PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Detective Novels

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Holley Calmes
02-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Cyn, Kathy Reichs' books are so much better than the show! Although I don't hate the program as much as you do, we just don't watch it anymore. But, the books are really good, especially the first ones. Temperance splits her time between Charlotte, NC and Montreal, and there are books for each city but they all sort of fit. She flies back and forth. But the forensic imput is really fascinating, and you know this woman knows her stuff. Don't let the TV show throw you off the books if you ever feel like trying them. Go back to the first one and see what you think.

pat c
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
I like many of the ones already listed. Did anyone mention M.C. Beaton - Hamish McBeth series and Gail Bowen - Joanne Kilburn series?

orientalplane
02-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone and The Woman in White. Talk about page turners! :kickass:

Nomad
02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone and The Woman in White. Talk about page turners! :kickass:

Collins is one of my favorite 19th century authors.

Sayana_mnk
02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I was glad to see a few posters in this thread mentioning some "Golden Age" authors and their works. To them I highly recommend books by Dorothy Cameron Disney, an author from this time period who has been unfairly ignored, even by scholars of the genre. Her first book, "Death in the Back Seat", is now in print again, though, and is available on Amazon.

Prancer
02-25-2012, 05:22 PM
And Christie was notorious for introducing the villain at the very end and the reader had no opportunity to figure out what was happening.

:confused: I haven't read Christie in a while, but I don't remember that being the case at all. I always knew whodunnit in her books because it was always the one person in the cast of characters who couldn't possibly have done it. The trick was figuring out how the villain did it anyway.

I hate mysteries in which the villain in introduced at the very end, but I have never considered Christie books one of them.

rfisher
02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
:confused: I haven't read Christie in a while, but I don't remember that being the case at all. I always knew whodunnit in her books because it was always the one person in the cast of characters who couldn't possibly have done it. The trick was figuring out how the villain did it anyway.

I hate mysteries in which the villain in introduced at the very end, but I have never considered Christie books one of them.

I should have said she introduced information at the very end about the villian that the reader didn't have. She didn't actually introduce new characters to the story. I like being able to figure out the puzzle along with the protagonist and don't like it when they suddenly point the accusing finger at the butler and tell me all this stuff I didn't know. :lol: That's not fair plotting. But, at least she did have a definable plot and with the modern focus on character development, good plotting is lost. I just finished listening to a series of short stories by Catherine Aird and she did such a good job of combining both key information about the characters, key clues about the plot/mystery and a satisfactory conclusion. I think that is really challenging to do both in a short story and she did an excellent job. Sadly, not many do. Even my beloved Lee Child's latest Reacher novels have been :lol: with the gaping plot holes in the story, although the most recent was a little better.

And one of my favorite series is Preston and Child's Agent Pendergast series. Lurve me some Pendergast. I actually like John Sanford's Virgil Flowers spin off better than his Lucas Davenport novels. Mostly, because I like Virgil better than Davenport.

Scrufflet
02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Some wonderful writers mentioned! Thanks for this thread! I consume several mysteries per week so obviously am on the lookout for new ones. Have read some wonderful Scandinavian noir recently. Indradson, Lackberg are two that come to mind.

Quentin Jardine
Stuart MacBride
Denise Mina (Scot noir!)
Robert Crais
James Lee Burke
Alafair Burke (his daughter)
Jesse Kellerman (better than his parents)
and, my all time fave,
Reg Hill! He is a superb writer and you won't find a better character than Andy Dalziel! Treat yourself and read this series from the beginning!

Kasey
02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
My faves were always the Sherlock Holmes series, and any of Agatha Christie's. But I will say that the most re-readable for me based on how he wrote is Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels.

merrywidow
02-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Some more of my favorites: Margaret Maron, Anne Perry,Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Douglas Preston, Preston & Child, Carolyn Haines, Lyn Hamilton, Karen Kijewski, Jack Higgins, Frederick Forsyth. I like all types of mysteries.

rfisher
02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Some more of my favorites: Margaret Maron, Anne Perry,Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Douglas Preston, Preston & Child, Carolyn Haines, Lyn Hamilton, Karen Kijewski, Jack Higgins, Frederick Forsyth. I like all types of mysteries.

Carolyn will have a new book out this summer. I'm hoping she drops Graf and puts Sarah Booth back with Harold. I know she felt constrained with having all the murders take place close to home, but those really are her best work. I'm so glad her sales have been good enough that she's kept her contract. So many have lost theirs. :(

Tinami Amori
02-25-2012, 08:17 PM
When growing up I’ve read all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “Sherlock Holmes” novels, and all of Agatha Christie’s “Poirot” and “Miss Marple” novels.

I specifically enjoy just the “gentleman detectives” genre (or “lady detective”). I prefer high-society settings, conduct and characters, and “stories of elegant crimes” i.e. jewelry and art heists, like the story line of “Thomas Crown Affair - 2”.

The crime itself does not have to be exciting or complicated, but the interactions, the language, the form, and relations between characters are important to me. It makes it even more so pleasant if the scenario takes place in any luxury setting, a villa, a cruise down the Nile, on the canals of Venice, etc.

In addition to Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, I enjoy the following

Wilkie Collins – “Moonstone/Lady in White”

Lord Peter Wimsey – “Dorothy L. Sayers”

Edgar Allan Poe – “C. Augustus Dupin”

Robert Van Gulik – “Judge Dee”

Nikolas Blake (aka C. Day-Lewis) – “Nigel Strangeways/Issue of Proof”

Colin Dexter – “Inspector Morse”

Manuel Vazquez Montalban - “Detective Pepe Carvalho”

Donna Leon – “Commissario Brunetti”.

IceAlisa
02-25-2012, 08:28 PM
As a kid, I loved Georges Simenon's Commissaire Maigret series. Still love to catch an episode on TV.

KHenry14
02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
An unusual one that BrokenAnkle and I both like (that's rare!) is the Ian Rutledge novels by Charles Todd (which is really co-written by Charles and his mother Caroline). is a Scotland Yard inspector who came back damaged from WWI and is piecing his life together by solving crimes for the Yard. The Rutledge charactor is haunted by the memory of something from the War, a charactor named Hamish who resides in his psyche and provides an interesting counterpoint to the main charactor. Good stuff

Here's more info.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_and_Charles_Todd

tracylynn
02-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh, I love reading detective novels. Though I haven't read in awhile my favorites are:
Kathy Reichs - the books are way better than the show. Though I do like the show I just wish they would have made the Dr. Brennan character on the show like she really is in the books. She's nothing like the character on the show.
Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown (that's a cat). - Rita Mae writes mysteries where the animals help solve the case and she includes her cat (Sneaky Pie) that she got from the shelter as co-author. There are easy to read and not too graphic.
Robert Crais - have not read his books in awhile but I liked his Elvis Cole novels.
Janet Evanovich - like her books but I feel she is starting to repeat the same humor over and over again.
Robert Parker - I did like his book with the female detective named Sunny.