PDA

View Full Version : Joannie Rochette interview on life after the Olympics

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
New interview: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/24/unplugged-figure-skater-joannie-rochette-on-life-after-the-olympics/

maharbabackward
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
That is great about her wanting to join the team event. I think that with her competing, Canada will have a great shot with Patrick, and V/M also in the hunt. Canada has a decent pairs team, but they were going to sunk with the piss poor ladies. Now, they are competitive again and look like they could be one of the frontrunners, with Russia and US being the other ones.

Treblenoi
02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Does anyone else get the impression that the only reason they published this interview was because some marketing person at Omron Healthcare called them up? Sorry, but this whole article reads more like an 'advertorial' for Omron, using Joannie's story to sell medical equipment.

os168
02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Does anyone else get the impression that the only reason they published this interview was because some marketing person at Omron Healthcare called them up? Sorry, but this whole article reads more like an 'advertorial' for Omron, using Joannie's story to sell medical equipment.

Yup very likely. Although it is a win win for everyone and is a worthy cause. We have a home blood-pressure monitor kit at home. It is actually not that expensive considering it saves lives.

For Canada to continue being a superpower in this sport, they really need Joannie. I am surprised she is considering Sochi, she'd be 28 then. I'd be really impressed if she can make it. The Canadian leading ladies this year are iffy at best, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are begging Joannie's return should she feel she is mentally and physically prepared.

Treblenoi
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
For Canada to continue being a superpower in this sport, they really need Joannie. I am surprised she is considering Sochi, she'd be 28 then. I'd be really impressed if she can make it. The Canadian leading ladies this year are iffy at best, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are begging Joannie's return should she feel she is mentally and physically prepared.

I agree - I was surprised to see this. Again, to be cynical, I think she needs to keep hinting at the Olympics in order to keep up her "marketing value" to her sponsors.

I miss the days when skaters just said "I've had a great career and now I'm retiring from amateur skating". Almost nobody says this outright anymore.

kwanfan1818
03-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm not surprised that she's hoping to be part of the team event. If she, V/M, and Chan are on the team, Canada and Russia likely will be fighting it out for gold.

IceDreams18
03-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks for posting the interview!

Japanfan
03-03-2012, 09:35 AM

While Canada is a strong country in terms of the figure skaters it produces, I'm not sure if it is a superpower. Canada tends to produce a lot of stars, most notably among the men, but not the same depth of field as Russia, the US or Japan (which makes sense given our smaller population).

And Canadian ladies have always been week, there was over 20 years between Liz Manely and Rochette. We usually have a really great pair about once every ten years, so are about due for that.

I can maybe see Joannie returning for the Team Event but will believe it when I see it. She's got a whole lot of work to do if she is going to compete and expecting her to get in that kind of shape again might be unrealistic.

Erica Lee
03-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Her show numbers have retained a lot of technical content, so I don't actually think it would be that big of a stretch for her to come back if she wanted to do that. I think her success would hinge on her inner drive - how badly she wanted to do it.... I have no doubt that if she wanted it, she could put her mind to it and easily do it. She's been healthy and relatively unplagued by injuries (knock on wood) - I don't think age in and of itself is a factor.

nyrak
03-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Her show numbers have retained a lot of technical content, so I don't actually think it would be that big of a stretch for her to come back if she wanted to do that. I think her success would hinge on her inner drive - how badly she wanted to do it.... I have no doubt that if she wanted it, she could put her mind to it and easily do it. She's been healthy and relatively unplagued by injuries (knock on wood) - I don't think age in and of itself is a factor.

I totally agree, that being said I'd like to see her come back in the 2012-13 season if she really wants to make a run at the Olympics. First politically, to re-establish herself as an eligible skater/get back in fighting shape for the Olympic year....and second, she'd probably place high enough at 2013 worlds to earn Canada 2 ladies spots for the Olympics.

leafygreens
03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't think age in and of itself is a factor.

Yes it is. Look at Kwan and Cohen's last Oly attempts... they were 26 and 25.

nlyoung
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes it is. Look at Kwan and Cohen's last Oly attempts... they were 26 and 25.

Both Kwan and Cohen had some serious injury issues late in their careers. Joannie has been relatively healthy thus far. If she continues to dodge the injury bullet, I don't see why she couldn't contend.

leafygreens
03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Right, but Kwan was relatively healthy as well, until her Oly attempt. Cohen was mostly healthy during her later career but she took that long break, which Joannie is doing as well, and then Cohen over-did it in too short a time frame. You can say that about any skater - "if they just stay injury free, they'll be fine." But how can you guarantee they will? Just because they've never had an injury doesn't mean they never will, especially getting older and taking time off.