PDA

View Full Version : Greatest North American Singles male skater

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

aliceanne
03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised it didn't name after him, "flying button".

Though those older skaters invented moves, could they measure up to today's skating standard? I don't think so.

Perhaps they could if they had the advantage of the advanced training methods of the skaters today. They were the top athletes of their day. Why would you assume they couldn't?

bardtoob
03-16-2012, 01:15 AM
David Jenkins really deserves more votes.

jettasian
03-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Perhaps they could if they had the advantage of the advanced training methods of the skaters today. They were the top athletes of their day. Why would you assume they couldn't?

Today, many skaters in their prime still have trouble hitting triples and quads. It's easier said than done.

David Jenkins really deserves more votes.

I think this poll is more about who's "your favorite" skater rather than who's "the greatest". No way Kurt Browning is the greatest. One of the best, yes, greatest, no.

aliceanne
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Today, many skaters in their prime still have trouble hitting triples and quads. It's easier said than done.

The only difference I can see between the skaters of today and yesterday is that they start training younger, train more hours, and have the technique already laid out for them. The early skaters had to invent the technique, and train around school and jobs. Plus they couldn't even accept money for working in the rink snack bar. Yet they still managed to not only do triples, but invent the technique. I suspect if they had the advantages of todays skaters they would still be on top.

julieann
03-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Today, many skaters in their prime still have trouble hitting triples and quads. It's easier said than done

ITA, You can't compare a sport from 30 years ago, it's a different sport.

Skaters today have more competitions with much more difficult choreography. Some also have jobs and many have higher education so to compare one skating generation to another won't work.

jettasian
03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
The only difference I can see between the skaters of today and yesterday is that they start training younger, train more hours, and have the technique already laid out for them. The early skaters had to invent the technique, and train around school and jobs. Plus they couldn't even accept money for working in the rink snack bar. Yet they still managed to not only do triples, but invent the technique. I suspect if they had the advantages of todays skaters they would still be on top.

I started watching in Kurt Browning's era, so I can't say how skating was like before that. But I can guess by no way the older generations had such high demand as of today's skaters in terms of jumps and other elements. Older generations invented jumps because there were none before them. Now, a LP requires 8 jumps and many of them have to be different, axel, lutz...etc. Each skater has to master all those different jumps, and also in combinations.

berthesghost
03-17-2012, 12:17 PM

I think this poll is more about who's "your favorite" skater rather than who's "the greatest". No way Kurt Browning is the greatest. One of the best, yes, greatest, no.
ITA but for me it's Chan's 3 place that really makes this poll a total joke. Might as well just make Gracie gold an option! :lol:

jettasian
03-17-2012, 04:29 PM
ITA but for me it's Chan's 3 place that really makes this poll a total joke. Might as well just make Gracie gold an option! :lol:

A joke as he should be higher, or a joke as he shouldn't be on the list?

museksk8r
03-17-2012, 04:54 PM
A joke as he should be higher, or a joke as he shouldn't be on the list?

"Might as well just make Gracie gold an option!" makes it abundantly clear that berthes believes he should be lower, as do I. Having him in 8th or 9th among the guys polled would be more accurate, IMO. That he is above Brian Boitano in votes is a complete farce!

merrywidow
03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Let's not forget that for the older skaters one of their main focus' was of school figures. IMO, I think many of the modern medalists couldn't even place in the top 6 in school figures & consequently, would find it very difficult to medal. I may be wrong (please correct me) but I believe back in the day school figures counted for 50% of the score, short program was 20%, & long program 30%.

VarBar
03-17-2012, 05:13 PM
It seems some people feel they are entitled to call those who voted for Chan instead of voting for Boitano a bunch of bad jokes. Such arrogance, really.:rolleyes:

Let's scold Vash01 for having included Chan in the poll to begin with.:lol:

briancoogaert
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, actually, Chan has better skating skills than any other skater, if not the best ever, IMO. So, I see why he got votes.
It depends on what we call great or greatest, I guess.

Jammers
03-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Something about Chan's skating leaves me cold. He can do all the jumps and other skills but he's just not a great performer. Maybe in time he will become one.

jettasian
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
"Might as well just make Gracie gold an option!" makes it abundantly clear that berthes believes he should be lower, as do I. Having him in 8th or 9th among the guys polled would be more accurate, IMO. That he is above Brian Boitano in votes is a complete farce!

Then that poster's really insulting to compare Patrick Chan to Gracie Gold.

I have to disagree with you. I think Chan should be higher. Chan has just won ONE world title, and already is considered one of the all time bests by many skaters and critics (Kurt himself, French commentators etc). And I'm sure he will win more and continue to improve even more in the years to come. Were others on the list considered the best when they first won their World?

jettasian
03-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Something about Chan's skating leaves me cold. He can do all the jumps and other skills but he's just not a great performer. Maybe in time he will become one.

Whether one is a great performer or not is very subjective. Beside, I watch figure skating for competition. I will leave "performance" for galas and Skating on Ice.