PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

floskate
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Oops didn't realise another one hadn't been started. Carry on......:)

OnyxRose81
02-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Woga Classic was yesterday. Bross competed and even though she fell on UB and BB, no one thought she would be back on beam and that far along so I count that as a win. The fall on UB I think was just a fluke because usually Valeri is right next to the gymnast if he thinks she's goingto fall but he wasn't. That bb dismount however...they need to start training something else. She hasn't trained any other dismount in years so I don't know if that's even feasible at this point. It's a shame because reports diary that she's been overrotating them in practice. Hopefully she gets selected for Pac Rims or Jesolo and rocks it there.

Jimena
02-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm catching up. I haven't really followed the sport since Beijing :shuffle: and I have a few questions:

What info is out there about Aliya Mustafina? Will she be ready for London? Is she expected to be a contender for the all-around? I love her combination of power, elegance and attitude, though I do wish she had better form in some of her moves (Amanar, for example). I really want her to do well.

Whatever happened to Yang Yilin? She wasn't part of the Chinese team in 2011, was she? I know she's grown a lot.

How's Komova handling her growth? Has it been problematic? I know she wasn't particularly consistent in the 2011 WC. I remember loving her mother in 1985 during the Goodwill Games when I was a child, and I was so excited when I found out Komova was her daughter.

The US team looks great, but I do wish coaches included more dance and ballet in the training. There's a whole lot of power in that team. Grace and fluidity? Not so much.

millyskate
02-20-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm catching up. I haven't really followed the sport since Beijing :shuffle: and I have a few questions:

What info is out there about Aliya Mustafina? Will she be ready for London? Is she expected to be a contender for the all-around? I love her combination of power, elegance and attitude, though I do wish she had better form in some of her moves (Amanar, for example). I really want her to do well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awx-jbFJmk8 Not quite ready yet it seems...

Domshabfan
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awx-jbFJmk8 Not quite ready yet it seems...
well her UB is really great, the difficulty is now unto 7.0, watch this as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0TaJskrrs&feature=related

Grishina has upped her D score to 6.9 on bars. Overall Bars is getting stronger and stronger Musty 7.0, Grishina 6.9 Komova 6.7 Nabs 6.6. Kristina Goryunova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B75H24LioFA)'s also has a good beam set.

BigB08822
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I can't believe that recent routine by Musty is up to a 7.0 I know the pak-shap 1/2 combo is way difficult but other than that she does a couple of pirhouetting skills and then dismounts. Seriously? She touches the low bar for all of half a second. It doesn't seem harder than someones routine with a couple of releases and actual low bar work. Her cast handstands were short, too, but she can work on that.

ETA: I rewatched it and the video begins with her already on the high bar. Surely they began filming after she already did something. That is the shortest routine I have ever seen and I don't think she would even have all the skills she needs if I am counting correctly.

Ok, now I see the video description says it was "not competition routine, not judged" so it was either not filmed completely or she did this this part of the routine as a run through or a little of both. Phew, I was about to get really pissed at this COP. lol

Domshabfan
02-21-2012, 01:29 AM
I can't believe that recent routine by Musty is up to a 7.0 I know the pak-shap 1/2 combo is way difficult but other than that she does a couple of pirhouetting skills and then dismounts. Seriously? She touches the low bar for all of half a second. It doesn't seem harder than someones routine with a couple of releases and actual low bar work. Her cast handstands were short, too, but she can work on that.

ETA: I rewatched it and the video begins with her already on the high bar. Surely they began filming after she already did something. That is the shortest routine I have ever seen and I don't think she would even have all the skills she needs if I am counting correctly.

Ok, now I see the video description says it was "not competition routine, not judged" so it was either not filmed completely or she did this this part of the routine as a run through or a little of both. Phew, I was about to get really pissed at this COP. lol
She did the full routine and Recording wasn't complete... Her whole routine is connected and u believe connection value for the routine is 0.9, I think she will upgrade further.

Scintillation
02-21-2012, 05:52 AM
That Pak-stalder-Khorkina combo was BADASS. I think she's my favorite UB worker this quad.

isamelia
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Sorry I don't know how to post links, but there is an article on the Karolyi Ranch and USA Gymnastics' investment in it in today's edition.

Buzz
02-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Sorry I don't know how to post links, but there is an article on the Karolyi Ranch and USA Gymnastics' investment in it in today's edition.

Is this the article you were talking about?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2012-02-20/Karolyis-build-haven-for-American-gymnasts/53182528/1

isamelia
02-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes--Thank you, Buzz!

Karpenko
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm getting the feeling more and more as the year goes on that this is going to be one helluva year for gymnastics. A 1996, 1988, 1976 type of year. We have Komova, Mustafina, Grishina, Afanasyeva, Laruen Mitchell, Murakami, Chusovitina, Izbasa, Ponor, Sui Lu, Cheng Fei, Yao Jinnan, Nastia Liukin, Jordyn Wieber, McKayla Maroney, a couple of other unknown American team members, Beth Tweddle, some very promising Canadian(Victoria Moors, Peng Peng Lee), Italian, and Brazilian routines (Daiane Dos Santos, Jade Barbosa) - when the entire field is great in many ways, it's kind of hard to have a bad Olympics. I haven't enjoyed an entire field of gymnasts (not just one or two here or there) this much since 2000 in Sydney - I just hope the competition ends up more like 1988, 1992, or 1996 (and Chusovitina has competed in 3 of those :lol:). It's cool to think we'll have so many potential returning Olympians this time too, that automatically adds another level of excitement to the competition. I've already caught the Olympic bug :cheer:

Rob
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
And we will get a look at Iordache at American Cup next weekend. Moors has been added there too.

Karpenko
02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah - and her! Excited to see the American Cup coming up so soon, really wish we could see some new faces but it will be exciting to see how Iordache looks (and the Americans). She's basically one of their only shots at a medal in London.

Scintillation
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Every Olympic year I turn in to a 6 year old and act like it's a countdown to Christmas. I think when I get in to my 70s they're going to have to start sedating me because my heart won't be able to take it anymore.
I agree though, the field this year is shaping up to be all kinds of super awesome. I might be physically vibrating with excitement when August rolls around.

Oh I need to see if they'll be broadcasting the American Cup on NBC.