PDA

View Full Version : Dancing With The Stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

danceronice
03-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I completely disagree. From what I know about the Hughs (and Mark, too), they didn't want to be dancers only (especially competitive dancers only), they want to be entertainers -- get into media, movies, music, theater, etc. That's what Tristan wanted to do even more since he said he hated the competitive dance world. Derek and Mark didn't and I think they have titles to prove it. Dancers have a lot of venues to show off their skills and live their dreams. And not every dancer dreams of becoming a principal dancer at Bolshoi or winning every competition until they can compete no more and then teaching for the rest of their lives.

Great in ballroom. Entertainment's okay if you've got the looks, but if they had any hope in hell of being top six in their style they'd be doing it. There's a reason you don't see Arunas and Katusha or Riccardo and Yulia doing more than popping in to do a guest shot.

Though if they want to be in entertainment, better they do it now while they have the looks--that's why Louis threw himself into DWTS but he's a bit old for stardom. OTOH, he's a world champion and can always fall back on that.

cruisin
03-02-2012, 11:10 PM
It is a matter of opinion. I cannot stand his style of choreography and find it to be among the emptiest of the pros. Don't even get me started on Mark.

As a former dancer, I find that I watch the show more critically, but I've never been a fan of the gimmicks and tricks that Hough and Ballas seem to think will distract the audience and the judges. I much prefer a more simplistic and graceful style to their style. However, I realize that the judges and seemingly the rest of the audience disagrees and continues to applaud and reward back flips and other such movements. While other dancers have to hide the flaws of their partners, Derek has no such excuse.

I'm not a fan of tricks. I'm looking at their movement and feet.

ArtisticFan
03-03-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm not a fan of tricks. I'm looking at their movement and feet.

And in that area I find them both lacki˝g.

kwanfan1818
03-03-2012, 01:12 AM
I still miss Nick Kosovich's feet.

pixie cut
03-03-2012, 11:51 PM
While I admit I rolled my eyes when I saw who Derek was partnering, I do want to toss out the idea that perhaps certain celebrities are requesting him. If the producers want a particular celebrity, perhaps they're only accommodating the celebrity request for Derek. Just a thought.

danceronice
03-04-2012, 12:00 AM
While I admit I rolled my eyes when I saw who Derek was partnering, I do want to toss out the idea that perhaps certain celebrities are requesting him. If the producers want a particular celebrity, perhaps they're only accommodating the celebrity request for Derek. Just a thought.

Though it's SUPPOSED to be a surprise. Plus, while I can see maybe Ricki Lake, they wanted a Pu**ycat doll THAT badly?

In any case, who knows? Maybe this one will be pretty but completely suck.

I don't think either of them has bad feet, btw, especially not Mark. I think they should more often put on the Cuban heels and do the dance as it's supposed to be done rather than attempt to make it "creative." Especially not if Mark's going to try and do that by dressing his partner up as a creepy circus doll. Did they learn nothing from Jonathan and Marie's doll dance?

PeterG
03-04-2012, 12:29 AM
I heartily agree that you can not compare Derek to Gene Kelly. :D

Yes, Derek is waaaaaay cuter.

I still miss Nick Kosovich's feet.

Please. Keep your fetishes to yourself.

:P

:D

pixie cut
03-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Though it's SUPPOSED to be a surprise. Plus, while I can see maybe Ricki Lake, they wanted a Pu**ycat doll THAT badly?

In any case, who knows? Maybe this one will be pretty but completely suck.

I think they wanted Scherzinger badly because she'd attract a younger demographic with her supposed "fan base."

Maybe this one will suck, but she'll sure look pretty doing it.

Sassafras
03-04-2012, 02:28 AM
I look forward to seeing "stars" with a good attitude even if they have no natural ability. There have been some not-so-good dancing stars on (like Carson Kressley) that I loved to watch. And who would have thought I would actually end up liking Jerry Springer? Sure, there was no way he was going to win, but he gave it a good try. Heck even Tom Delay with two left feet put effort in and seemed to enjoy himself. And I was very impressed with the progress that Kelly Osbourne and Bristol Palin made during their stints because they actually made the effort to learn and improve and didn't constantly whine about it. Unlike some others who have the natural ability and, well you probably know where I'm going with that line of thought.

danceronice
03-04-2012, 05:12 AM
I look forward to seeing "stars" with a good attitude even if they have no natural ability. There have been some not-so-good dancing stars on (like Carson Kressley) that I loved to watch. And who would have thought I would actually end up liking Jerry Springer? Sure, there was no way he was going to win, but he gave it a good try. Heck even Tom Delay with two left feet put effort in and seemed to enjoy himself. And I was very impressed with the progress that Kelly Osbourne and Bristol Palin made during their stints because they actually made the effort to learn and improve and didn't constantly whine about it. Unlike some others who have the natural ability and, well you probably know where I'm going with that line of thought.

I really upped my respect for Mark watching him work with Bristol--he understood he was working with a total beginner, he really taught her solid technique, and he knew when to push her and when to work within her comfort zone. There have been pros who've gotten 'two left feet' types before who either danced around them or tried to shove them into things they really weren't comfortable with and gotten frustrated, but Mark taught her like a teacher.

And really, the whole "not great but goes with it" appeal is kind of why I *honestly* do think William Shatner would be a good choice. He's shown before he's capable of poking fun at himself, and that's a component I think some 'stars' lack that makes them really annoying. If you can't laugh at yourself this is not the show for you.

Case in point of laughing at oneself: Kenny Mayne. The self-proclaimed Worst Dancer Ever on DWTS. And now half the reason I keep watching is KNOWING that DanceCenter is coming.

my little pony
03-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I look forward to seeing "stars" with a good attitude even if they have no natural ability.

me too, i like seeing how far they can come

seeing someone with some sort of dance ability / background learn new choreo isnt interesting to me

Sassafras
03-04-2012, 11:07 PM
And really, the whole "not great but goes with it" appeal is kind of why I *honestly* do think William Shatner would be a good choice. He's shown before he's capable of poking fun at himself, and that's a component I think some 'stars' lack that makes them really annoying. If you can't laugh at yourself this is not the show for you.

ITA Shatner would be a lot of fun

Wyliefan
03-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Yes, Derek is waaaaaay cuter.

:lol: In what universe? Gene was a TOTAL stud. :swoon:

jkl
03-10-2012, 03:35 AM
We all know that Dancing with the Stars is not about talent but who has the strongest fan base. Looking at this years "stars" who do you think is the first to go? I see the weakest fan bases belonging to Katherine Jenkins and Jack Wagner. Of course last season I had never heard of JR Martinez but loved him and voted like crazy for him:lol:

shan
03-10-2012, 03:38 AM
I don't know, the soap stars seem to have quite a following...