PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Dwellers please respond

Peaches LaTour
02-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I know there is an orange line transit system from Midway Airport to downtown Chicago and a blue line transit system from O'Hare to downtown Chicago.

I am interested in obtaining any information about these lines - do either of them stop in the vicinity of the Ritz Carlton Hotel near Chestnut and Pearson?

How much does the train cost and is it safe to ride?

Thanks!

Aaron W
02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Neither of these two lines stop near the Ritz Carlton; however the Chicago Avenue stop on the red line is approximately 4 blocks from the hotel (just walk 3 blocks east from the subway to Michigan Ave, turn left and head 1 block north to Chestnut). Transfers between lines in Chicago are free. If you're on the orange line, you can take it to the Roosevelt station. Once there, just follow the signs to the red line platform and hop on a train heading in the direction of Howard Street. You'll be transferring from the elevated Orange line station to the subway Red line station. There are elevators available, as well as escalators, to help make the transfer easier. In this photo from the Roosevelt station, you can see the stairs (and glass encased elevator shaft on the far left) used for transferring between the elevated & subway stations at Roosevelt. http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/StateSubway/roosevelt-TransferTunnel06.jpg

If you're on the blue line, you can transfer to the red line at the Jackson station. There's an underground passageway connecting both lines (they're one block from each other, so the underground passage essentially involves walking a distance of one block). Once you're on the red line platform, just board a train in the direction of Howard Street. Both the blue and red line stations include elevators, but I'm not sure whether there are elevators available to take people down from the platform to the underground passageway and back up to the platform at the other station. If there aren't, that might be something to consider if you'll have heavy luggage. In this photo from the Jackson Blue line station, you can see the stairs that lead down to the underground passageway to the Red line. http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/MilwaukeeDearbornSubway/jackson07.jpg

The cost for the Chicago L is $2.25 per ride. It's a flat fare rather than a distance based fare. As for safety, you should be fine. I lived in Chicago for 2.5 years and relied on the CTA to get around since I didn't own a car. I never had any safety problems. As with any public transit system, it's best to hold on tightly to anything of value when the doors are open. From time to time, someone might try to snatch a purse, iPhone, etc. and run out the doors as they're closing. I've never witnessed it happening, but other than that, there's not much to worry about.

Kruss
02-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Definitely keep your personal items such as iPhones, iPads, etc., put away. Lately there have been grab-and-run thefts taking place on the L for these items, but other than that you should be okay. Just keep them out of sight. :)

ballettmaus
02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Both the blue and red line stations include elevators, but I'm not sure whether there are elevators available to take people down from the platform to the underground passageway and back up to the platform at the other station.

There aren't. Not a lot of stairs but still stairs.
Also, the red line is crowded like hell all afternoon long into early evening into the direction of Howard Street. Heavy luggage would not be practical at all at this time of day.

Spinner
02-23-2012, 03:32 AM
What Aaron said. And when you get here give me a buzz, we can get coffee! :)

Peaches LaTour
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all your replies!

Spinner, I will contact you if I do decided to take this trip. We met years ago at Nationals in Los Angeles. It would be fun to see you again!

Peaches LaTour
03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
When I asked about public transportation from either O'Hare or Midway airports into downtown Chicago (the Ritz Carlton Hotel area) I got a great response. :cool:

My understanding is this: from O'Hare take the blue line to Jackson & red line (towards Howard) to the Chicago Ave stop and from Midway take the orange line to Roosevelt Station & the red line (towards Howard) to the Chicago Ave stop.

The question I forgot to ask in my original post :eek: is this: can I simply reverse this route to return to either O'Hare or Midway??? And, if so, will the platforms be clearly marked towards either airport?

Thanks.

Spinner
03-21-2012, 10:26 PM
The question I forgot to ask in my original post :eek: is this: can I simply reverse this route to return to either O'Hare or Midway??? And, if so, will the platforms be clearly marked towards either airport?

Thanks.

Pretty much. The CTA is super easy to navigate. Many platforms are in between trains--one side for one direction, the other for the opposite direction. And all are clearly marked.

ballettmaus
03-22-2012, 04:27 AM
And don't get confused by what the train says! The direction the platform states is the one it goes to.
When I first came to Chicago I got on the wrong train because the train was marked wrongly.

Spinner
03-22-2012, 04:42 AM
And don't get confused by what the train says! The direction the platform states is the one it goes to.
When I first came to Chicago I got on the wrong train because the train was marked wrongly.

This happens so rarely. But yes, just follow the platform and you'll be fine. If you're ever not sure, just ask someone else on the platform. We Chicagoans are a nice, helpful people. ;)

Rukia
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Many moons ago I spent a week in Chicago, and I only used public transportation. It is incredibly easy to use. I even drug a suitcase behind me to and from O'Hare. If you can avoid that though, I would. It was kind of a pain, but it is possible. I loved their transit system and city, and I had a fabulous time there.

Aaron W
03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Pretty much. The CTA is super easy to navigate. Many platforms are in between trains--one side for one direction, the other for the opposite direction. And all are clearly marked.

Exactly, the reverse can be done and both the blue & orange lines will say either O'Hare or Midway since those two airports are the end of both lines. A couple extra notes. When taking the red line to Jackson or Roosevelt, you'll be boarding a red line train toward 95th. And at the Chicago Avenue red line station, the platforms are located on opposite sides, so you'll want to make sure you walk down the correct staircase. You won't be able to simply cross the platform from one side to the other.

ballettmaus
03-23-2012, 02:32 AM
I just saw today that here is an elevator that connects the blue and the red line (if you're coming from O'Hare). It goes up instead of down and you have to go through the barriers again but apparently it's still a free transfer and no amount will be deducted from the farecard.

dinakt
03-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Aother vote that it's safe. I've taken the orange line to Midway dozens of times. From downtown, it is often faster than the cab, especially during the rush hour ( you just need to plan some extra time for walking from the station to the actual airport, it is very safe but takes 5- 10 minutes). Be ready to stand during the rush hour, but it's a great way to get to Midway.

Peaches LaTour
03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks again, everybody for your help! :D

The main reason why I am worrying this adventure to death is that I will be traveling alone for a medical procedure in Chicago and I know I won't be feeling very well when I leave that appointment. Therefore, I want to be as sure as I possibly can be, beforehand, that I know what to expect and can get myself to and from the airport with the least amount of confusion. :rolleyes:

Wish I had alot to time to spend in Chicago - it has been years since my last visit and I know it is an exciting place.

Thanks, again!

Oh, and stay tuned just in case I think of more questions - :lol: