestigious or well paying jobs but they are legitimate jobs that pay a salary.

Yeah, that was the part that was infuriating. I worked as a waitress before and if I got a bad tip, I accepted it. So, if this guy wants to leave a bad tip or no tip, more power to him, but his message to the waitress was ridiculous. Like Civic, I agree that being a waiter is as real as any other job. I think this guy's message was different than saying something stupid than "lose a few pounds" or whatever. This was dismissing the job itself as worthless.