PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Red Carpet and Ceremony

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

genevieve
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Rooney Mara must also be studying there now. Pre-ceremony Robin Roberts quipped about whether the Oscars is Rooney's "Super Bowl" (an obvious reference to the fact that her granddad co-owns the current Super Bowl champions). She very seriously is all, no, the SB is nothing, nothing like the Oscars whatsoever. Ok, thanks for clearing that up, Rooney. :rolleyes:
To give her credit, she must be VERY tired of football jokes, and I don't blame her for just not acknowledging them.

Her interviews are always awkward to me; she is all at once, entitled sounding and humorless.
But I kind of agree with this ... I think she's a very good actress, but based on the interviews I've read and especially seen, I'm not so keen on her. Although she did seem to be having a good time at the awards ceremony last night, so girlfriend does know how to chill :P

IceAlisa
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Davis was sort of in a higher supporting roll but Meryl was playing a real woman in history with an accent!

OK, I have to admit that having "Meryl" and "Davis" in the same sentence confused me for a moment. :shuffle:

PDilemma
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I disagree. Playing a real person, there is something to copy and refer to (especially if it's a well known and well documented person). Playing a fictional character, the actor has to make that character come to life and seem believable, within the boundaries of how the writers have defined that character. The second is a much greater challenge for an actor IMHO.

Yet the first inevitably gets actors lots of awards or at least nominations.

IceAlisa
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
But I kind of agree with this ... I think she's a very good actress, but based on the interviews I've read and especially seen, I'm not so keen on her. Although she did seem to be having a good time at the awards ceremony last night, so girlfriend does know how to chill :P

A :sekret: in showbiz tells me that it's the up-and-coming actors who are usually the insecure ones (this was wrt the Christian Bale rant a few years ago). The veteran A-listers like Meryl Streep behave better as a rule.

Of course, there are exceptions. I am told Ellen Page has always been nice.

taf2002
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I liked Angelina's dress from the waist up, except for her unattractive bony shoulders. I hardly ever like slit skirts.

One of my favorite dresses was Octavia's...Melissa McCarty should wear something like that instead of the horrors she always wears. I'm not saying that Octavia is as overweight as Melissa but they are both a challenge to dress. Octavia looked gorgeous; Melissa looked dumpy.

Penelope Cruz had my favorite dress of the night...it was a little retro; it reminded me of Joanne Woodward's dress when she won her Oscar. 2nd was Cameron Diaz's.

Rooney Mara's hair is hideous..those bangs!! :eek: I've never seen her act but on the red carpet she did come off as humorless.

Rex
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
But I kind of agree with this ... I think she's a very good actress, but based on the interviews I've read and especially seen, I'm not so keen on her. Although she did seem to be having a good time at the awards ceremony last night, so girlfriend does know how to chill :P I think someone had a talk with her; 'cause she was a bit better.

I liked Angelina's dress from the waist up, except for her unattractive bony shoulders. I hardly ever like slit skirts.

One of my favorite dresses was Octavia's...Melissa McCarty should wear something like that instead of the horrors she always wears. I'm not saying that Octavia is as overweight as Melissa but they are both a challenge to dress. Octavia looked gorgeous; Melissa looked dumpy.

Penelope Cruz had my favorite dress of the night...it was a little retro; it reminded me of Joanne Woodward's dress when she won her Oscar. 2nd was Cameron Diaz's.

Rooney Mara's hair is hideous..those bangs!! :eek: I've never seen her act but on the red carpet she did come off as humorless.

Was it just me, or was the trend this year about jeweled sleeves? Melissa, Maya Rudolph and a couple of others. I love Maya as a performer (adored her mom Minnie), but that dress she had on was all kinds of ugly.

Vash01
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I disagree. Playing a real person, there is something to copy and refer to (especially if it's a well known and well documented person). Playing a fictional character, the actor has to make that character come to life and seem believable, within the boundaries of how the writers have defined that character. The second is a much greater challenge for an actor IMHO.

Playing a real person can also backfire- that's the other side of it- particularly if it's a well known person that is still living, and not a historical figure, like say Mozart, that most people have not actually seen. I have read that Meryl even influences the writers to make her roles even better.

