PDA

View Full Version : Meditation vs Love story at SLC Olympics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

briancoogaert
03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I thought that Elena & Anton should have won Worlds in 01' (but none of my friends did).
I agree.

victoriajh
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
i can finally watch these 2 and not get alll wrapped up in it all!!
i think that s/p lift ad spit twist were far better than b/s the crowd was sure behind them!
i just thoguht there was a confidence with s/p that was missing with b/s so while they had a more difficult program s/p nailed theirs really what else could they have done?

PashaFan
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
i can finally watch these 2 and not get alll wrapped up in it all!!
i think that s/p lift ad spit twist were far better than b/s the crowd was sure behind them!
i just thoguht there was a confidence with s/p that was missing with b/s so while they had a more difficult program s/p nailed theirs really what else could they have done?

You have to remember that Elena & Anton were very close to winning the Gold medal in Nagano. But they made errors. And like Michelle Kwan, I think the mental scarrs of four years before were still there.
They could not skate with the same freedom that Jamie & David did.
Elena & Anton saw SLC as their last chance. Jamie & David would have gone another four years if they had to.
Like you, I can now watch these two couples skate & not get so emotional over what happened but I still have an uneasy feeling over the pro-North American press & how they went about the situation. I really felt sorry for Elena & Anton. I remember watching them on CNN. They looked shell-shocked over the whole thing.

Zemgirl
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
In fact I miss that era of pairs. IMO the current top pairs just don't quite compare to S/P, B/S and S/Z.
I think today's pairs have to do certain things differently, making this rather an apple-orange comparison. IMO, the top teams at the moment are very good, and S/S at least have skated several unique, memorable programs. I think K/S and P/T have had some good ones, too. I can't get behind what V/T are doing at the moment.

It's true that there is no top classic Russian team like B/S, but I don't think S/P were doing anything super-special compared to today's pairs. Also, it's worth remembering that S/Z circa 2002 were more of a tech-first pair, with their best performances still in the future.

victoriajh
03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
You have to remember that Elena & Anton were very close to winning the Gold medal in Nagano. But they made errors. And like Michelle Kwan, I think the mental scarrs of four years before were still there.
They could not skate with the same freedom that Jamie & David did.
Elena & Anton saw SLC as their last chance. Jamie & David would have gone another four years if they had to.
Like you, I can now watch these two couples skate & not get so emotional over what happened but I still have an uneasy feeling over the pro-North American press & how they went about the situation. I really felt sorry for Elena & Anton. I remember watching them on CNN. They looked shell-shocked over the whole thing.

true
I watched the initial link which was the Russian feed for s/p and the commentators were SO happy when they realized b/s won! so funny as so different than the scott sandra one- I know find it funny to listen to - anyone have alink for that one?

martyross
03-04-2012, 11:17 PM
true
I watched the initial link which was the Russian feed for s/p and the commentators were SO happy when they realized b/s won! so funny as so different than the scott sandra one- I know find it funny to listen to - anyone have alink for that one?
NBC version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRWHwt91oj0
i have one word for Hamilton and Bazic at this particular event: blah! :blah:

i think you can hear the same russian lady's scream at 8:15 :D ahah!

arakwafan2006
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
. I also much preferred the fitted off-white costumes to the billowy blue/red ones at the O's.

When you talk about ugly Olympic costumes, these had to be amongst the worst. Its odd because i actually like their looks void this one.

I was happy that the Russians won but not with the controversy. I think that this was a Moskvina pair that was truly elite and in the same vein as work she's done in the past. I wish that there were a team under her training that were as fabulous as B&S but it looks like Moskvina is taking on less and less, much like Tarasova these day's. Hopefully though, an amazing pair will train with her in the near future. It would be nice to see her do to a pair what John Nicks did for Ashley. I have a soft spot for the old coaches who have mastered their craft. Done rambling...:rolleyes: