PDA

View Full Version : Should the Short Dance be Eliminated?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

casken
02-25-2012, 12:54 AM
The problem with the SD is it gives the worst of both worlds... ruins the OD by crowding in another element and taking away even more freedom.

I really dislike the SD. It is stifling creativity. Under this format we will not have another stand out program like D/W's Indian OD again.
I don't get this. SDs and ODs are exactly the same program. Take out the CD sequence and stick a closed hold footwork sequence in it's place and you got a OD. I don't think the format stifles creativity and more than the OD did.

Now, if we're talking about going back to the true "Original Dance", the ones from the 90's that were two and a half minutes of intricate and original choreography that required spot-on partnering and interpretation, then I'm all for it. D&W would never win an OD phase again. :lol:

But as it stands, I'd rather have a program with a a compulsory in it than not, considered taking it out pretty much means seeing the same closed hold sequence we would see again in the FD anyway. :blah:

Tak
02-25-2012, 01:04 AM
I dont think the SD has been given a fair chance. I would like to see a SD limited to ONE rhythm and see if that makes for a better dance. Last year my favorite programs were mostly all waltzes. This year's SDs sucked - the too frequent changes in rhythm just made the program seem a mish-mash, and most of the music was awful to listen to. [I thought V/M would have had a better program if they just used Temptation, for example].

And as several posters have pointed out, the rhumba CD is not very good - not enough rhumba and tended to interfere with the program rather than add to it. Next year's polka programs seem :yikes::yikes: :scream::scream:

I'd like to see them make a serious effort to eliminate the CDs that dont work in this format and concentrate on the ones that do. Limit it to one rhythm and lets see what kind of dances we get. At least for one season.

And for people who want to get rid of the SD, be careful what you wish for. From what I read they want to replace it with a particular series of steps incorporated into an O/D. They're not bringing back CDs.

Cherub721
02-25-2012, 01:05 AM
I don't get this. SDs and ODs are exactly the same program. Take out the CD sequence and stick a closed hold footwork sequence in it's place and you got a OD. I don't think the format stifles creativity and more than the OD did.

Now, if we're talking about going back to the true "Original Dance", the ones from the 90's that were two and a half minutes of intricate and original choreography that required spot-on partnering and interpretation, then I'm all for it. D&W would never win an OD phase again. :lol:

Those were the ODs that I loved.... like in G&P's golden days... :swoon: It's gotten progressively less free since then... first the inclusion of the no touch step sequence and other elements, then the code of points made couples recycle a lot of the same elements and steps, and now with the SD everyone literally has to do the same steps for two patterns.

Braulio
02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
I do not like the SD at all, is so weird all the mixing waltz-tangos last season and now is horrible with the attempts at latin with a rhumba that clearly isn´t

Bring back CD, OD and FD

but being realistic, bring back the OD

Sparks
02-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Maybe the SD still need some revisions. I like the idea of having ONE pattern. Going back to the CD/OD poses its own problems.

casken
02-25-2012, 01:27 AM
I just saw this part in the article:

An announcement had just been made that the Finnstep Pattern Dance will be part of the requirements for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi where Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir hope to defend the Olympic laurels they earned in Vancouver.

No wonder V&M are nervous. That dance could be the great equalizer.

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 01:49 AM
I love the Finnstep!

The sd not so much.

kwanfan1818
02-25-2012, 02:02 AM
I think they should dump the SD and replace it with the CD with the current tech panel level marking or return to the OSP, revised to include a few required features that the teams can use anywhere in their pattern, to be repeated three times. I don't see the usefulness of the OD, if there's a FD.

bbkenn
02-25-2012, 02:03 AM
nevermind

bbkenn
02-25-2012, 02:11 AM
I also think that the OD should come back, with one pattern and lots of points for originality and expression, choreography and a real reflection of the dance. If it's a tango, it should be a tango; if it's a waltz, a waltz, etc. Points should also reflect edge quality, flow, not just speed and I'd like there to be NO twizzles, I'm sick of seeing them.

Aussie Willy
02-25-2012, 06:53 AM
This is only the second season it has been in and whilst I would prefer the old format, if they are going to keep it, I think it needs to be given more time to iron out the kinks. And they probably need to use the more difficult pattern dances as part of it as that does sort out the couples out. The Golden Waltz for me worked better than the Rhumba. The Rhumba was kind of like blink and you miss it. At least a more difficult pattern dance is more of a challenge and has more substance.

casken
02-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Also from that "article",

Her partner is adamant in his belief that, “The pattern dance slows down our presentation. This season’s Rhumba – the dance on ice dates back to 1964! The (set) steps slow our routines down.”

Can we get rid of the twizzles and footwork sequence as well since they slow a lot of team's routines down too? :D

Japanfan
02-25-2012, 07:46 AM
I think they should dump the SD and replace it with the CD with the current tech panel level marking or return to the OSP, revised to include a few required features that the teams can use anywhere in their pattern, to be repeated three times. I don't see the usefulness of the OD, if there's a FD.

Aren't the CD and OSP different things entirely?

I used to love both the CDs and ODs - especially loved the two folk themed ODs in recent years.

The SD has failed to grow on me - I liked it better last year than year. This year most of the programs felt like set rhumba patterns choreographed into 'free' programs that were incomplete and unsatisfactory. The waltz pattern just worked better.

I like the idea of an OSP or OD with required elements, and the required elements could include a set pattern. What about allowing the skaters to pick any set pattern? That would free up the possibilities of the dance/OD/OPS tremendously - and give ice dancers similar options to those of singles and pairs.

An OD or OPS would/should be the equivalent of a SP in singles and pairs.

escaflowne9282
02-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I hate the SD as well. I miss the CD and OD.

miffy
02-25-2012, 08:28 AM
I'd be happy with a CD and FD but I am sure I am in the minority (and TV stations would probably not show much of the CD.) But I just find a lot of ice dance teams who can COP-blitz their way to the top wouldn't have been very good at CDs and I think it's a shame that ice dance has come to this. :( I miss the CDs.