PDA

View Full Version : Greatest North American Singles male skater

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

VarBar
02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
I voted for Browning but I think that Chan can beat him in achievements.

Dick Button :respect:.

attyfan
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Dick Button, IMO.

berthesghost
02-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Ok, who's the other freak who voted David Jenkins!? I think it's time for us Jenkins ubers to come out of the closet! :lol:

Vash01
02-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I voted for Browning but I think that Chan can beat him in achievements.

Dick Button :respect:.

Browning: 4 world titles and a long & successful pro career
Chan: 1 world title and a lot to look forward to, but it hasn't happened yet.

It's too early to say Chan will beat Kurt in achievements. The odds are in his favor, but unexpected things happen.

berthesghost
02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
^ exactly, and browning of all people is the proof inthe pudding! Whoever would have thought in 91 "not only will Kurt not win an ogm, but he won't even make the podium!"

museksk8r
02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
A list without Jeremy Abbott, Jeffrey Buttle, and Matt Savoie is just incomplete and wrong I think. For sure, I would have them as being impactful to the sport, much more so than Evan Lysacek, Elvis Stojko, and Todd Eldredge.

Medals alone do not create impact or a legacy, IMO. For me, the emotions you stir in the viewer and artistic images you create for your audience and etch in their minds and souls are more impactful. Jeremy, Jeff, and Matt consistently do/did this for me. Besides, in terms of medal haul, Buttle's resume is more impressive than Eldredge's. Buttle is an Olympic medalist and like Todd, he has 1 World title too.

Proustable
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Elvis's longevity, competitive vigour and record (first quad combo, first 4-3) means he deserves to be on this list, without a doubt. I would rather watch the skaters you list, but I think he's earned his spot.

SamuraiK
02-24-2012, 06:38 PM
For all the hate Chan gets around here.. cool to see him in 3rd place so far.

Jaana
02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I chose Lysacek, because he is my favourite and because he has the necessary merits/titles (OG, WC, GPF and Nationals). Button has more titles than the rest, but I disliked menīs skating before John Curry, LOL.

Buttle (and not Eldredge) should have been on the poll, because besides being a WC, he also won an Olympic medal.

VarBar
02-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Browning: 4 world titles and a long & successful pro career
Chan: 1 world title and a lot to look forward to, but it hasn't happened yet.

It's too early to say Chan will beat Kurt in achievements. The odds are in his favor, but unexpected things happen.

Oh I totally agree with you, that's why I never said Chan will beat but only Chan can beat Browning. Chan in terms of skills already is a better skater than Browning IMO but Chan still has to prove himself in a couple other areas and sure, only time will tell.:)

Beefcake
02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Stojko's ubers must have all died off ...

... or watched their old VHS tapes with fresh eyes. :saint:

Vash01
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
A list without Jeremy Abbott, Jeffrey Buttle, and Matt Savoie is just incomplete and wrong I think. For sure, I would have them as being impactful to the sport, much more so than Evan Lysacek, Elvis Stojko, and Todd Eldredge.

Medals alone do not create impact or a legacy, IMO. For me, the emotions you stir in the viewer and artistic images you create for your audience and etch in their minds and souls are more impactful. Jeremy, Jeff, and Matt consistently do/did this for me. Besides, in terms of medal haul, Buttle's resume is more impressive than Eldredge's. Buttle is an Olympic medalist and like Todd, he has 1 World title too.

Jeff Buttle was an oversight on my part (Toller Cranston even more so); I am not perfect, and will eat a humble pie on that.

I have disagree with you about Abbott and Savoie even though I love their skating. It's not all about medals, but you can't completely ignore the medals either. Competing well under pressure, at worlds/Olympics matters. Savoie was clearly undermarked when he was competing because he never got the full benefit of the COP. Neither of these two won a world medal (I am hoping Jeremy will win at least a bronze this year). I do believe that in order to have an actual impact on the sport a skater needs a medal at the world/Olympic level. Sort of like Yuka Sato- without the 94 world title she may not have gotten as much notice as she did as a pro. We always knew she had great basic skating skills, but without the title she might have been an also ran in the pro circuit. Without the 1981 world title, Denise Biellman might have been remembered as that skater with an amazing spin.That's just how I see it.

seabm7
02-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Jeff Buttle and Toller Cranston should be definitely included in the vote. Is there any way to restart the voting process with theses names in?

ltnskater
02-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Jeff Buttle and Toller Cranston should be definitely included in the vote. Is there any way to restart the voting process with theses names in?

Yes Yes! Restart restart! Put Michelle Kwan in too! :) Sorry I couldn't resist...
for a second time...

So I decided to write something that was actually meaningful this time...
This is a very difficult poll, I honestly don't see any one skater that is greater than the rest (Much easier with European one, or the NA ladies), which is why I requested Michelle Kwan :) She would have my vote :)

Karpenko
02-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Dick Button. Kurt was very good but even if you liked his skating better... There is much more than just his legendary competitive skating career going for Dick Button. He's probably the best NA skater of all-time in any discipline, period.