PDA

View Full Version : Dancing With The Stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

danceronice
03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I just saw Mr. Levy in a J-lo video linked a ballroom blog.

Um...I don't care if he can dance, really, and I retract in advance any complaints about male dancers removing their shirts provided he does as well. He can just stand there for all I care.

Grannyfan
03-01-2012, 09:47 PM
William Levy is a lovely looking man. Wow.

When I first saw the names on the list I thought this was the man from all those Christopher Guest movies, so I was a bit puzzled by your comment. :)
Have since learned better. I'm so out of touch.

kwanfan1818
03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Eugene Levy would make an interesting contestant on DWTS, too.

Icetalavista
03-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Louis Van Amstel is headlining his own ballroom show. It comes to Mpls this Friday but sadly I have to miss it. :fragile: he looks:hat1: in the poster for it.

Icetalavista
03-02-2012, 12:52 AM
...like he ran around the ring with in Best in Show. :lol:

Twizzler
03-02-2012, 01:55 AM
OMG YES YES YES!!! William Levy!!!!!!!!!!! He's HOT :grope:

But does he still have a shaved head? He's even hotter when he had his great hair.

I had no idea who he was so I googled him. :grope: Yummy!!!

nubka
03-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Maybe next time, they will give Tristan a younger partner. Nancy Grace & Gladys Knight aren't exactly spring chickens... :shuffle:

danceronice
03-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Maybe next time, they will give Tristan a younger partner. Nancy Grace & Gladys Knight aren't exactly spring chickens... :shuffle:

Given how long Tony was stuck with the AARP crowd I suspect Tristan's paying his dues. (Now if only they'd do the same for Derek...)

cruisin
03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't understand why so many posters dislike Derek so much. He is a spectacular dancer, whether or not you like his personality. I think that he and Mark are probably the most talented male dancers (especially Mark) and choreographers. Would I want to have lunch with Derek? No, but I don't dislike him.

Sparks
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I think the issue with Deerek is that he is never given a challenging partner...like Tony or Louis used to get.

danceronice
03-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I think the issue with Deerek is that he is never given a challenging partner...like Tony or Louis used to get.

This is the biggest thing. The closest thing Derek's been given to a "difficult" or "older" partner was Ricki. More often, he's given attractive younger women and frequently with dance experience. Meanwhile, nearly everyone else who's been there more than a season has been handed a total stinker. And after Cheryl and Julianne had multiple wins, they were both given complete train wrecks. Derek can apparently do no wrong, and when you have people like Tony, Louis, Anna, Jonathan, Maks, etc. all get the odd stinker and he never does, it gets off putting. He at least seems to have reined in the pouting nad sulking when the judging doesn't go his way.

And he's good, but he's overhyped for his actual ability (if he were GREAT, of course, at his age he wouldn't be on this show.) He and Mark are too gimmicky (YES WE KNOW YOU CAN DO A BACKFLIP.) I'm sure they CAN be really good with real dancing (they're trained by Corky and Shirley, FFS) but they go way too far in trying to be 'clever' on DWTS.

WindSpirit
03-02-2012, 08:07 PM
And he's good, but he's overhyped for his actual ability (if he were GREAT, of course, at his age he wouldn't be on this show.) I completely disagree. From what I know about the Hughs (and Mark, too), they didn't want to be dancers only (especially competitive dancers only), they want to be entertainers -- get into media, movies, music, theater, etc. That's what Tristan wanted to do even more since he said he hated the competitive dance world. Derek and Mark didn't and I think they have titles to prove it. Dancers have a lot of venues to show off their skills and live their dreams. And not every dancer dreams of becoming a principal dancer at Bolshoi or winning every competition until they can compete no more and then teaching for the rest of their lives.

Gene Kelly didn't start dancing until he was 15, was self-thought and his career was in the movies. Was he overhyped, too?

BTW, I am not comparing Derek to Gene Kelly. While I think Derek's a great dancer, Gene Kelly was one of a kind.

skatingfan5
03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Gene Kelly didn't start dancing until he was 15, was self-thought and his career was in the movies. Was he overhyped, too? No, imo Gene Kelly wasn't "overhyped" during his career ... but you are doing a bit of overhyping/exaggerating here. :shuffle: He was not self-taught (if I'm interpreting "self thought" correctly). Kelly actually started dance lessons at a local studio (along with his older brother) at age eight -- but didn't continue very long because of being taunted for that. He returned to dance lessons at age 15.
BTW, I am not comparing Derek to Gene Kelly. While I think Derek's a great dancer, Gene Kelly was one of a kind.I heartily agree that you can not compare Derek to Gene Kelly. :D

ArtisticFan
03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't understand why so many posters dislike Derek so much. He is a spectacular dancer, whether or not you like his personality. I think that he and Mark are probably the most talented male dancers (especially Mark) and choreographers. Would I want to have lunch with Derek? No, but I don't dislike him.

It is a matter of opinion. I cannot stand his style of choreography and find it to be among the emptiest of the pros. Don't even get me started on Mark.

As a former dancer, I find that I watch the show more critically, but I've never been a fan of the gimmicks and tricks that Hough and Ballas seem to think will distract the audience and the judges. I much prefer a more simplistic and graceful style to their style. However, I realize that the judges and seemingly the rest of the audience disagrees and continues to applaud and reward back flips and other such movements. While other dancers have to hide the flaws of their partners, Derek has no such excuse.

WindSpirit
03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
No, imo Gene Kelly wasn't "overhyped" during his career ... but you are doing a bit of overhyping/exaggerating here. :shuffle: He was not self-taught (if I'm interpreting "self thought" correctly). Kelly actually started dance lessons at a local studio (along with his older brother) at age eight -- but didn't continue very long because of being taunted for that. He returned to dance lessons at age 15. I meant to say "mostly self-taught", but it doesn't matter. Either way it doesn't have any bearing on the point I was making (Gene Kelly's career was in the movies)