PDA

View Full Version : 9 yr/old girl dies after being forced to run for 3 hours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bostonfan
02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-step-mother-and-grandmother-charged-for-murder-of-9yearold-girl-20120222,0,932859.story

While I'm sure they didn't intend for her to run to death, what possible rationale can there be to make a child run for 3 hours over a chocolate bar? Talk about an extreme punishment. They say she was punished because she ate the chocolate which contributes to a bladder issue (which I bet is bullsh*t), and you make her run for 3 hours?

And I wonder about the little girl. Was she so afraid that if she stopped running, there would be a worse punishment? There's more to this story.

IceAlisa
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Not sure what the temperatures were like where she ran but even not considering that factor, for a non-athlete to run for that long without replenishing fluids and lytes is asking for trouble. Even for an athlete the problem is the same. Poor thing.

Cachoo
02-23-2012, 03:24 PM
So she has a medical condition that chocolate triggers---she eats chocolate putting her in jeopardy medically and her "loved ones" response is to make her run for three hours. ITA with those who believe there is a lot more to this story and it will get even uglier. Poor child....

skatesindreams
02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
When will these stories of abuse masquerading as discipline, end?

NinjaTurtles
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Is it common for parents to use exercise as a form of punishment?* I wonder if the physical taxation is conceptualized as cruel or corporal.

*"Reasonably", not to the extreme degree as cited in the article in the OP.

IceAlisa
02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
So she has a medical condition that chocolate triggers---she eats chocolate putting her in jeopardy medically and her "loved ones" response is to make her run for three hours.

The article said that the "condition" could not be confirmed, not that it really matters either way.

Hannahclear
02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm being a jerk, but why am I not surprised this took place in Alabama?

IceAlisa
02-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm being a jerk, but why am I not surprised this took place in Alabama?

You ARE being a jerk.

rvi5
02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Possibly in their mind, they were punishing her by making her exercise away the calories gained from eating the chocolate bar.

numbers123
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I wasn't able to find much on a bladder medical condition and relationship to eating chocolate other than a neurogenic bladder - which the article stated that there *might be a relationship between diet and control of the bladder condition*.

Urinary incontinence that might be helped by diet factors constitutes a punishment that severe?

Neurogenic bladder has many physical causes that make bladder control difficult

Bostonfan
02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Look, when I was a kid, my mom doled out punishments that involved physical activity, usually in the form of long and boring chores (weeding, cleaning out the garage, etc). I've seen middle school and high school athletes go through double and triple sessions during the summer to prepare for their sports. I've seen some parents require their children to do push-ups (never more than 10 or so pushups) to deal with behavior. But in those cases, the activities were monitored and didn't preclude drinking or going to the bathroom.

I'm sure the defense will be that they had no intent to harm and the result was unintentional, they have remorse, etc. I can already hear the plea for leniency. Grrrrr....

I have no basis for this opinion, but I can't help but wonder if they were the kind of guardians that were obsessed with weight and freaked out that she ate candy - thus having her "run it off" as a punishment.

centerstage01
02-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm being a jerk

Well, at least you acknowledged it.

CynicElle
02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh, yay -- the mom's expecting another child soon. What wonderful news. :rolleyes:

floskate
02-23-2012, 06:05 PM
This is truly shocking and that's saying something in this day and age where we seem to be bombarded with stories of horrific child abuse on a daily basis. That poor girl :(

Sasha'sSpins
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Correction (I originally said 'parent's)

Poor little girl. I think her stepmother and grandmother are monsters.

RIP. :(