PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Red Carpet and Ceremony

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Lara
02-27-2012, 05:47 AM
My French coworker is over the moon tonight. He said he saw Dujardin perform as part of a very lame comedy troupe at his brother's graduation. And my coworker is not that old. :lol:

And he had fun with the FCC not giving a crap with bleeping out curse words in non-English languages. Dujardin apparently yelled, "Waahhouuu f*cking sh*t thank you so much!"

He also had fun at the Olympics hearing Brian Joubert curse, "The Olympics are a f*cking b*tch!" in the K&C with impunity. :rofl:

Yeah, someone tweeted that he made the best putain de speech tonight. :lol:

I had no idea Meryl lost 12 in a row previously, nor that it'd been 30 years. :eek: Guess I'm with the Michelle Kwan OGM group.

Lacey
02-27-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm not quite into the Jimmy Kimmel show that followed the Oscars.

IceAlisa
02-27-2012, 05:56 AM
PML, watching the after parties and wondering who this gorgeous starlet is--turns out it's the Iron Chef Cat Cora and she is 44. :eek: She cleans up well.

triple_toe
02-27-2012, 05:56 AM
So am I the only one who thought Angelina was high as a kite that whole time? I thought so from the red carpet and her stupid posing only convinced me further :lol: I don't think I've ever seen her smile that much.

Vash01
02-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Ben Mulroney on CTV News gushing about what a wonderful show it was. What kind of drugs do they give out to the entertainment reporters?

I suspect the show feels a lot different when you are there in person vs. watching it on TV. I will never get to attend it in person, so I am content watching it on TV. If I get lucky and get to attend one, I am sure it's going to feel at least twice as good.

I got tired of the pieces/interviews about how wonderful movies are in different ways. What was Billy Crystal thinking? That was overdone. Some of the presenters did well to keep it short, but one of them (woman in red whose name I can't remember) were extremely annoying. I just wanted her to shut up.

I like Billy Crystal a lot more than the Oscar hosts we saw for the last several years. I liked the order in which the awards were given, but even that did not make the show very entertaining while watching on TV. I just want it to be shorter and to the point- just announce and give the awards. I did not mind the speeches made by Natalie and Colin however, because they were directly talking to the nominees and praising them, instead of talking nonsense, which most others did.

Tom Cruise looked very good. Is this guy really 49?

I liked the white/cream dresses- some sequinned, some plain. Gwyneth Paltrow looked beautiful in her simple attire. I may be the only one that found Angelina's slit dress bordering on vulgar. She is a beautiful woman, but I always prefer a little modesty.

Octavia Spencer's joy, nervousness, tears were all so genuine. I loved Christopher Plummer's acceptance speech, especially about the Oscar statue being just 2 years older than him. :)

I was rooting for A separation to win not only the best foreign language film but also the best original screenplay, but I have no complaints about Midnight winning the screenplay. I thought Separation screenplay was even more complex and well done. I was happy with its foreign language movie Oscar.

Although I was not surprised by the Artist's win, and I had posted earlier that I found it a bit overrated and overhyped, I did not feel it was a robbery. I had it in 4th place on my list (Descendants/Hugo/Midnight in Paris/Artist in that order).

I was relieved that Dujardin won over Clooney. It's tough acting without the help of a dialogue. I was thrilled to see Hugo win 5 Oscars early in the show, and started feeling that may be it had hope for the best picture (upset) Oscar, and even had hope for Scorcese for the Best director award. When the Artist won the best director and best actor, it was clear which one would win the best picture.

Finally, I was surprised and thrilled to see Meryl Streep win her 3rd Oscar. I still don't feel this was her best performance, but she has been robbed at least twice in the past, so I had no problem with her winning this time. She comes across as a shy person who tries to mask it with smiles and humor, which does not always work. Still, I was very touched when she thanked her husband first, because she did not want to lose his name in the music at the end. She actually had tears in her eyes. I think she received the biggest ovation of the evening.

