PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Roles You Will NEVER Forget

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

AshleyN
02-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm currently making my way through Breaking Bad (almost finished Season 3) and Aaron Paul is every bit as amazing as I had heard. He switches from hilarious to heartbreaking on a dime and makes it look so easy.

Speaking of Imelda Stauton, I know some people didn't like her in this but I thought her performance as Dolores Umbridge in HP5 totally stole the whole film. In that particular film, Maggie Smith also stole a great scene when the two squared off.Whaaaaaaaaaaaat???:eek:

Along with Kenneth Branagh as Lockhart, she's probably the most spot on casting in the entire series for me, in terms of matching up with how I imagined the characters when I read the books. Utter perfection.

Wyliefan
02-26-2012, 10:55 PM
That last is one of my favorite lines in any movie EVER. To quote Virginia Grey from the same film, "Holy mackerel, what a line!" There were a lot of great lines in that movie. "Oh, my dear, your skin makes the Rocky Mountains look like chiffon velvet!" :lol:

"Yippi-ki-yay, Crystal!" :D

pollyanna
02-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Lesley Ann Warren as Norma Cassady in Victor/Victoria

And then, before you know it, you are impudent!...................What's with the soap? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNXxMBBxwBo)

Cyn
02-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Last night/Early this morning, I did a list of memorable supporting actors in Comedies. This time (if I can stay awake, that is, as I still haven't been able to sleep :wall: ), it's Dramas....

- Noah Wyle as Dr. John Carter on E.R. (in the early seasons, before he became a Lead Actor)
- Johnny Depp as Tom Hanson on 21 Jump Street
- Jimmy Smits as Detective Bobby Simone on NYPD Blue
- John Corbett as Christ Stevens on Northern Exposure
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Higgins on Magnum, P.I.
- Edward James as Lt. Martin Castillo Olmos on Miami Vice
- Larry Drake as Benny Stulwicz on L.A. Law
- Dean Stockwell as Al Calavicci on Quantum Leap
- Jimmy Smits as Victor Sifuentes on L.A. Law
- Chad Lowe as Jesse McKenna on Life Goes On
- Ray Walston on Picket Fences as Judge Henry Bone
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff on Law & Order
- William Shatner as Denny Crane on Boston Legal
- Michael Imperioli as Christopher Moltisanti on The Sopranos
- John Spencer as Leo McGarry on The West Wing
- Steve Buscemi as Tony Blundetto on The Sopranos
- Mark Harmon as Dr. Robert Caldwell on St. Elsewhere
- Masi Oka as Hiro Nakamura on Heroes
- John Slattery as Roger Sterling on Mad Men
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow on Alias
- Robert Sean Leonard as Dr. James Wilson on House
- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones

Women:

- Stephanie March as ADA Alex Cabot on Law & Order: SVU
- Jill Hennessey as ADA Claire Kincaid on Law & Order (Original Recipe)
- Kristy McNichol as Buddy Lawrence on Family
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens on Grey's Anatomy
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Shepherd on Grey's Anatomy
- Jennifer Morrison as Dr. Allison Cameron on House
- Allison Arngrim as Nellie Oleson on Little House On The Prairie
- Coté de Pablo as Ziva David on NCIS
- Amy Carlson as Alex Taylor on Third Watch
- Elizabeth Perkins as Celia Hodes on Weeds
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Van Buren on Law & Order (Original Recipe)
- Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart on The Good Wife
- Sherilyn Fenn as Audrey Horne on Twin Peaks
- Marg Helgenberger as Karen Charlene Koloski on China Beach
- Juliana Margulies as Carol Hathaway on E.R.
- Della Reese as Tess on Touched By An Angel
- Camryn Manheim as Ellenor Frutt on The Practice
- Allison Janney as C.J. Cregg on The West Wing
- Rachel Griffiths as Brenda Chenowith on Six Feet Under
- Lorraine Bracco as Dr. Jennifer Melfi on The Sopranos
- Margo Martindale as Mags Bennett on Justified

I'm sure there are more, but these are the actors/actresses I could think of at the moment.

