PDA

View Full Version : Greatest North American Singles male skater

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

aliceanne
03-02-2012, 03:15 PM
ITA on all 3 counts.

He eligible career is actually the only time I liked him. But I think the one thing that comes up over and over again in these recent polls, is that many fans have no room for presentation that isn't classical. Scott here, Midori in the asian thread, Surya in the Euro thread... there is this idea that they had zero presentation skills while in reality all 3 where highly charismatic and skated with great energy and excitement, just not balletic appeal.

I totally agree. Variety is the spice of life. Skaters should work with their body type not against it. I would be bored to death if every skater were a clone of the ideal body type. Scott or Elvis would look ridiculous trying to skate like classical dancers. Besides, we already have ballet for that (and I do love John Curry and Katherine Healy).

Triple Butz
03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
ITA on all 3 counts.

He eligible career is actually the only time I liked him. But I think the one thing that comes up over and over again in these recent polls, is that many fans have no room for presentation that isn't classical.

Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
I never got the "wuz robbed" buzz with regard to "the great flailer".

irony?:D

jettasian
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Chan is and will be the best, no question about it.

skatesindreams
03-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Toller Cranston and Dick Button are equal, IMO.
More than any others on this list, they transformed the sport, forever.

The lasting impact of more contemporary skaters, is yet to be determined.

judgejudy27
03-03-2012, 02:07 AM
Chan's biggest legacy will be enabling the judges to give their favorites victories in every competition even with many mistakes and falls. They may not have felt they could get away with it before, but Chan has shown them they can get away with if they are consistent enough with it and get people to realize they are allpowering and can literally do anything they choose now with the vague scoring system.

blue_idealist
03-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Objectively, I could not decide, especially since I hadn't seen some of the older ones. So I went with my personal opinion, and voted for Browning. :)

professordeb
03-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Chan's biggest legacy will be enabling the judges to give their favorites victories in every competition even with many mistakes and falls. They may not have felt they could get away with it before, but Chan has shown them they can get away with if they are consistent enough with it and get people to realize they are allpowering and can literally do anything they choose now with the vague scoring system.

:rolleyes: Wow, tell us how you really feel.

Oh wait, I forgot. You have numerous times in multiple threads. Aren't you tired of flogging that horse yet? Isn't it dead yet? :P ;)

VarBar
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Your list of top ten men of all time

1. Dick Button- way ahead of his time
2. Alexei Yagudin
3. Robin Cousins
4. Brian Boitano
5. Kurt Browning
6. John Curry
7. Evgeny Plushenko
8. Elvis Stojko
9. Brian Orser
10. Patrick Chan

Honorable mentions- Toller Cranston, Scott Hamilton, Gillis Grafstrom, Ulrich Salchow, Karl Schafer, Jenkins Brothers

No skater post 2006 belongs on the list at all IMHO.

As posted here:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81022

I suppose you included Chan for his biggest legacy.:lol:

judgejudy27
03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
I suppose you included Chan for his biggest legacy.:lol:

Why of course. :lol: That and that he is a pretty good skater when he isnt falling and stumbling his way to certain pre judged wins and displays that on other occasions as well.

aliceanne
03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
If legacy is your criteria, then Jackson Haines is your man. We wouldn't even be discussing the others without his ccontribution to the sport, namely performing a routine with leaps, turns, costumes, and music as opposed to tracing elaborate patterns on the ice.

jettasian
03-05-2012, 08:44 PM

That's just nonsense and baseless accusations.
Chan won competitions because of his skating skills, speed, transitions, choreography, difficult programs, commanding the ice, high jumping base values, overall qualities etc.

jettasian
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Why of course. :lol: That and that he is a pretty good skater when he isnt falling and stumbling his way to certain pre judged wins and displays that on other occasions as well.

Every skater can make mistakes. Chan's not the one that makes the most. As for your "pre judged wins", do you have any proof or just spreading lies that you think the more you say it, the more it will become true?

operagirl
03-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Dick Button. But someone should mention Ronnie Robertson, who won the LP by 10 points over Hayes Jenkins at the 1956 Olympics (at that time school figures counted 70%) and finished second. He was also one of the greatest spinners of all time.

Aceon6
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Kurt... I'm an edge slut.

Vash01
03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Every skater can make mistakes. Chan's not the one that makes the most. As for your "pre judged wins", do you have any proof or just spreading lies that you think the more you say it, the more it will become true?

There is a difference between lies and opinions. JJ is just expressing an opinion. You need to lighten up.