PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinarily elegant male skaters (singles or otherwise)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ageless
02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm surprised Robin Cousins hasn't been mentioned. I always loved his long lines.

flyingsit
02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Gorsha Sur
Denis Petrov

lauravvv
02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Stephane should be in there, at least late-career Stephane. I'd say his Ne Me Quitte Pas was definitely extraordinarily elegant, and his La Traviata was quite elegant as well.I agree about Lambiel - although he was not very elegant in his early career, now I actually assocciate such words as "elegance" and "gracefulness" with him more than with any other of the current male singles skaters (I mean both "amateur" and professional). And it's not just for 'Ne me quitte pas' and 'La Traviata'. It's also 'Poeta' (or 'Flamenco'), 'Carne Cruda', 'Otono Porteno' (or 'Tango') as it was skated in shows, the later show version of 'The Four Seasons', such jazzy programs as 'Tainted Love', 'Let the Good Times Roll', and, now, 'Don't Stop The Music', 'Bring Me to Life', 'Prelude in G. Minor', 'Rigoletto', his new program for 'Art on Ice' - 'My Body Is A Cage', and a few others. Actually, whatever Lambiel does now - everything is elegant and, often, graceful.

pinky166
02-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Adam Rippon and Yuzuru Hanyu

AxelAnnie
02-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Boy.. I would take Todd off that list... Elegant would never be a word I would use to describe his skating...

Brian Boitano however....... Elegance for sure

Vash01
02-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Stephane should be in there, at least late-career Stephane. I'd say his Ne Me Quitte Pas was definitely extraordinarily elegant, and his La Traviata was quite elegant as well.
I always thought Sretenski of Annenko/Sretenski was very elegant.
Emmanuel Sandhu could be very graceful.

All are great choices. When I watched Stephane's exhibition from last year on YT, I was amazed by his elegance throughout the routine.

Sretenski was very elegant, especially as a pro. I somehow forgot to list him.

Sandhu is one of the most elegant male skaters.

centerpt1
02-25-2012, 04:36 PM
I'd remove Todd- never an elegant or artistic skater-he always went for the bombastic movie track-and looked more like a wooden toy soldier.

Toller, on the ther hand was elegant.

Adam is artistic, but doesn't have the effortless power to be elegant yet. Same with Hanyu.

Vash01
02-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Ulrich Salchow -the first Olympic Men's Figure Skating Champion
Ulrich Salchow - 1908 Olympic Men's Champion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vqyLXiYLk)

Gillis Grafstroem
Gillis Graefstrom-1920-1924-1928 Olympic Champion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edoDYoMoQqA&feature=related)

I think Alexei Urmanov was quite elegant as well in his movements.

Thanks for the links. I agree that Urmanov was very elegant. I remembered him and Lambiel after I went to bed, and did not want to get up to update my list:lol:

ETA: Should Shawn Sawyer be on this list? He has amazing positions on spins, spirals, but I am not quite convinced that the rest of his skating is elegant. I am open to a different opinion though.

Vash01
02-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised Robin Cousins hasn't been mentioned. I always loved his long lines.

Robin Cousins has been mentioned in the original post.

sk9tingfan
02-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I always found Todd to be an understated, subtly elegant skater.

I'm giving Angel Boy Rippon a vote, I love his arms, his head postions..His Cinema Paradisio is one of my all-time favorite exhibitions..and this yrs Rach exhibition is also quite lovely.

Cinema Paradiso at Skate Canada 2010 and Rach at 4CC's especially. Also, his photos bear out that elegance. :) With respect to not having the power, when he's not under competition pressure, his skating is far more effortless

I'd also give a nod to Matt Savoie

Vash01
02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I just found this practice clip of Martiusheva-Rogonov. IMO Rogonov belongs on the list of elegant men. They are such a lovely pair to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBy_72jlzy0&feature=related

Proustable
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Anton Sikharulidze came to mind first.

quartz
02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Emanuel Sandhu was the very first one that came to my mind and I was surprised not to see him on the initial list. Sebastien Britten was another very elegant skater - totally aware of the picture he painted on the ice.

martyross
02-25-2012, 09:10 PM
(Pairs and ice dance):

Anton Sikharulidze
Sergei Grinkov
John Zimmerman
Oleg Protopopov
Randy Gardner
Artur Dmitriev

Alexander Zhulin
Gwendal Peizerat
Oleg Ovssianikov
Sergei Ponomarenko
Christopher Dean
cool. such a great coincidence to have this thread since it was exactly what i had in mind to ask :P watching Sikharulidze at the 2002 Olys made me wish to watch other elegant and expressive dance/pair male partners.
but must say, that Anton guy is really a sublime creature :D

rosebrallier
02-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I say the most elegant currently competing are Abbott, Takahashi, and Chan in that order. Takahashi occasionally falls victim to awkward choreography and to me, Chan tends towards skating elements rather than programs. The individual elements look gorgeous, they just don't flow together amazingly like Abbott's and Takahashi's can.