PDA

View Full Version : Should the Short Dance be Eliminated?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

winterchik
02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Bring back CD the only place you can measure apples with apples.. Really the bums on seats are about the same...Mr Moir didn't like the Rumba Choctaw,well bad luck,you should have learn it a long time ago ,
Look at T/D and a few other true master they had to prepare 4 CD ( of which two would be drawn at competition) one OSP and a FD
Really I S U should be much harder on this technical panels that show so much leanness towards 2 or 3 teams

winterchik
02-25-2012, 08:48 AM
T The Rhumba was kind of like blink and you miss it. At least a more difficult pattern dance is more of a challenge and has more substance. Regarding technique only a few team were able to master it...what is that saying about our present DANCERS

taz'smum
02-25-2012, 09:19 AM
The SD format will die and be replaced by the OD in my opinion.
So, how about making the preliminary round into a compulsory dance competition, that all skaters have to participate in?

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
A brilliant repackaging, taz'smum :lol:

I do think that they should add allowing the skaters to pick their own music for the "qualifying round" CD. They did that for one of the novice CD's at US Nationals, and it worked very well.

casken
02-25-2012, 09:38 AM
The only way they would bring back the CDs (which I'm 99.9% sure they won't), is if the couples could choose their own music. I honestly think sitting through the same hokey pieces of music (as much as I love a few of them :D), was worse for the average viewer than the compulsories themselves.

From what it sounds like, what is actually going to happen is rather than have the full compulsory sequence done at once, the couples will have to complete all of the key points throughout the dance at some point. Like, if it's the Golden Waltz, somewhere in the SD the couple will have to complete the "cascade" step, the pivot/spread eagle by the man, the shoot the duck for the lady, etc.

taz'smum
02-25-2012, 09:42 AM
A brilliant repackaging, taz'smum :lol:

I do think that they should add allowing the skaters to pick their own music for the "qualifying round" CD. They did that for one of the novice CD's at US Nationals, and it worked very well.

So that's decided then DorisPulaski, the SD will become and OD, the preliminaries will be the CD with skaters chosing their own music.
Now, we just have to let the ISU know of the changes they need to implement. ;)

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I will rely on you for that, taz'smum ;)

And given that a CD is considerably shorter than an FD, the time used should be comparable?

At World's last year 17 couples competed in ice dance preliminaries, with 10 qualifying for the rest of the competition, and 7 not qualifying. 25 teams competed in the SD, for a total of 32 couples that would have competed in the new version CD qualifying round.

The old QR was a free dance, average time about 4 minutes for the skating per team. The Golden Waltz CD takes 1:58. The Yankee Polka takes 1:04

Typically, CD's take between 1 and 2 minutes each, depending on the CD chosen. 32 couples then would be between 32 and 64 minutes of skating, plus time to grade each, plus extra warm up times, plus at least one extra ice resurfacing.

Still, you'd think an argument could definitely be made. Since it is a QR, it would not be part of the Olympics, but that's life. QR's are not part of the GPF either.

SLIVER
02-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Quelle surprise that they will eventually get rid of any trace of compulsories all together! Shocker that....
Meanwhile while we are supposedly looking to make the events shorter and more economical we are adding a whole naff team competition! Cringe....

berthesghost
02-25-2012, 03:29 PM
It used to be that ice dance and figure skating were separate sports and Dance was excluded from the olys because of it. But since 76 dance gets more and more like fs everyday until now that it finally is just an sp and lp full of lifts spins and footwork sequences. The only way i see the cd coming back is if dance is dumped from the olys. the isu needs the olys, but the IOC just doesn't seem to get fs in many ways.

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Actually, pairs is getting less like dance than it used to be, I think. The best of pairs have been balletic in the past. There aren't that many pairs that look like any kind of dance at all today.

While the current crop of top ice dancers may not be to your taste, they all move well to music. Most of the pairs don't. And that's the difference between dancing and not dancing.

Ice dance may be less ballet like than it has been from time to time, but it is definitely still dancing, IMO.

Personally, I really don't like, say, a balletic polka. There are more types of dance than ballet, and I like that ice dance has a wider spread of types.

LilJen
02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I just saw this part in the article:

An announcement had just been made that the Finnstep Pattern Dance will be part of the requirements for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi where Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir hope to defend the Olympic laurels they earned in Vancouver.
No wonder V&M are nervous. That dance could be the great equalizer.

V/M are certainly no slouches technically (understatement of the year). I don't see how that'd be a problem, except that D/W are really fab at something like the Finnstep.

I'd be in favor of bringing back the CD with the skaters picking their own music. Honestly, the majority of the music is SO BAD. I never want to hear another official ISU Dutch Waltz again.

AJ Skatefan
02-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I thought that last year the waltz SD worked really well. This year it seemed that the rhumba was harder for the skaters but I've enjoyed watching all the skaters improve over the season. It seemed like all the dances were awful at the beginning of the season, now I really enjoy many of them.

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 09:22 PM
I've got to say that the Cha Cha Congelado worked better for the Juniors than the Rhumba for the Seniors, IMO. I liked a lot more of the Junior SD's.

winterchik
02-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I've got to say that the Cha Cha Congelado worked better for the Juniors than the Rhumba for the Seniors, IMO. I liked a lot more of the Junior SD's.
one of the problem was allowing the choice, of doing the pattern at different times..unlike the juniors, who had to do it ,one after the other without interruption..to the same cut of music

numbers123
02-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I equate the CD with figures. I doubt that there will be a return to CD even if the skaters are able to choose their own music or other suggestions given. It is boring to the casual fan, doesn't do well in TV or streaming viewing, etc. I like the Short Dance format but this season's latin dance rhythms did not work.

I wasn't that invested in figure skating when figures were eliminated as part of the competitions so am not certain what the discussions were at the time. Several times a season someone bemoans the lack of figures in competition has resulted in the lack of edges or sloppy jumping technique - one can only assume that the same discussions about CDs will be a constant thorn in someone's side.