In spite of all the grumblings I always watch the Oscars. I had set aside the evening just for this, and I was very happy with many of the awards, especially those won by Hugo.:)

IceAlisa
02-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Speaking of high, Richard Dreyfus just blathered something incomprehensible into the mike. Drunk? High? Both? Isn't it a little early?

Vash01
02-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Meryl won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess not everyone thinks she's the same in all of her roles. ;)

I actually gasped when her name was announced as the winner. I was thinking she is going to lose again, this time to Viola or Michelle or Glen. I am so happy that she finally won her 3rd Oscar. It's been long overdue.

MarieM
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
It is very very amazing that Jean Dujardin is the first french man to win an oscar, knowing he has started as a comic in a very lame show. I still fondly remember his "Nous c'est Nous" song and might even endulge in making you listen to it, it's addictive.
He may not be the strongest french actor (I still think Kassovitz or Cassel are) but still, it's great for him and the movie :)
Yeaaaaaaaaaah ! :)

allezfred
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Hubby and I were :huh: when she said that. I am sure most people are thrilled for her.

Don't hate! Self-deprecate innit! :D

Wheee for "Zeee Arteeest". :cheer:

Looks like I made the right choice prioritising sleep though. :shuffle:

cholla
02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Looks like I made the right choice prioritising sleep though. :shuffle:

Now I wish I had stayed awake ! I'm so happy for "The Artist" and Dujardin. I'm amazed at how he has morphed from your average sitcom entertainer to such a great actor. Seeing him in "Brice de Nice" a few years ago, I would certainly not have guessed he would one day win an Oscar !! To be fair, I've seen Dujardin playing a lot of different thingsfrom clowns to drama (particularly "Contre-Enquête", which I loved) and I was impressed he could take on so many different characters. Georges Valentin must have been by far the most difficult one to play.

Tiebreaker question : since when does his wife have breasts ? :lol:

BaileyCatts
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Hmm, I guess I'm the only one who finds Sasha Baron-Cohen to be an irritating attention whore.

I'm late to this party, but NO YOU ARE NOT! I think he's an ass!! :slinkaway

So not funny that he ruined the entire filming spot for E channel and the ladies probably still ended up getting that crap all over their dresses, and I really don't think it was funny dumping a bunch of crap on Ryan at all. I guess I don't find Ryan as annoying as most people. :o And he would not have dared to do that to a woman, that's for damn sure!! (okay okay, insert your joke. whatever. :P). And really, how else could Ryan have reacted? If he woulda went all ballastic (like I would have!) then people would be all over him for 'not taking a joke'. I would have slugged the guy right there on live TV myself.

CynicElle
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Hubby and I were :huh: when she said that. I am sure most people are thrilled for her.

You'd think that, but a couple of people on my FB feed were throwing a fit. "She wins EVERYTHING! I'm so sick of it!" They didn't seem much deterred when I pointed out that it's been a rather lengthy break in between Oscars for her.

masofs
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't think it was her best role (and Viola Davis was my favorite performance this year) but I was happy and thrilled to see Meryl Streep winning her third Oscar. She is my favorite actress and I wasn't even conceived when she won the second... So it was a special moment. Loved her speech.

vesperholly
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Very cool montage of reaction gifs from over the years: http://fourfour.typepad.com/fourfour/2012/02/how-they-lost.html

Anita18
02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Now I wish I had stayed awake ! I'm so happy for "The Artist" and Dujardin. I'm amazed at how he has morphed from your average sitcom entertainer to such a great actor. Seeing him in "Brice de Nice" a few years ago, I would certainly not have guessed he would one day win an Oscar !! To be fair, I've seen Dujardin playing a lot of different thingsfrom clowns to drama (particularly "Contre-Enquête", which I loved) and I was impressed he could take on so many different characters. Georges Valentin must have been by far the most difficult one to play.

Tiebreaker question : since when does his wife have breasts ? :lol:
She sure didn't have any on the red carpet (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm998487552/nm0484005). :lol:

My bf must have a little French in him since he likes 'em small too. :cool: