PDA

View Full Version : Mexico work travel - how safe?

Pages : [1] 2

Louis
02-23-2012, 06:58 PM
I am being asked to go to Mexico for work and would quite likely be traveling alone.

The trip would involve visits to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Puebla, and perhaps Monterrey. I do not speak Spanish, unfortunately.

Questions:
1) Is it safe?
2) What kind of transportation and/or security should I ask for?
3) Any other travel precautions?

In the grand scheme of things, this trip is not super-important, so I think I can get out of it if need be.

Thoughts? Advice?

kwanfan1818
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
When I traveled to Mexico City for business, corporate security guidelines advised us not to take public taxis, but to have the hotels send their own car service. Most public taxis were two-door models, which meant no access out directly from the back seat.

For most of the trip, a co-worker who had grown up there drove us around in a van, so the logistics were much easier for us.

I loved Mexico City. I've never had so much great food in so short a time as I did there.

Aceon6
02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Agree about having a driver, either through the hotel or arranged in advance by your employer. My company specifies that the transport company provide a driver and a recent model mid-tier car - no limos - to avoid unwarranted attention. Last time my boss went, the driver took him around in a Camry.

eta, you'd also want someone to pick you up from the airport.

Kasey
02-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Good to see some tips here, since a friend and I are going to Puerto Vallarta in July. But we're using a co-worker's time share, so it is probably a little different than driving around "real" Mexico ;)

my little pony
02-24-2012, 01:58 AM
i used to have to go to mexico city for work

they need to spring on a better hotel than what they normally use and car service or i wouldnt do it

mikey
02-24-2012, 02:28 AM
I just got back from a week in the Yucatan (with a rental car), and I felt completely safe. Admittedly, though, it's probably one of the safest parts of Mexico right now, and my Spanish isn't too bad.

Ziggy
02-24-2012, 02:34 AM
Don't do it Louis.

You will get kidnapped and killed so they can sell your organs.

Lacey
02-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Do everything at least in a pair, if not in a group. And have someone who speaks Spanish accompany you. And do the car thing above.

BittyBug
02-24-2012, 03:26 AM
FWIW, when a friend of mine had to go to Mexico City for business, her employer (a large US bank) provided a bodyguard.

Southpaw
02-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Don't do it Louis.

:rolleyes: He will not.

He'll get kidnapped and sold into a donkey show as the headliner.

PrincessLeppard
02-24-2012, 04:02 AM
My sister and I went to Mexico City to see 30 Seconds to Mars in concert. My father was positive we were going to die. (I nearly did...inthe mosh pit :P) We did do the private car thing, though.

It's a gorgeous city and I never felt like I was in danger.

El Rey
02-24-2012, 04:39 AM
1) Yes, it is safe. Unfortunately, Monterrey has been affected by drug cartels and is no longer the safest city in Latin America, but business goes on every day and regular people are rarely involved in drug incidents.
2) Have your job arrange for a private car service. Or have the hotel/restaurants call a private taxi. You will also find clean, modern and safe private car services at the airport in Mexico City. I personally feel safe in regular taxis, but I am also Mexican. I would avoid public transport such as subways.
3)Take extra precautions, like private cars, but for the most part the same dangers exist as any other large city.

All the cities you mentioned are quite gorgeous and modern (don't worry about not speaking English), and I think you should really take a chance to visit them if you've never been.

DAngel
02-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Don't do it Louis.

:rolleyes: He will not.

He'll get kidnapped and sold into a donkey show as the headliner.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I went to mexico city with my family last December. Everything was fine and I didn't see/experienced anything dangerous... I have to say their cactus drink was amazing (it was green color and was rather sweet - might have low alcoholic content.)

skateycat
02-24-2012, 06:39 AM
I am being asked to go to Mexico for work and would quite likely be traveling alone.

The trip would involve visits to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Puebla, and perhaps Monterrey...

Thoughts? Advice?

Ask Ana C. Cantu Felix (https://twitter.com/#!/cantufeelicks)?

I would, she's one of my favorite people on Twitter. Almost every time I've put her Twitter name in the tweet, she has replied.

Otherwise, I've got nothing. :)

Ziggy
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
FWIW, when a friend of mine had to go to Mexico City for business, her employer (a large US bank) provided a bodyguard.

Rich people living in a bubble shocker.