VALuvsMKwan
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
That last is one of my favorite lines in any movie EVER. To quote Virginia Grey from the same film, "Holy mackerel, what a line!" There were a lot of great lines in that movie. "Oh, my dear, your skin makes the Rocky Mountains look like chiffon velvet!" :lol:

I used the "bromide" line as my signature here for a very long time, though I worried that many people wouldn't get the comedy within it.

The 'chiffon velvet" line is just another of so many great lines in that film.

DarrellH
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Madeline Kahn - Paper Moon
Cloris Leachman - Young Frankenstein

michiruwater
02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Lesley Ann Warren as Norma Cassady in Victor/Victoria

And then, before you know it, you are impudent!...................What's with the soap? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNXxMBBxwBo)

Oh yes. I adore this film and she's just picture-perfect. I can't stop laughing every time she's on screen, and that ridiculous performance of 'Chicago, Illinois'... wow.

danceronice
02-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Sam Elliot in "Gettysburg" (General Buford) and "Tombstone" (Virgil Earp)
Robert Jordan in "The Hunt for Red October" ("Andre..you've lost another submarine?")
Bernard Hill in "Lord of the Rings" (Theoden) and "Titanic" (Captain E.J. Smith) (no one gives "oh crap" face better.)
Sam Shepard (yes, he also writes plays) in "The Right Stuff" (Chuck Yeager--debatable whether it's a supporting role)
Jon Voigt and Helen Mirren in "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" (Helen Mirren can be a VERY funny lady when she's given good parts)
Every Adult Actor in the Harry Potter films with more than two lines per film.
Desmond Llewellyn in almost every James Bond film from "Goldfinger" to "The World Is Not Enough" as Q/Major Boothroyd (yes, he had a name.)

TV:
Andreas Katsulas in "Babylon 5" as Ambassador G'Kar
Nicholas Woodeson in HBO'S "Rome" as Posca.
David Bamber in HBO's Rome (Cicero) and in "Pride and Prejudice" (Mr. Collins)
Zeljko Ivanek in HBO'S "John Adams" as John Dickinson
Tom Wilkinson in HBO'S "John Adams" as Benjamin Franklin (he is amazing in everything, but I can't count his creepily real turn in "The Kennedys" as that was a lead role)
Sarah Bolger in "The Tudors" (Lady Mary Tudor)
Anthony Brophy in "The Tudors" (Ambassador Chapuys)

Kasey
02-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Aaron Ekhart in "Erin Brokovich" (but I always think Julia Roberts is overrated anyway)

kwanfan1818
02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Tom Wilkinson in HBO'S "John Adams" as Benjamin Franklin

Yes -- he was the first to come to mind, and then I left him out :duh:

Kruss
02-28-2012, 04:55 AM
Cyn---I loved your list. There are people that pop up and then you (or at least I) never see them again. I was thinking about Steve Stucker in "Airplane" and the guys who played the Hanson brothers in "Slapshot." Particularly with Stucker; I thought that was a performance that would launch him into a successful career. Maybe it did but I have not seen him since.

He had some TV roles and did Airplane II, but sadly passed away in 1986 from AIDS at the young age of 38.

Cachoo
02-28-2012, 05:03 AM
Oh that is sad. What a loss: At least he made the most of his time and left his mark.

Vagabond
02-28-2012, 05:51 AM
:wideeyes:

I'm astonished no one has mentioned Linda Hunt as Billy Kwan in "The Year of Living Dangerously." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DSKfUwuWc)

The movie is inconceivable without her in the part.

AshleyN
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
David Bamber in HBO's Rome (Cicero) and in "Pride and Prejudice" (Mr. Collins)
Oh, fantastic choice! I'd throw in Max Pirkis as Young Octavian from that show as well.

Also, I have a feeling that by the time Game of Thrones is through I'll probably be able to fill this thread with actors from it. Season 1 already got them off to a great start with Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Harry Lloyd as Viserys, and Maisie Williams as Arya.

loulou
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
How could I have forgot this:
Kelly Bishop in the Gilmore Girls (plays the grandmother, Emily Gilmore).
Her lines were hilarious and she performed superbly.