Beefcake
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I have to :wideeyes: at the collective FSU celebrating of how wonderful Octavia looks while insisting that Angelina is unhealthy looking. (Some exclaiming both in the same post!)

Some people look (or age) "skinny," yet are healthy ... Jolie may well be in this category. We need to reset as a society if nobody is questioning Spencer's health with the extra weight she is carrying. Yes, Octavia has looked nice this awards season and definitely knows how to dress and style herself. But she is also too heavy at this moment in time.

Cheylana
02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
To give her credit, she must be VERY tired of football jokes, and I don't blame her for just not acknowledging them.
Rooney's not going to win a ton of fans by not graciously sucking it up for a few football jokes, especially since I can't believe her special, fooball-related connections didn't give her a leg up in her career. Born into extreme wealth and knowing people who know people and all that. I mean, she's still a relative newcomer and the fact that she's connected to the reigning SB champions is a fun factoid for many people. Unless you are lacking in a sense of humor, that is.

Besides, she should be grateful Robin didn't instead make jokes about her awful hair and costume. :P

Cachoo
02-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Really the performance that brought tears to my eyes was Bechir's and I only saw the previews. I admire Clooney and Pitt because they do believe in doing what they can to help in certain dire situations. Oldman is a sentimental favorite of mine. I'm glad Jean won--The French have wonderful film history/tradition and I'm surprised this is their first Best Actor win. A question: Do the French care? Just curious about the reaction overseas.

my little pony
02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
I have to :wideeyes: at the collective FSU celebrating of how wonderful Octavia looks while insisting that Angelina is unhealthy looking. (Some exclaiming both in the same post!)

it's like any other pbp thread. someone will be proclaimed too thin to go on, although they generally look ok to me. and you cant say anyone looks unfit or there is :angryfire

skatingfan5
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Really the performance that brought tears to my eyes was Bechir's and I only saw the previews. I admire Clooney and Pitt because they do believe in doing what they can to help in certain dire situations. Oldman is a sentimental favorite of mine. I'm glad Jean won--The French have wonderful film history/tradition and I'm surprised this is their first Best Actor win. A question: Do the French care? Just curious about the reaction overseas.It seems that the answer is a resounding "Oui!" (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-oscars-france-celebrationstre81q0xs-20120227,0,2609692.story)
France was awash in Oscar celebrations Monday after "The Artist" won five Academy Awards including the first Best Actor win for a Frenchman, unleashing a wave of national pride.

Television stations played The Artist star Jean Dujardin's acceptance speech over and over, Le Monde's front page proclaimed "French triumph in Hollywood" over a photo of the actor raising his statuette in victory, while politicians on the campaign trail sought to capitalize on the excitement.
In an multi-page spread in Paris Match magazine last week, Dujardin's wife Alexandra Lamy -- who herself has three upcoming films -- said the behavior of people in France has changed since her husband was nominated for an Oscar. "They encourage Jean, they want him to win for them, for France. You would think we were back in 1998, during the World Cup," she said.

julieann
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Playing a real person can also backfire- that's the other side of it- particularly if it's a well known person that is still living, and not a historical figure, like say Mozart, that most people have not actually seen. I have read that Meryl even influences the writers to make her roles even better.

Thank you, that's what I was going to say. Playing someone who is real vs. made up is more difficult because the audience has a frame of reference to compare them to. If done wrong it will look like an SNL parody.

genevieve
02-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Besides, she should be grateful Robin didn't instead make jokes about her awful hair and costume. :P
I liked Rooney's hair - a LOT! I don't remember her dress.

julieann
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Rooney Mara must also be studying there now. Pre-ceremony Robin Roberts quipped about whether the Oscars is Rooney's "Super Bowl" (an obvious reference to the fact that her granddad co-owns the current Super Bowl champions). She very seriously is all, no, the SB is nothing, nothing like the Oscars whatsoever. Ok, thanks for clearing that up, Rooney. :rolleyes:

Mara must not have known Robin Roberts background is in sports so someone - especially her - making a correlation between the Oscars and the Super Bowl is not that extreme.