PDA

View Full Version : Oscar predictions- who should/will win?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

vesperholly
02-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I've heard that Glenn wasn't actually that great in her film

I thought she was FANTASTIC in Albert Nobbs and I'd love to see her win. Janet McTeer was phenomenal too, I'm hoping for her to upset Octavia Spencer. She was good, but I did not think The Help was all that great. Viola Davis was the standout to me, a much more subtle and challenging role.

All this caterwauling over Meryl Streep not having won an Oscar in 30 years and she "deserves" another OMG world's greatest actress ... :blah: I'm not a fan of showering her mere existence with awards. I haven't seen The Iron Lady, though,

BigB08822
02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
All this caterwauling over Meryl Streep not having won an Oscar in 30 years and she "deserves" another OMG world's greatest actress ... :blah: I'm not a fan of showering her mere existence with awards. I haven't seen The Iron Lady, though,

I can COMPLETELY see your point of view especially if Meryl's acting isn't high on your list BUT think about it from another perspective. I am tired of seeing Meryl passed over to give awards to 2nd rate performances because everyone thinks Meryl will have plenty more shots to win Oscars. Other side of the coin...

Lorac
02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I can COMPLETELY see your point of view especially if Meryl's acting isn't high on your list BUT think about it from another perspective. I am tired of seeing Meryl passed over to give awards to 2nd rate performances because everyone thinks Meryl will have plenty more shots to win Oscars. Other side of the coin...

Agreed. This is a huge issue I have with the Oscars - giving a mediocre actress/actor an oscar because they have managed to have a halfway decent performance which no-one expected them to do and which they never replicated (remember Helen Hunt in As Good as it Gets) whilst depriving a much better performance because everyone says - 'oh they'll get nominated again'!!

Vash01
02-25-2012, 07:52 PM

How can you make that statement if you have not even seen the movie?

Vash01
02-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Agreed. This is a huge issue I have with the Oscars - giving a mediocre actress/actor an oscar because they have managed to have a halfway decent performance which no-one expected them to do and which they never replicated (remember Helen Hunt in As Good as it Gets) whilst depriving a much better performance because everyone says - 'oh they'll get nominated again'!!

Count me in too. I didn't even think Helen Hunt deserved the Oscar for As good as it gets (I think Judi Dench -Mrs.Brown-was passed over that year, and then given a supporting actress Oscar the following year for what was basically a cameo role). The real travesty was Sandra Bullock winning because she may never have another chance to win an Oscar. Actually Sandra did pretty well in Crash and this year's nominated film, in supporting roles. Also Julia Roberts being given an Oscar because she really needs it on her resume, or Paltrow given he award for a fluff role in SIP over two actresses (Brazilian actress plus Cate Blanchett)....the list goes on and on. Streep has been robbed of a deserving Oscar quite a few times to give others a chance, as per the academy. If she has the best performance of the year, let her win! No other actress of our era has given consistently great performances over 30+ years, the way Streep has given. There are many two-time Oscar winners, and I hate seeing her in that group. This year at least the best actress category is very competitive, so it won't be a robbery if she does not win, but is she ever going to win? There will always be other great performances.

BigB08822
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Well we know Meryl will eventually get a Lifetime Achievement but will people count that as a 3rd Oscar if she never wins again or do people see it as winning 2 and having one handed to you?

Vash01
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Well we know Meryl will eventually get a Lifetime Achievement but will people count that as a 3rd Oscar if she never wins again or do people see it as winning 2 and having one handed to you?

The latter, IMO.

soxxy
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
According to this story, Streep wants her pal Davis to win.

When asked if she would prefer Davis to win, Streep told The Sun: "Yes, oh yes. I love her and think she's amazing.

"She deserves [it] and should be at the forefront of our business. She's a friend and we've worked together and I'm really fond of her. So we want the best for our friends. Honestly."

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0225/streepm.html

Streep starts filming the Tony award winning 'August: Osage County' this fall, playing the pill-popping mother of Julia Roberts, so I have a feeling she'll be nominated again, soon.

http://collider.com/meryl-streep-julia-roberts-august-osage-county/146006/

http://www.simplystreep.com/weinstein-company-announces-august-osage-county/

sliver98
02-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Vash Streep did not give the best performance of the year she was just mimicking tatcher did not get under the skin of her like Michelle Williams that was an embodiment and Streep will not win Davis has the oscar in the bag.

BigB08822
02-25-2012, 09:53 PM
I have had a feeling since hearing about August: Osage County that Meryl will FINALLY win another Oscar for that role. Wouldn't it be something if she wins 2 in a row after all these years of missing out? lol

rosebrallier
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I say The Artist deserves to win Best Picture. It's a beautiful film between plot, characterization, soundtrack, and cinematography. Meryl Streep is a great actress. I'm just going to leave it at that.

IceAlisa
02-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Well I, for one, throught Rooney Mara was brilliant in TGWTDT. She fully deserved her nomination and I wouldn't mind if she took home the statue tomorrow night. My second choice would be Viola Davis, followed by Streep, then Glenn, and then Michelle.
I have a feeling Mara "hasn't paid her dues" yet and so will just have the nomination.

However, that and Midnight in Paris are the only nominated films I've seen, so what do I know...:shuffle:

my little pony
02-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I thought she was FANTASTIC in Albert Nobbs and I'd love to see her win.

i didnt love the film but i loved glenn in it. there was nothing gimmicky or showy about her performance at all. she would get my vote if i had one.

jenny12
02-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Overall, I don't think this year was as strong a year as last year for films, and for the acting categories I don't care one way or the other, but for Best Picture:

My favorite film this year was Melancholia which wasn't nominated, so I'd go with:
Should: Hugo
Will: The Artist

I felt like Hugo and The Artist were similar in their nostalgic look at cinema, but I thought Hugo was more moving and creative. The Artist, IMO, was an entertaining film, but the story was pretty simple and offers just a patchwork representation of the silent film era.

vesperholly
02-26-2012, 01:27 AM
How can you make that statement if you have not even seen the movie?

Because this kind of stuff comes around every time Streep is nominated, no matter what the role. "OMG, Meryl is nominated again, but she's sure to be robbed by another actress, whose performance cannot possibly hope to match that of the World's Greatest Actress!"