PDA

View Full Version : Greatest European Singles male skater

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

rosebrallier
02-25-2012, 09:14 PM
To me, Curry's skating was absolutely magical, breathtaking. So while this list has a lot of great skaters, Curry has made the greatest impression on me.

aftershocks
02-25-2012, 09:43 PM
these polls always mean whatever you want then to. :lol:
Given that yags is winning while plushy and lambiel duke it out for bronze, I'd say most people vote by "I wasn't even born yet in 98, so I'll just vote for my favorite" :lol:

^^ This! :lol:

... Cousins because I would have missed him the most if he hadn't existed....

Absolutely! But then, we wouldn't have known what we were missing... BTW, Paul Wylie and Jeremy Abbott count Robin Cousins as the skater who influenced them the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KM-9VIkQI superb!

Robin's costume resembles what Jeremy is wearing this season for his Swing sp. :)

ETA: Yes, I agree museks8r re Urmanov. I was remiss in not including Urmanov in my earlier ranking -- re who appeals to me the most :). I love Joubert's charisma, but unfortunately he was the greatest European skater who got lost in the mix as the generation of Yags/ Plushy mostly macho with athleticism and a nod to artistry, suddenly gave way to a renewed recognition of the beauty male skaters can wrought with the likes of Weir, Buttle, Savoie on the cusp of old and new, Lambiel, Dai Taka, Abbott, et al.

judgejudy27
02-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Cousins was a much better all around free skater than Curry. He was just as artistic but his speed, power, personality on ice, jumping quality, basic skating, were all far superior. If they competed in their primes I doubt Curry would have ever beaten Cousins in a free skating program head to head. Curry wasnt even the dominant free skater of his own time, he often lost the free skate to Kovalev, LOL! He won only 1 World title despite unlike Cousins being very strong in figures.

Cranston was more influential than Curry despite that he didnt win a major title. He was also a superior free skater.

aftershocks
02-25-2012, 11:25 PM
^^ ITA with your assessments. I think that Curry himself was greatly influenced by Cranston. I also agree that Curry was not dominant as an eligible skater. His greatest eligible skate was at the 1976 Olympics. After the Olympics, Curry's influence was felt with the professional ice shows he produced and also his professional singles career had a great impact. Cranston was definitely more influential and more brilliant artistically (but I don't think many feel this way, simply b/c Cranston did not win Olympic gold -- in fact, medals should not be the major factor in making assessments).

misskarne
02-26-2012, 06:06 AM
The other guys on the list are far behind, except for Plushy, WHO OBVIOUSLY IS IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF -- his chutzpah, jumping ability, and utter determination can not be compared. .

I wasn't going to post in this thread - too big a call to make IMO - but I had to respond to this.

What in the name of Plushenchrist is chutzpah? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Vash01
02-26-2012, 07:00 AM
I wasn't going to post in this thread - too big a call to make IMO - but I had to respond to this.

What in the name of Plushenchrist is chutzpah? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here is the definition of Chutzpah, from Merriam-Webster dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chutzpah

floskate
02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Cousins was a much better all around free skater than Curry. He was just as artistic but his speed, power, personality on ice, jumping quality, basic skating, were all far superior. If they competed in their primes I doubt Curry would have ever beaten Cousins in a free skating program head to head. Curry wasnt even the dominant free skater of his own time, he often lost the free skate to Kovalev, LOL! He won only 1 World title despite unlike Cousins being very strong in figures.

Cranston was more influential than Curry despite that he didnt win a major title. He was also a superior free skater.

Robin was a better jumper of course, and in terms of speed a better spinner with superb positions for the most part, although John's were even more refined. However John used speed for artistic reasons and when he wanted to could be just as fast as Robin, but he never felt compelled to skate everything flat out fast because it didn't suit his artistic vision. And to say that Robin's basics were far superior is just laughable. John was hardly scraping his way through gazillions of crossovers out there. It took incredible strength, skill and control of the edges to skate the way John did with such perfect body positions. And just because John lost to Kovalev in some free programs doesn't mean he actually should have lost to him or was outskated by him. Politics were fierce and often the result had nothing to do with what was actually skated.

misskarne
02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Here is the definition of Chutzpah, from Merriam-Webster dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chutzpah

Thankyou!~

I assume the poster meant self-confidence? I find the definition rather confusing.

Although, a synonym is "sauciness". I think we all know that Plushy is quite saucy. :lol: :grope::plush:

Holley Calmes
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't see Plush as saucy within the definition as I know it, but in my opinion, he is certainly strong willed, determined and has great perserverance. That's quite a combination. I wish him well.

