PDA

View Full Version : Should the Short Dance be Eliminated?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Conga
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I vote to keep the SD, but the patterns are done at the same time, and to only 1 rhythm. No more mash-ups. A polka is a polka. A waltz is a waltz.

Please, please, please (see emphasis added) :soapbox:

Susan M
02-28-2012, 05:42 PM
The problem with the SD is it gives the worst of both worlds... ruins the OD by crowding in another element and taking away even more freedom.

They didn't really "crowd in another element". What they basically did was take out the "steps in hold" and insert the CD pattern (which is really just prescribed steps in hold) in its place, plus add 20 seconds to the dance. All the other elements and the connecting steps have as much freedom as they did in the ODs. Frankly I'd rather watch most CD patterns than those awful steps in hold with skaters sticking their legs out one direction then another. I had really grown to hate those steps in hold (and still do usually hate them in the FD). I understand the point of this element from a sporting perspective, I just find it really unattractive on pretty much everybody - good, bad and mediocre.

To me, the rhumba-Latin theme SD works much better than the GW dances for two reasons: 1) the rhythms blend better into a coherent whole than those waltz-tango messes from last year; 2) the rhumba pattern takes a lot less time, making for a better choreographic whole. If they remember those two lessons when choosing CDs and tempos/themes in future, I'd regard the SD as a success. I mean, this is only its second year and they have already improved a lot.

As someone mentioned above, the ODs had really pretty much degenerated into short free dances anyway. At least the CD pattern makes the SD a more distinct athletic test.

But as it stands, I'd rather have a program with a a compulsory in it than not, considered taking it out pretty much means seeing the same closed hold sequence we would see again in the FD anyway. :blah:

Exactly.

No more mash-ups. A polka is a polka. A waltz is a waltz.
I think multiple rhythm choices can work as long as the rhythm combinations relate to each other and work together musically. I think this year's Latin rhythms work pretty well together. After all, some of those OD themes folks were recalling so fondly had options of 3 or 4 rhythms, with most teams choosing at least two.

Bunny Hop
02-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Hey why don't they put the Dutch Waltz into the SD? :D (I am in a naughty mood!):lol: We'd see lots of lovely edges. I'd watch.

mia joy
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I loved the old CD + OD version, mostly because I think something like CD is really necessary and it gives you a unique chance to actually compare teams and OD was the perfect compromise between ballroom and figure skating.

However, as much as I hated them last year, I'm quite enjoying the SDs this season.

Conga
03-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I think multiple rhythm choices can work as long as the rhythm combinations relate to each other and work together musically. I think this year's Latin rhythms work pretty well together. After all, some of those OD themes folks were recalling so fondly had options of 3 or 4 rhythms, with most teams choosing at least two.

Exactly! The rhythm combinations need to relate to each other and work together musically. I also agree that a lot of Latin works well together but part of that is because I (boldly) think that there are plenty of people that wouldn't be able to identify one rhythm from another :slinkaway) Plus, the costuming doesn't look ridiculous for the totality. When you put a tango with a waltz and a polka with a waltz...:eek:

The mashups of music isn't a recent phemomenon. Music was cut terribly in the past as well.

briancoogaert
03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I love compulsories.
I really don't like SD. I'm so frustrated with SD : not the perfection of Compulsories and not the creativity of an Original Dance.
Really not a good thing, IMO.

MacMadame
03-06-2012, 01:08 AM
I think it's interesting that people loved the ODs. I found them frustrating because they seemed more like a short FD. I would rather have the OSP than the OD.

Conga
03-06-2012, 02:11 AM
I think it's interesting that people loved the ODs. I found them frustrating because they seemed more like a short FD. I would rather have the OSP than the OD.

I prefer the OSP as well, but think there is no chance it will ever make a return appearance.

MacMadame
03-06-2012, 02:47 AM
I prefer the OSP as well, but think there is no chance it will ever make a return appearance.

I wonder why. It's seem sort of what the Short Dance is trying to be. I suspect the skaters didn't like doing them so they (and their coaches) aren't pushing for it.

aka_gerbil
03-06-2012, 03:08 AM
I wonder why. It's seem sort of what the Short Dance is trying to be. I suspect the skaters didn't like doing them so they (and their coaches) aren't pushing for it.

I'm guessing it would more be the coaches than the current skaters. I think the current crop of ice dancers would have been babies, toddlers, or not born yet the last time OSP's were part of a competetion. #feelingold

clarie
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Perhaps if they were to lenghthen the SD a tad, it might give skaters time to do the compulsories and foster a little more creativity with the rest of it. It also may make the transitions and seguates smoother and fit better to create a more seamless program...just a thought.