PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinarily elegant male skaters (singles or otherwise)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

TwizzlerS
02-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Here's a relatively unknown but elegant skater:

Rudi Cerne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzJBx80nYI)

geod2
02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Though he lacks the jumps and program difficulty to compete at the level of most others listed in this thread,
Jonathan Cassar is quite elegant IMHO.

kwanette
02-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Ice Dance: Peter T.

Pairs: Mr. Tong

Subway
02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Grinkov, Curry. There's so many but those two were extraordinary.

martyross
02-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Adam Rippon and Yuzuru Hanyu
nice to see two kids listed here :P , especially Hanyu. Right from the start of his fabolous R+J program, he hits many choreographic positions that stick in one's memory all the way through, but without losing speed and oomph. that's the secret of a great program versus a good program, perhaps. frankly, he makes look the first triple axel as aesthetically appealing as some kind of work of art :D
(i can't say the same on Chan's style.)

shan
02-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Though he lacks the jumps and program difficulty to compete at the level of most others listed in this thread,

I was going to mention him!

nubka
02-25-2012, 11:55 PM
I've never really thought of Todd Eldridge as being elegent... :shuffle:

pinky166
02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
nice to see two kids listed here :P , especially Hanyu. Right from the start of his fabolous R+J program, he hits many choreographic positions that stick in one's memory all the way through, but without losing speed and oomph. that's the secret of a great program versus a good program, perhaps. frankly, he makes look the first triple axel as aesthetically appealing as some kind of work of art :D
(i can't say the same on Chan's style.)

Hanyu may be a kid, but he's a very elegant kid!

Speaking of "kids", Jason Brown and Joshua Farris are two other very elegant kids!

ioana
02-26-2012, 12:01 AM

Cassar has very nice lines and extension.

David Liu who went on to compete internationally for Taiwan didn't have a lot of technical difficulty in his jumps for the time either, but I love his SLSS in this program --years before doing it on one foot became a feature :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3ceRk1P0Y

And I completely agree with Allen Schramm's mention earlier on, too. Very creative and trying different things -all while maintaining good positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbUCqEbzFEs

Proustable
02-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Oh, I'd definitely include Chan. His precise movements, the beautiful flow of the elements, the gorgeous positions, the astonishing footwork. Very elegant.

I'm not sure I'd include Sawyer, though I really like what he does.

aftershocks
02-26-2012, 01:09 AM
I say the most elegant currently competing are Abbott, Takahashi, and Chan in that order. Takahashi occasionally falls victim to awkward choreography and to me, Chan tends towards skating elements rather than programs. The individual elements look gorgeous, they just don't flow together amazingly like Abbott's and Takahashi's can.

^^ ITA!

sk9tingfan
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Anyone else find Chan's heel clicks annoying and an affectation? Or is it just me?

rosebrallier
02-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Anyone else find Chan's heel clicks annoying and an affectation? Or is it just me?

I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Elaborate?

I do think Chan needs to find a new choreographer. I've noticed in the vast majority of programs how Nichol's choreography tends to ignore the nuances of the music and even has Chan skate straight through a major musical theme.

muffinbiscuit
02-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Ryan Jahnke

Skatenatic
02-26-2012, 03:39 AM
I think Toller Cranston should be on the list.