PDA

View Full Version : What are the options for Ksenia Makarova ?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

kwanfan1818
02-26-2012, 05:46 AM
I was hoping that when she moved to Russia, she would get stronger instead of regressing :( It sounded like she was very happy living with or near her grandparents and liked living and training in Russia.

victoriaheidi
02-26-2012, 05:47 AM
I am assuming that she will improve. That's not so unrealistic, is it? She is only 19.

Not at all unrealistic. But there are so many countries where she could be the guaranteed "it" girl (like the former USSR countries). Why come here and risk not making the team?

Marco
02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Not at all unrealistic. But there are so many countries where she could be the guaranteed "it" girl (like the former USSR countries). Why come here and risk not making the team?

She was just unlucky. During 2007, Russia was going through a major slump in the ladies discipline after Slutskaya and Sokolova retired, whereas Meissner was world champion and skating strong and then there was Zhang and Nagasu rocking Juniors and looking like they were ready to take the world by storm. At that time, it probably seemed right to choose Russia instead of US.

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Makarova has competed at one Olympics and 2 Worlds for Russia -- how is that "unlucky"? IMO, she made the right choice to compete for Russia and should not have any regrets.

smarts1
02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
^ Agree with Sylvia. She has had the chance to compete at the Olympics and Worlds, both of which are competitions some skaters can only dream of.

Either way, she has a chance nowhere in the near future (unless the Russian babies all tank). I actually think that she might have a better chance in Russia based on the PCS she received for that awful LP this Russian Nationals, even if the field is slightly weaker in the US. PCS inflation is nowhere as bad in the US as it is in other coutries.

Coco
02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
She and Leonova were the first women to land 10 triples at the Olympics. Based on skate order, I believe she was the first woman to do this.

That's something to be proud of.

falling_dance
02-26-2012, 03:46 PM
She and Leonova were the first women to land 10 triples at the Olympics. Based on skate order, I believe she was the first woman to do this.

That's something to be proud of.

Looking at the protocols for each (http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf) phase (http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf), I see no more than nine for either skater. Of course, a top ten finish with that much jump content (plus COP spins, spirals, and steps) is a big accomplishment.

Marco
02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Makarova has competed at one Olympics and 2 Worlds for Russia -- how is that "unlucky"? IMO, she made the right choice to compete for Russia and should not have any regrets.

Exactly. It was the right decision then, but she was 'unlucky' that about 200 ultra-talented Russian girls suddenly appeared out of nowhere circa 2009-2010 which made her prospects for Sochi that much worse.

In most other countries except US, Japan and Russia she can be a National Champion and go to Worlds for like 12 consecutive seasons (think McCorkell :rofl:).

kwanfan1818
02-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Too bad she can't skate for George: Gedevanishvilli keeps earning second spots that no one uses.

Coco
02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Looking at the protocols for each (http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf) phase (http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf), I see no more than nine for either skater. Of course, a top ten finish with that much jump content (plus COP spins, spirals, and steps) is a big accomplishment.

Bummer - you are right, thanks for pointing that out.

So no lady has landed 10 triples at an Olympic games, I guess.

Vash01
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Too bad she can't skate for George: Gedevanishvilli keeps earning second spots that no one uses.

Can she get Georgia citizenship in the future?

judgejudy27
02-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Yeah that would be her best option if she could ever do it. She is also capable of competing vs Gedevanishvilli, they could get a nice little rivalry going and push each other.

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Can she get Georgia citizenship in the future?
Considering that Russian - Georgian political relations have been strained since 2008... probably not a good idea.

SamuraiK
02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't say that Cupcake was ignored by the RF between 98 and 02. She failed to make the national podium in those years (finishing 4-6) but she still got 18 international assignments (mostly GP events) and brought home 11 medals. I think the RF started to write her off in 01, when she bombed SA and finished 4th at CoR and RN. She got one GP in 02 (NHK, 6th place) and that might have been it for Sokolova had she not defeated an ailing Slutskaya at the 03 Russian Nats. She won some medals here and there after that, but after bombing in Torino, then losing Russian Nats to Doronina and bombing at Euros and Worlds in 07, I think Piseev retired her.

"Ignored" or not, the rest of your post is exactly my point Makarova can still hang in there for a few years and maybe get back on track once some of the wonderbabies tank and dissaper (odss are that at least one of them will do that :()

Vash01
02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Considering that Russian - Georgia political relations have been strained since 2008... probably not a good idea.

In that case Russia-friendly countries like Ukraine and Belarus may be good choices for her, and they are not that far- distancewise- from Russia. I heard it's easy to get citizenship for Azerbajian (sp?) but it may be a little far away from home for her. I still think she can try for the USA spot, since there could be 3 spots as early as next year, although she will have to improve her jumps a great deal to make the team.