PDA

View Full Version : Should the Short Dance be Eliminated?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

That Don Guy
02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
I wasn't that invested in figure skating when figures were eliminated as part of the competitions so am not certain what the discussions were at the time. Several times a season someone bemoans the lack of figures in competition has resulted in the lack of edges or sloppy jumping technique - one can only assume that the same discussions about CDs will be a constant thorn in someone's side.
IIRC, there were three main reasons given for getting rid of compulsory figures:
1. In pretty much every language except English, "figure" isn't part of the sport's name (i.e. figures aren't "really" part of the sport).
2. Practice time is scarce enough without having to work on figures.
3. The fans have no idea what is going on - pretty much every skater's figures are identical when you're in the seats.

kwanette
02-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I thought that last year the waltz SD worked really well. This year it seemed that the rhumba was harder for the skaters but I've enjoyed watching all the skaters improve over the season. It seemed like all the dances were awful at the beginning of the season, now I really enjoy many of them.

I loved Weaver/Poje's SD when I saw it in Canada and I have loved it more each time that I have seen it.

AJ Skatefan
02-25-2012, 11:33 PM
I loved Weaver/Poje's SD when I saw it in Canada and I have loved it more each time that I have seen it.

So true, kwanette. Weaver and Poje rocked that SD! The best SD of the season, IMO.

kwanfan1818
02-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Aren't the CD and OSP different things entirely?

Not entirely. The commonalities were that there was a single theme and that the exact pattern had to be repeated.

I would like either of them to take the place of the SD. It isn't going to happen.

Vash01
02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I equate the CD with figures. I doubt that there will be a return to CD even if the skaters are able to choose their own music or other suggestions given. It is boring to the casual fan, doesn't do well in TV or streaming viewing, etc. I like the Short Dance format but this season's latin dance rhythms did not work.

I wasn't that invested in figure skating when figures were eliminated as part of the competitions so am not certain what the discussions were at the time. Several times a season someone bemoans the lack of figures in competition has resulted in the lack of edges or sloppy jumping technique - one can only assume that the same discussions about CDs will be a constant thorn in someone's side.

I loved the CD- sometimes more than the OD. I was disappointed when it was eliminated from competitions. For the casual fan, I can see that it must seem boring that everyone is skating to the same music. For their sake I don't mind if the skaters use different music, but no vocals in the CD, to stay focused on the technique. Of course the OD is more interesting to a casual fan (and even to some real fans) because the music is different, even though it's the same dance, but the patterns are different. I used to like the CD better when they had two CDs in a competition (e.g. Paso Doble and Blues, or say waltz and something else). I don't dislike the short dance, but there are ways to make the shorter portion of the competition more interesting.

Aussie Willy
02-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I'd be in favor of bringing back the CD with the skaters picking their own music. Honestly, the majority of the music is SO BAD. I never want to hear another official ISU Dutch Waltz again.
Hey why don't they put the Dutch Waltz into the SD? :D (I am in a naughty mood!)

5Ali3
02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I never understood the purpose of the OD, but I loved the CD. I'm in favor of CD and FD.

The OD evolved from the OSP: Original Set Pattern, which was essentially an invented compulsory dance. The rhythms varied from year to year; I recall that the tempos were specified as well. Personally, I really enjoyed watching OSPs; they were often creative, displayed the personality of the team, and yet were sufficiently similar to allow some comparison between teams, even to the unwashed masses... that is, non-ice-dancers. :)

And I am NOT looking forward to Lawrence Welk, I mean Polka next season.

Are you kidding? It's going to be sheer awesomeness. And when I say "sheer awesomeness," I mean, "an unparallelled opportunity to :watch: and :40beers: and :rofl: at the :drama:." :lol:

maharbabackward
02-26-2012, 03:15 PM
The other thing that irks me is that the patterns have levels. For the rhumba pattern, its so brief and relies on whether a choctaw is performed correctly. If they insist on keeping the sequences, I think they should make it like the spiral for women and the 2nd footwork for men. That it should be just a level and GOE should be for things like correct steps, speed, deep edges, etc..

kwanette
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
So true, kwanette. Weaver and Poje rocked that SD! The best SD of the season, IMO.

I forget that I am watching a competitive program. Definitely my fav SD of the yr.

nuge
02-27-2012, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=5Ali3;3494406]The OD evolved from the OSP: Original Set Pattern, which was essentially an invented compulsory dance. The rhythms varied from year to year; I recall that the tempos were specified as well. Personally, I really enjoyed watching OSPs; they were often creative, displayed the personality of the team, and yet were sufficiently similar to allow some comparison between teams, even to the unwashed masses... that is, non-ice-dancers. :)

I would love the OSP back.There were some fabulous ones .Especially in I think 88-89 K/P Charleston was great .Great costumes and Betty Callaway said it was very difficult.

winterchik
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Really the ISU went out of its way to make everything very simple.. what they didn't plan on. Was that the top teams in the world are unable to do a simple CD RHUMBA...the first key point was a GIFT the 2nd is difficult but should have been able to see at least the top 4 or 5 team achieve this "consistent".. The 3rd key point is also easy

I do believe that the pattern of a dance should be divided into two or 3 sessions and each session be given a level ..

Rob
02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
I definitely do not like the SD, and I definitely want the CD/OD back. I don't like the compulsory pattern in the middle of the SD.

DORISPULASKI
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Actually, the key points have been twisted out of all recognition. G&P would not have gotten credit for a couple of the GW key points, and they did a wonderful Golden Waltz.

The same is true for the lady's step in choctaw section of the rhumba.

However, any team that misses the first key point (and there have been a bunch of them) deserves the proverbial 10 lashes with the wet noodle, and many hours of practice at CD's.

Aussie Willy
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
However, any team that misses the first key point (and there have been a bunch of them) deserves the proverbial 10 lashes with the wet noodle, and many hours of practice at CD's.
Ooo noodle bondage. I'd like to see that.

NorthernDancers
02-28-2012, 03:37 AM
I vote to keep the SD, but the patterns are done at the same time, and to only 1 rhythm. No more mash-ups. A polka is a polka. A waltz is a waltz.

What I like about the SD version of the CD is that there are callers for the elements, the expectations are clear all the time, we can compare apples with apples, and there is variety of music. I'd like to see a higher emphasis on unison, quality edges, lines, etc. in the SD, and a clear understanding of the interpretation and purpose of the dance.