PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Red Carpet and Ceremony

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

AshleyN
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I liked Rooney's hair - a LOT! I don't remember her dress.I didn't love her dress but her hair and makeup were flawless IMO.

it's like any other pbp thread. someone will be proclaimed too thin to go on, although they generally look ok to me. and you cant say anyone looks unfit or there is :angryfireHonestly, if I never hear another variation of "[insert actress here] needs to eat a sandwich/burger/cookie/etc." as long as I live, it'll be way too soon.

God it must suck to be a woman in Hollywood sometimes.

DarrellH
02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Michelle Williams looked great! With her haircut and smaller figure, she looked like she could play an early Mia Farrow.

skatingfan5
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
I have to :wideeyes: at the collective FSU celebrating of how wonderful Octavia looks while insisting that Angelina is unhealthy looking. (Some exclaiming both in the same post!)I took most comments about Octavia's appearance to be about how flattering they thought her dress was -- as opposed to how very unflattering Melissa McCarthy's was -- and not on her possible health. Both women are clearly very overweight, which isn't the best thing for their health, but that would seem to be rather obvious. Of course YMMV. RE: Angelina's weight -- she didn't appear any thinner than she has in recent years, so it didn't register with me at all. Perhaps I was just :rolleyes: about her leg pose on stage or :yikes: about Brad's hair to notice anything else about that couple.

Michalle
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
it's like any other pbp thread. someone will be proclaimed too thin to go on, although they generally look ok to me. and you cant say anyone looks unfit or there is :angryfire

There's a difference between criticizing someone for being thin and saying someone looks unhealthy. Angelina is starting to look like a skeleton. Her equivalent in terms of the other side of the spectrum isn't someone like Octavia Spenser, it's more like someone who is 400-500 pounds. She didn't always look like this. I don't think Octavia Spenser does look particularly unhealthy, but Angelina definitely does, whether she actually is or isn't.

Libertango
02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
A question: Do the French care? Just curious about the reaction overseas.

As a French I am glad The Artist won but above everything I'm relieved it's FINALLY over! The media hype over that movie in France was unbearable!!!

skatesindreams
02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Best dressed (in no particular order)

Octavia Spencer
Mila Jovovich
Penelope Cruz
Gwyneth Paltrow

I loved Michelle Williams' dress - except for the peplum at the waist!

Dislikes:

Rooney Mara - no one so pale as she should ever wear white
Jessica Chastain - as someone said upthread, the dress looked poorly constructed.

Some dresses photographed better; or looked better onstage, than they appeared on the red carpet.

overedge
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you, that's what I was going to say. Playing someone who is real vs. made up is more difficult because the audience has a frame of reference to compare them to. If done wrong it will look like an SNL parody.

I'm talking about the difficulty for the actor's work, not the difficulty of how the audience might respond. And I still believe it is more difficult for the actor to create a believable character from a work of fiction than it is to imitate a real person.

Anita18
02-27-2012, 09:13 PM
A :sekret: in showbiz tells me that it's the up-and-coming actors who are usually the insecure ones (this was wrt the Christian Bale rant a few years ago). The veteran A-listers like Meryl Streep behave better as a rule.

Of course, there are exceptions. I am told Ellen Page has always been nice.
Christian Bale has been acting in movies since he was 13. :shuffle: Though to be fair, he'd had his share of very down years and was experiencing a resurgence in popularity at the time and probably felt pressure not to mess it up.

Though I still attribute most of the rant to typical Bale intensity. :P Off-set he seems to be more relaxed and obviously can take jokes about it now. I was still surprised he managed to play nice last year when it paid off with him winning the Oscar. Didn't think he could be tied down to do so. :lol:

Really the performance that brought tears to my eyes was Bechir's and I only saw the previews. I admire Clooney and Pitt because they do believe in doing what they can to help in certain dire situations. Oldman is a sentimental favorite of mine. I'm glad Jean won--The French have wonderful film history/tradition and I'm surprised this is their first Best Actor win. A question: Do the French care? Just curious about the reaction overseas.
My aforementioned French coworker hopes that the French movie industry will stop insisting on making boring pseudo-intellectual movies that take too much taxpayer money to make and tank at the box office. :shuffle: He said Hazanavicius was never taken seriously, but his films were always entertaining and always made money.

Huzzah for the Hollywoodization of France! :rollin:

I took most comments about Octavia's appearance to be about how flattering they thought her dress was -- as opposed to how very unflattering Melissa McCarthy's was -- and not on her possible health. Both women are clearly very overweight, which isn't the best thing for their health, but that would seem to be rather obvious. Of course YMMV. RE: Angelina's weight -- she didn't appear any thinner than she has in recent years, so it didn't register with me at all. Perhaps I was just :rolleyes: about her leg pose on stage or :yikes: about Brad's hair to notice anything else about that couple.
Right. Angelina has looked this thin for years.

pollyanna
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
J-Lo's other Oscar dress (http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/2012-oscar-parties-1330323237-slideshow/)

Too much plunge for my taste, but the color is gorgeous on her.

overedge
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
J-Lo's other Oscar dress (http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/2012-oscar-parties-1330323237-slideshow/)

Too much plunge for my taste, but the color is gorgeous on her.

J-Lo needs to put 'em away, it's not like no one has ever seen her cleavage before (yawn).

Wyliefan
02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Honestly, if I never hear another variation of "[insert actress here] needs to eat a sandwich/burger/cookie/etc." as long as I live, it'll be way too soon.

God it must suck to be a woman in Hollywood sometimes.

Maybe we're just tired of having stick figures paraded in front of us -- and a little concerned about the women who are told they have to look like this in order for us to watch them. When I see, say, Hilarie Burton on White Collar disappearing every time she turns sideways, I can't help thinking that someone's got to say something.

allezfred
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Elton John should stop giving people reasons why gay people shouldn't be allowed to have children.

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/2012-oscar-parties-slideshow/david-furnish-elton-john-zachary-photo-1330322908.html

That child looks like a stroppy brat already. :scream:

AragornElessar
02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
She was amazing in that but for me her best performance is in "Dangerous Liaisons". I think she deserved one for that role.

My all time favourite Glenn Close movie. Even all the viewings on both VHS and DVD, that scene when we see her react to Valmont's death gives me the chills every single time I watch it.

She was w/out a doubt robbed that year.

susan6
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
I've only seen the previews for the Artist, but....the lead actress takes me right out of the mood. She is just too modern-looking for that movie. Female movie star faces were more rounded then, with wider eyes and smaller smiles. I see her grinning in the preview and it just looks wrong.

overedge
02-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Elton John should stop giving people reasons why gay people shouldn't be allowed to have children.

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/2012-oscar-parties-slideshow/david-furnish-elton-john-zachary-photo-1330322908.html

That child looks like a stroppy brat already. :scream:

He does look kind of spoiled, doesn't he?
And (at the risk of sounding like someone's granny) why is he up that late at night? He should be at home in bed. He certainly can't be having any fun at the party....