PDA

View Full Version : Greatest North American Singles male skater

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

aftershocks
02-25-2012, 06:00 AM
I'd probably include Toller Cranston before a couple of these guys...

ITA! :respec:

Was Toller left off the list b/c his skating surpasses that of a mere mortal?

ETA:

ITA with you as well Karpenko! :respec: Dick Button all the way.

Is Evan on the list b/c he won Olympic gold and a World championship? Clearly Johnny Weir at his best was superior to Evan artistically, stylistically, inspiration-wise. Obviously, there are names missing from this list. I'd include Charlie Tickner and even Rudy Galindo before Evan Lysacek. Olympic gold, while reputable and everlasting, is not the ultimate measure of greatness. Evan is and will always be known as a great and fierce competitor, but not in my humble estimation, one of the greatest NA singles men skaters.

ITA with museksk8r as well, re Jeremy, Jeffrey, and Matt!

paskatefan
02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I love SO many guys on this list (Todd, Paul, Kurt, Brian O. in particular), but I had to go with "Uncle Dickie!" Re: Todd & Kurt - it's a shame that neither has an Olympic medal, but I still think they're both wonderful. I would love to see Matt Savoie included in this list, too.

bardtoob
02-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Dick Button for his competitive career (2 olympic golds, 5 world titles, 7 time US champion ) and technical innovation: he was the first to land the double axel, the first to land a triple jump (triple loop) and the first to do a flying camel

Don't forget he was also European Champion :D

aliceanne
02-25-2012, 08:48 PM
For me it would have to be Toller, I enjoy watching him the most.

rosebrallier
02-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Without hesitation THE amazing Kurt Browning !
^^This. All the way.

I wouldn't have put Lysacek on here either. His skating pretty much bores me and he doesn't really have the artistic or athletic ability to stand up to the likes of Chan, Abbott, or many others on this list. That and he was part of a lull in men's skating with the ultimately short-lived and failed anti-quad movement.

stevlin
02-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Jeff Buttle was the best skater at Worlds 2008, winning both short and long program, even scoring alot more points than second place Brian Joubert. Jeff landed every jump cleanly and his artistry was amazing.

fenway2
02-26-2012, 04:02 AM
I'm surprised that Boitano doesn't have more votes. I didn't vote for him but there was a time...during the height of his pro career...that people talked about him like he was the second coming. :shuffle:

BmcC102
02-27-2012, 12:36 AM
I voted for Uncle Dick. Not only the amazing competitive record (see above), the technical breakthrews (invented flying camel, first male to perform a camel spin, first 2axel, first triple, and a triple LOOP at that), but think about how many skaters were impacted by his commentating all these years?

For example, is it really any wonder why the American ladies have had the best layback and spiral positions?

Not to mention what he did for professional skating when there were no other opportunities.

I could go on and on...

judgejudy27
02-27-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm surprised that Boitano doesn't have more votes. I didn't vote for him but there was a time...during the height of his pro career...that people talked about him like he was the second coming. :shuffle:

He probably would have gotten alot more votes if it were 20 years ago. Once Browning fully matured artistically starting in 93 he seemed to be a better skater than Boitano though, and now we have Chan's emergence.

fenway2
02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
He probably would have gotten alot more votes if it were 20 years ago. Once Browning fully matured artistically starting in 93 he seemed to be a better skater than Boitano though, and now we have Chan's emergence. Good point.

love_skate2011
02-27-2012, 07:26 AM
DICK

briancoogaert
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Kurt Browning
Patrick Chan
Brian Boitano

Patrick Chan is probably the best in term of pure skating, but he is not artistically developped enough, IMO.

os168
03-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Whoaaa... 0 votes for Elvis Stojko, the 3 times world champion, 7 times Canadian National Champion?

I guess he is not a 'cup of tea' for alot of people. :yikes:

VarBar
03-01-2012, 01:13 AM
And I'm surprised Scott Hamilton got only one vote. A fourt-time world champion and an Olympic gold medalist, the creator of the Stars on Ice tour and a TV figure skating commentator. Almost like Dick Button.;)

berthesghost
03-01-2012, 05:08 AM
And I'm surprised Scott Hamilton got only one vote. A fourt-time world champion and an Olympic gold medalist, the creator of the Stars on Ice tour and a TV figure skating commentator. Almost like Dick Button.;)True. I love Kurt, but I have no clue why he is winning his poll, or is even higher than 3rd.