PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Red Carpet and Ceremony

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66

equatorial
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Oh please. The Oscar for Shakespeare In Love wasn't a monstrosity?

No, it wasn't. Who in their right mind would consider the Oscar an award for quality? Excuse me, Ingmar Bergman lost Best Director to George Roy Hill in 1973. Ingmar fecking Bergman. And Arthur Penn ("Bonnie and Clyde") lost it to Mike Nichols ("The Graduate"). Who would even care for the Oscars? Al Pacino's performances in "The Godfather" snubbed, but he is eventually rewarded for that crap titled "Scent of a Woman"?

equatorial
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
This!
No one forces you to watch it.

Huh? I watched this $hit once and it was more than enough. No one forced me, true. But I am as entitled to have my own subjective opinions as everyone else. So, here it is again: "The Sound of Music" is deplorable crap :HA!:

taf2002
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Guilty pleasure: I loved Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman.

I like Christopher Plummer's acting but I thought it was awful of him to dub that film the sound of mucus. Didn't he read the script? Didn't he take the money? Either turn the film down or keep your mouth shut. That's like biting the hand that feeds you.

ETA: if he wants to complain about crap, why was he in Must Like Dogs?

IceAlisa
02-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Must Love Dogs has one of my favorite opening credits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0JBh65VZg&feature=related).

equatorial
02-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Guilty pleasure: I loved Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman.

I like Christopher Plummer's acting but I thought it was awful of him to dub that film the sound of mucus. Didn't he read the script? Didn't he take the money? Either turn the film down or keep your mouth shut. That's like biting the hand that feeds you.

It sounds a bit like "why is she a waitress when she can go into molecular biology and win a Nobel Prize". Actors would go for anything to stay in profession. How many crappy movies has Michael Caine done? And he is a top talent, bordering on greatness. Being an actor means being forever dependent on other people.

Cheylana
02-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I love The Sound Of Music. :shuffle:

i'd run over almost everyone i've ever met to see it
Me too -- it's one of the classics that I would love to see it on the big screen someday! :)

By the way, even Plummer has softened his stance on TSOM, conceding it was a well-made film, but just not his cup of tea.

danceronice
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
It sounds a bit like "why is she a waitress when she can go into molecular biology and win a Nobel Prize". Actors would go for anything to stay in profession. How many crappy movies has Michael Caine done? And he is a top talent, bordering on greatness. Being an actor means being forever dependent on other people.

Michael Caine once said about a film he was in "No, I haven't seen it. But I have seen the vacation home it paid for, and it's lovely." Despite what a very few actors get (where even after taxes, with half a brain and a bit of more reserved living they could afford to never work again) it's usually a question of "Do I get a paycheck or not?"

Sparks
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Me too -- it's one of the classics that I would love to see it on the big screen someday! :)

By the way, even Plummer has softened his stance on TSOM, conceding it was a well-made film, but just not his cup of tea.

At one of the cast reunions, Christopher and Julie told the story about how they couldn't stop laughing while they were filming the love scene at the gazebo. They were good friends, and found the whole thing goofy. So, the scene is filmed in dark profiles to hide their giggles. :lol:

Cheylana
02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
At one of the cast reunions, Christopher and Julie told the story about how they couldn't stop laughing while they were filming the love scene at the gazebo. They were good friends, and found the whole thing goofy. So, the scene is filmed in dark profiles to hide their giggles. :lol:
:rofl:
I must admit, that is a fast-forward scene for me. It was just so ridiculous that they burst into a spontaneous duet in the middle of their making-out session. And the song was so boring to me :lol:

Love me some "Do Re Mi" though :cool:

AxelAnnie
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM

OMG I loved that scene. The whole movie saved my life...it came out the summer my dad died (I was 16). I could retreat there and be happy. I thought it was so lovely and so pure.

I read in Julie's autobiography (I think) that that scene was the very last one filmed, and they were punch-drunk exhausted.

When they send residual checks to Mr. Plummer....does he give them to charity?

luna_skater
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Christopher Plummer on The Sound of Music in 2011:

People were unnaturally sentimental about the film. So I always gave it a tough time. But a few years ago, I went to an Easter party and had to watch the damn thing with these kids. I was a prisoner! And then I thought, it's got everything - the lovely songs, the Nazis and the nuns and the kids. It's timeless and I'm grateful for it.

And on an unspecified date:

Yeah, it drives me nuts. It has nothing to do with the movie, it's just a relentless pursuing of this film that goes on and on and I've gone on and on, far above and beyond it and then to be reminded of it, God almighty what is the matter with people?

:rofl:

Both quotes from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/bio#quotes).

Wyliefan
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
That film made countless women think he's one of the hottest studs ever. He oughta milk it. ;)

danceronice
02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
When they send residual checks to Mr. Plummer....does he give them to charity?

It's not a TV commerical where they get paid when it's shown. If he's like most actors, especially before 1977, he doesn't get residuals. He got paid to make the movie and that's it. Before George Lucas very cleverly gave Fox a "deal" where instead of all the money up front, he kept the merchandising rights to Star Wars (and got staggeringly rich off them), even most producers and writers and such didn't continue to make money off a film. Even now I think it would be a very rare case where actors get a percentage of gross (anyone who takes a percentage of net is likely never to see a paycheck) after the initial release. So I'm sure whatever Mr. Plummer was paid for Sound of Music was nothing like some modern acting paychecks and is long gone.

And I kind of agree with him as far as the obsessing over SoM goes--I mean, it's a pretty good movie, it's pretty, some of the songs are catchy, but as far as something people are going to fixate on....um, why?

Wyliefan
02-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Why not? Better than fixating on Titanic or Twilight, if you ask me. :)

my little pony
02-29-2012, 07:07 PM
considering the length of some of our uber threads, and that doesnt even scratch the surface - this is an odd place to question what is and isnt obsessed over