PDA

View Full Version : What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Cachoo
02-25-2012, 05:04 AM
I am a big fan of the PBS/Mystery series "Sherlock." I love the relationship between this particular Sherlock and this particular Watson. I also love the use of the glockenspiel (sp?)--if it is a glockenspiel in the soundtrack for the series. PBS released this scene for the upcoming season: May cannot come soon enough (at least in the US.)

http://video.pbs.org/video/2188153420

jenny12
02-25-2012, 06:01 AM
I really enjoy the new Sherlock as well. Benedict Cumberbatch makes a very cool and stylish Sherlock, and I agree that he and Watson have an interesting dynamic.

triple_toe
02-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Everything :P

danceronice
02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
I think it's that it's one of the few "modernizing" things where they really seem to not only respect the source material but have managed to come up with a scenario that keeps the characters from the original as more or less themselves, but still functional in the modern setting. Rather than just "we moved this to modern day so we could get the actors more plausibly naked more often."

cailuj365
02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Oh man, I just watched both series of Sherlock last month, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both brilliant as Sherlock and Watson. I find all the modern updates on the material to be really clever and believable as well. I also really like the music!

If you thought season 1 was good, season 2 is even better in my opinion!

...Rather than just "we moved this to modern day so we could get the actors more plausibly naked more often."

Unfortunately, I think this is exactly what could happen with CBS's new "Elementary," a remake of BBC's "Sherlock" that will take place in modern day New York City. CBS just ordered the pilot, and Jonny Lee Miller has been cast as Sherlock. I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.

BigB08822
02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I love it. The score reminds me so much of Dexter's score and it is fitting for this dark kind of show.

I heard the US is coming up with a version of a modern Sherlock as well.

Cachoo
02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Oh man, I just watched both series of Sherlock last month, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both brilliant as Sherlock and Watson. I find all the modern updates on the material to be really clever and believable as well. I also really like the music!

If you thought season 1 was good, season 2 is even better in my opinion!

Unfortunately, I think this is exactly what could happen with CBS's new "Elementary," a remake of BBC's "Sherlock" that will take place in modern day New York City. CBS just ordered the pilot, and Jonny Lee Miller has been cast as Sherlock. I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.

Superfluous indeed. I cannot imagine the copy matching the original.

rjblue
02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.It is extremely unlikely that they'll be able replicate the amazing chemistry of Holmes and Watson (ick, the shipping on the internet is mountainous), and they certainly won't have the 90 minute episode, movie quality scripting and editing.

I guess the reason must be that they are going to take a snapshot of the characters and use them in an hour long procedural series- like House-"Detective".

I can see why The Office was remade with an american storyline, because the cultural differences make it hard(for some) to catch the humour. But both Sherlock and Misfits are too perfect to be immitated well. It's like remaking Casablanca.

znachki
02-25-2012, 09:08 PM
I love this version so much. I've already seen the second series even though I'm in the US. I bought the region 2 DVD's becasue I knew I'd want them and just couldn't wait. I think it's better than the first series.

I think that the biggest reason is that Moffatt and Gattis understand and respect the source material, but at the same time, are not slaves to it. They loved the Rathbone/Bruce movies for the action aspects, and aren't afraid to embrace that as well.

They stripped out a lot of what has weighed many of the adaptations down. People forget that Holmes and Watson weren't all that old when they started, so they cast younger than you generally see.

They updated wisely. They put a lot of thought into the modern equivalent of Victorian/Edwardian era technology and society. Agony Columns=Reality TV!

They treat Watson with the respect he deserves. Martin Freeman's Watson, is IMO, the best Watson ever. Watson was not a bumbling fool as he is often portrayed. He was a doctor, and a soldier. Anyone would look less smart next to Holmes, but he wasn't stupid.

On the technical side, I think the BBC's decision to go with 3-90's was smart. The quality of the production is so high. The only bad thing is that there aren't more!

I'm also interested to see what the CBS "Elementary" series will be like. The producers initally approached Virtue/Moffatt/Gattiss, and asked them to license Sherlock to them, but were turned down. So, they decided to go ahead with their own version. They are going to have to go very carefully, because if they don't, there could be some legal entanglements, I would think.

AJ Skatefan
02-25-2012, 09:20 PM
I think Sherlock is brilliant! We couldn't wait for season 2 (in the US) so we found it online on various tv websites. Season 2 is even better than season 1. I don't think I've ever seen a tv show that is so brilliantly photographed, edited and acted.

skatesindreams
02-25-2012, 09:57 PM
znachki,

Entire post:
:respec:

I've not seen Season 2 yet; and can hardly wait!
I don't know if I will watch "Elementary" yet.
Any similar show would suffer in comparison.

Edited to add:

If Benedict Cumberbatch, were a less gifted actor, the update would not work at all.
He does a wonderful job of bringing Sherlock to newly vivid life within the context of our growing knowledge and understanding of "Super Genius"/Asperger's Syndrome, etc.; and the challenges caused/imposed by that on himself - and others.

That is what makes this "Sherlock" important, and compelling.

GarrAarghHrumph
02-25-2012, 11:09 PM
For those interested in his work beyond Sherlock, Benedict will be playing the villain in the next Star Trek movie.

cygnus
02-25-2012, 11:28 PM
For those interested in his work beyond Sherlock, Benedict will be playing the villain in the next Star Trek movie.

And of course, Freeman will be Bilbo in the new Hobbit movie (Cumberbatch will be the voice of Smaug).

skatesindreams
02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I'll await all of the above, with pleasure!

ioana
02-26-2012, 12:41 AM
I've also seen S2 because I couldn't wait for it to come out on PBS and I used one of the UK ip address programs. I think one of the reasons why I love the series is there's hardly any irrelevant detail in any episode. It's been a while since I found a series where I felt I have to actively pay attention to everything that takes place.

Also agree with everyone who mentioned casting Martin Freeman as Watson was a brilliant move. He manages to come across with the right mixture of awe for Sherlock's genius and frustration when he refuses to explain things.

Am definitely re-watching once it shows up on PBS :D!