PDA

View Full Version : World Figure Skating Hall of Fame

Pages : [1] 2

sk9tingfan
02-22-2012, 05:38 PM
IceNetwork has posted the current nominees:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120222&content_id=26794948&vkey=ice_news

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor - Ladies

•Denise Biellmann
•Sjoukje Dijkstra
•Michelle Kwan

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor - Men

•Todd Eldredge
•Tim Wood

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor - Pairs

•Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner
•Artur Dmitriev & Natalia Mishkutenok & Oksana Kazakova

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor - Ice Dancing

•Natalia Bestemianova & Andrei Bukin
•Doreen Denney
CATEGORY B: Outstanding Coach

None

CATEGORY C: Outstanding Contributor (non-athletic)

•Hans Rudi Mauch ("Mr. Frack")
•Lori Nichol
CATEGORY D: Outstanding Contributor (creative impact)

•Viktor Balck
•Ludowika Eilers & Walter Jakobsson

victoriaheidi
02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I almost posted this. :) I couldn't get over the IN article...not that I don't agree that Kwan has a great chance, but come on-is calling it a "virtual certainty" politically sound?

Is there a limit to the number of inductees?

sk9tingfan
02-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Here's what I could find out.

All nominees on the ballot have met criteria established by the Nominating Committee. Those elected into the Class of 2012 will be announced March 13 on Icenetwork.com

Based on prior inductees, there do not appear to be a set number per year

Here's the Wikipedia article link that discusses it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Hall_of_Fame

Since the article does not have a specific byline and is generically coming from IceNetwork, I don't know where this opinion is truly coming from

attyfan
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Pity that Irina wasn't nominated ... I was hoping that she and Michelle would be inducted together. If Kwan doesn't get in this year, can she be nominated again?

PDilemma
02-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Pity that Irina wasn't nominated ... I was hoping that she and Michelle would be inducted together. If Kwan doesn't get in this year, can she be nominated again?

Since Michelle last competed in 2005 and Irina in 2006, Irina may not be eligible for another year?

Most athletic HoF's have a qualification of x number of years since retirement/last competing.

kwanette
02-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Since Michelle last competed in 2005 and Irina in 2006, Irina may not be eligible for another year?

Most athletic HoF's have a qualification of x number of years since retirement/last competing.

I think MK's last competition is considered 06 since she was named to the OLY team..I could be wrong, tho.

barbk
02-23-2012, 01:31 AM
"Artur Dmitriev & Natalia Mishkutenok & Oksana Kazakova" -- That will be a little funny to see Artur flanked by the two ladies. Personally, I'm not sure Kazakova really merits the status; Mishkutenok was in my mind quite a bit more influential over a much longer period.

berthesghost
02-23-2012, 02:12 AM
I think MK's last compettion is consodered 06 since she was named to the OLY team..I could be wrong, tho.You're right.

AJ Skatefan
02-23-2012, 06:04 AM
You're right.

I think you're right too, since she actually showed up and practiced on olympic ice.

skateboy
02-23-2012, 06:32 AM
For the ladies, I'd be surprised if Biellmann gets it, much as I like her.

Kwan has 5 world titles and an Olympic silver & bronze; Dijkstra has 3 world titles and and Olympic gold & silver. They're both deserving, but I wonder if Dijkstra might have the edge right now, due to her age. Hard to say.

berthesghost
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
For the ladies, I'd be surprised if Biellmann gets it, much as I like her.

Kwan has 5 world titles and an Olympic silver & bronze; Dijkstra has 3 world titles and and Olympic gold & silver. They're both deserving, but I wonder if Dijkstra might have the edge right now, due to her age. Hard to say.There is no IMO rhyme or reason to the hof. :lol:

I can see ladies like Henie and Witt as no brainers, but then..... Jeanette altweg is a shoe in but anet poetzch, trioxide scuba and dijkstra are not. :confused: what does altweg have that the other 3 lack? Friends?

I agree that denise seems like a long shot, but heck, if under hill and martini can get in, anyone can! :lol:

Frau Muller
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Denise all the way! She's had the longest career and dedication to the sport, as both an amateur and pro competitor.

Visaliakid
02-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Sonia Bianchetti being blackballed from World Figure Skating Hall of Fame? You judge!

NOTICE TO FIGURE SKATING COMMUNITY

Blazing Blades received the following documents today that suggest efforts to BLACKBALL Sonia Bianchetti from nomination and selection for voting on membership in the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame.

Read Documents (http://kwantifiable.xanga.com/759310479/sonia-bianchetti-being-blackballed-from-world-figure-skating-hall-of-fame-you-judge/)

overedge
02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
CATEGORY C: Outstanding Contributor (non-athletic)
•Hans Rudi Mauch ("Mr. Frack")
•Lori Nichol

I get that this is the category for people who contributed to the sport other than through being competitive skaters, but "non-athletic"? Both of these people had, or have, athletic skill to be able to do what they do so well. This category should probably have a different name.

manhn
02-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Are there no coaches who could qualify? Have all the good coaches been inducted?