But it's a no-brainer for me-Yagudin, Yagudin, Yagudin. Then Curry, Lambiel, Dai....Yes, I always liked Joubert too, but I think for other reasons than his skating...:lol:

Vash01
02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Thankyou!~

I assume the poster meant self-confidence? I find the definition rather confusing.

Although, a synonym is "sauciness". I think we all know that Plushy is quite saucy. :lol: :grope::plush:

The dictionary lists multiple meanings, so it's hard to tell which one was meant, but based on the context, I am guessing self confidence. I don't think Plushy is saucy.

VarBar
02-26-2012, 05:43 PM
But it's a no-brainer for me-Yagudin, Yagudin, Yagudin. Then Curry, Lambiel, Dai....Yes, I always liked Joubert too, but I think for other reasons than his skating...:lol:

:lol: Your honesty is appreciated.

Yagudin for me too.:kickass:

judgejudy27
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Robin was a better jumper of course, and in terms of speed a better spinner with superb positions for the most part, although John's were even more refined. However John used speed for artistic reasons and when he wanted to could be just as fast as Robin, but he never felt compelled to skate everything flat out fast because it didn't suit his artistic vision. And to say that Robin's basics were far superior is just laughable. John was hardly scraping his way through gazillions of crossovers out there. It took incredible strength, skill and control of the edges to skate the way John did with such perfect body positions. And just because John lost to Kovalev in some free programs doesn't mean he actually should have lost to him or was outskated by him. Politics were fierce and often the result had nothing to do with what was actually skated.

Why would politics be much more against Curry than Cousins though. They were both from the same country. I agree with your points, but still IMHO I just consider Cousins a superior all around free skater, as the judges did as well. He was basically all that Curry but with much more athletic and technical ability, dynamic quality, and personality, versatility and performance qualities on the ice. Toller Crantson also said he felt Cousins was a much stronger skater than Curry.

floskate
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Why would politics be much more against Curry than Cousins though. They were both from the same country. I agree with your points, but still IMHO I just consider Cousins a superior all around free skater, as the judges did as well. He was basically all that Curry but with much more athletic and technical ability, dynamic quality, and personality, versatility and performance qualities on the ice. Toller Crantson also said he felt Cousins was a much stronger skater than Curry.

The 1970 - 76 era was very different artistically than that of 1977 - 80. As was the overall skating presented by men competing at the highest level. Male skaters in the early 1970's were still pressured into certain rules of presentation and Curry's style broke all those rules (as did Toller's). Watch Toller skating in 1971 and he is a very different skater to the flamboyant artist he went on to become. He was accepted quicker than John because he was more consistent over the years leading to 1976 I think. But you only have to look at the 1976 Europeans where John skated just as flawlessly as in Innsbruck to see that politics were still against him.

Carlo Fassi apparently did not want John to skate at the Europeans as there were 5 eastern European judges on the panel and he felt that a loss in Geneva would harm him politically in Innsbruck. But John did compete and only won because the czech judge (I think it was the czech judge) put Curry first over Kovalev and went against the Eastern bloc. He did not judge internationally again for 10 years .

Once the floodgates had opened and John had won a major ISU title, it became easier for the judges to give John the marks he actually deserved and defend their decisions to their federations. There are many other instances where John should have placed ahead of Kovalev or indeed Jan Hoffmann in the free skating including 1973 Worlds and 1975 Europeans and Worlds.

While I have no problem with you preferring Robin over John and can totally see why you would do so, I don't really understand why you make such sweeping statements based on nothing and that are absolutely untrue to justify your thoughts!

Oh and I love Toller to bits but anything he ever said about John was coloured by the very dysfunctional relationship they endured.

shine
02-27-2012, 01:54 AM
these polls always mean whatever you want then to. :lol:

If we go by your very astute observation of standards: titles+record+skills+influence=greatest, then gilles graftstrum would be ducking it out with ulrick salchow, but they're not even listed as options (other than "other").

Given that yags is winning while plushy and lambiel duke it out for bronze, I'd say most people vote by "I wasn't even born yet in 98, so I'll just vote for my favorite" :lol:
Or they just genuinely feel that they are the greatest :) I had a huge crush on Yagudin's skating when I was a teenager during his prime, but I subsequently found my true and undying love in Lambiel's skating :swoon:

Vagabond
02-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Dick Button. Only Euro to win a U.S. National title! :P