PDA

View Full Version : Greatest European Singles male skater

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ciocio
02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Dick Button. Only Euro to win a U.S. National title! :P

You mean hes the only American to win a medal at European Championships. ;)

berthesghost
02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
You mean hes the only American to win a medal at European Championships. ;)You mean hes the only American to win a title at European Championships. ;)
Gretchen Merrill took silver in ladies in 47

Jenny81
02-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I voted for Alexei Yagudin.
He is the best. :respec:

ciocio
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
You mean hes the only American to win a title at European Championships. ;)
Gretchen Merrill took silver in ladies in 47

Sorry, I forgot about Gretchen Merrill. :slinkaway

mia joy
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
The one and only - Yags without a doubt.

And honorable mentions for Plushenko and Joubert, for perseverance and consistency.

lily
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
The most interesting and original and that's why the greatest are Lambiel and Curry.

berthesghost
02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Sorry, I forgot about Gretchen Merrill. :slinkaway
That's ok, I forgot that marbel Vinson took the bronze in 1934 too! :lol:

briancoogaert
02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
John Curry :swoon: my favorite ever
Alexei Yagudin
Stephane Lambiel

I like Robin Cousins but I didn't watch that much of his skating (1980 programs and some pros programs).

theshrew
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Robin was a better jumper of course, and in terms of speed a better spinner with superb positions for the most part, although John's were even more refined. However John used speed for artistic reasons and when he wanted to could be just as fast as Robin, but he never felt compelled to skate everything flat out fast because it didn't suit his artistic vision. And to say that Robin's basics were far superior is just laughable. John was hardly scraping his way through gazillions of crossovers out there. It took incredible strength, skill and control of the edges to skate the way John did with such perfect body positions.

ITA. I just rewatched some of Robins programs (and Johns) and I was surprised how much Robin telegraphed his jumps. A full rink of crossovers for a double or a 3R! (and his stroking was kind of ugly).
Yes, Robin was the better jumper and had superb spins but no way he was that much better than John or better than all the other guys combined, as someone said.
Id love to find out why people think that Robin was so much better .

berthesghost
02-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Id love to find out why people think that Robin was so much better ."people"? Are you trying to insinuate that judgejudy has multiple personalities? :lol:

Marco
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Curry, Cousins and Lambiel.

As great as their jumps were, the Russians weren't really in the same league skating wise.

blue_idealist
03-03-2012, 03:20 AM
I have to say Plushenko, mostly because of his ability to compete at a high level for so long. He has three Olympic medals now, and could get a fourth at the next Olympics! I'm not really a fan of him personally, but I can't deny he's great.

pinky166
03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Ilia Kulik anyone?

Vash01
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Ilia Kulik anyone?

Definitely very talented, athletic, artistic, even at a young age, and even better as a pro.

Marlowe
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I voted for Yagudin. He had it all - great athleticism and great artistry. Kulik and Cousins would be my next top picks.