PDA

View Full Version : Mexico work travel - how safe?

Pages : 1 [2]

The Village Idiot
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
I can only speak to Mexico City. When I was there for work, our local contact drove us around (airport, work site, hotel) in his personal car. For our final trip to the airport, they had a driver drive us - no taxi. I've heard (cannot confirm) that when executives go there, they are required to be driven in a bulletproof car. We also stayed in a Four Seasons, which is way above our standard level of hotel. In fact, given how tight we are with expenses, I'm pretty amazed that we stayed there.

Saying that, I went down the weekend before the business trip (single female) to do some sightseeing and was fine. I took the subway into town (researched it first, of course) and did some sightseeing. But at sunset, I was back in the hotel and didn't wander. If I went further out (Teotihuacan), I booked an organized tour.

The only "problem" I had were guys (2 separate people, locals) who came up to me and started chit-chatting and wanting to be pals. And by pals, I mean hey how are you, what are you doing here, are you enjoying it, etc. It felt a little rude but I had to keep those conversations short. I didn't want to let those guys in and suddenly be kidnapped. Paranoia, perhaps, but better safe than sorry.

Smiley0884
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
My advice would be to take the normal pre cautions. Mexico is beautiful, and absolutely worth going to (especially if you're looking to get out of this crap north east weather :P ).

Being half Puerto Rican, and having family all over Latin America, I have some relatives that have seen some shady stuff go down, but it's almost always in the non touristy areas. Sticking with a group is always a good idea, as is separating your money. When I travel I always keep some money in my bra incase some one snatches my purse, I have something to fall back on. Of course, you probably won't be wearing a bra, so maybe go with your shoe instead ;)

taf2002
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I went to both Monterrey & Mexico City a long time ago before the drug cartel got so dangerous. Monterrey is pretty but there wasn't much to do there at that time. Mexico City was fabulous...I would put it 3rd behind New York City & Athens as my favorite place I've ever visited. Or maybe even with Athens.

Rob
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
On my company's travel advisory rankings, Mexico City and Monterrey are 4 out of 5 (orange alert) and Guadelajara is 3 out of 5 (yellow) with caveats that this is due to drug trade and kidnapping and not terrorists. Which means we are allowed to go. We are not allowed to go to 5s without special permissions (we have workforce in Afghanistan etc.) Other parts of Mexico (like Yucatan) are 2s and the only 1s are resort islands.

Normal precautions, use the car service, don't stand around on the street at night or go down isolated streets, don't use any outside ATMs (go inside a bank or in your hotel). Look at a map while you are in your hotel room and make note of the area you are going to, how to get back, where is the US embassy or consulate, etc., just in case. Don't do that on the street.

How high profile is your company? If it is very recognizable, don't publicize that you work there. In fact, don't tell any strangers that you are there for work. Don't wear overly slick clothes or a fancy watch etc. Nothing that make might anyone think that your company or family could pay $$$$$$$ in ransom.

Read the State Department's travel advisory on Mexico, which says much of the above.

I go to Mexico City all the time to visit husband's family -- they won't let me go anywhere alone, but we go all over the place without incident. My brother in law's brand new SUV got stolen at gunpoint in the Mexico City burbs, but it was a pimped out ride and that happens here too. He went with something less blingy and he's had no issues since. Make sure to see the museums when you are there.

Puebla is really nice.

mikey
02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Read the State Department's travel advisory on MexicoThe State Department's travel advisories sometimes seem a bit overstated, in my opinion. Just use common sense when traveling.

Rob
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
They are typically out of date, but even so, they contain reminders of normal precautions.

Louis
02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Well, I'm going.... and during the week of Worlds no less. :mad: Does Mexican TV have good coverage of skating, I hope?

Monterrey is out, but Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Puebla, here I come! Hope you see me in April. :lol:

Rob
02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I saw Goodwill Games on TV in Mexico, but I would set your DVR.

Rogue
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, I'm going.... and during the week of Worlds no less. :mad: Does Mexican TV have good coverage of skating, I hope?

Monterrey is out, but Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Puebla, here I come! Hope you see me in April. :lol:

If not, I'm sure you'll be staying in a nice enough hotel for internet viewing.

Have a great trip. And if you get a chance, definitely go to one of the pyramids.

equatorial
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
:rolleyes: He will not.

He'll get kidnapped and sold into a donkey show as the headliner.

He will end up fcuking ponies in a small cabaret in Tijuana :scream:

allezfred
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM

You'll be able to buy the ISU's streaming service so you'll get to see everything if you want to. :lol:

MacMadame
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
The State Department's travel advisories sometimes seem a bit overstated, in my opinion.

Really? I thought it kind of underplayed all the problems there, myself.