PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Roles You Will NEVER Forget

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

pat c
02-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Ya Ya - again Maggie Smith, Shirley Knight, and Finnoula Flanagan. All 3 of them stole that show. :)

Graham Greene in Dancing with Wolves.

Icedancer
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Pamela Franklin and Celia Johnson in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Robert Stephens & Gordon Jackson were excellent in that film at well)

John Cazale in The Godfather, Part II

Grannyfan
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Speaking of Imelda Stauton, I know some people didn't like her in this but I thought her performance as Dolores Umbridge in HP5 totally stole the whole film. In that particular film, Maggie Smith also stole a great scene when the two squared off.

I love Imelda Staunton. She was one of my favorites in the Cranford series.

Cachoo
02-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Cyn---I loved your list. There are people that pop up and then you (or at least I) never see them again. I was thinking about Steve Stucker in "Airplane" and the guys who played the Hanson brothers in "Slapshot." Particularly with Stucker; I thought that was a performance that would launch him into a successful career. Maybe it did but I have not seen him since.

Cyn
02-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Cyn, that's a good list. But I think Shirley MacLaine's Ouiser character was in Steel Magnolias instead of Fried Green Tomatoes.. Funny, but I get those two movies mixed up also.

:duh: You're absolutely right (I corrected it as soon as I read your post). VAluvsMKwan will never let me live that mistake down :rofl: :o .

michiruwater
02-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Pamela Franklin and Celia Johnson in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Robert Stephens & Gordon Jackson were excellent in that film at well)[/B]

Oh gosh, how did I not say this yet?? Pamela Franklin in Jean Brodie might be my all-time favorite supporting turn. She's absolutely brilliant. I am incensed that she didn't win the Oscar for it. She was beyond picture-perfect and I actually prefer her performance to Maggie Smith's (which, don't get me wrong, I also love).

I thought Robert Stephens kind of seemed like he slept-walked through his role, but Johnson and Jackson were also quite good. IMO, Franklin stole the show.

Scintillation
02-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Speaking of Imelda Stauton, I know some people didn't like her in this but I thought her performance as Dolores Umbridge in HP5 totally stole the whole film. In that particular film, Maggie Smith also stole a great scene when the two squared off.

And in every single HP film, Alan Rickman stole every scene he was in and ultimately the entire series with his supporting turn as Severus Snape.

Agreed. It was especially easy for Alan Rickman to be a scene-stealer when the main three spent the last four films acting like they had been given sedatives before the cameras started rolling.

Simka
02-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost.

Cyn
02-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost.

Whoopi had what I think is the funniest line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsI5bREF20Y) in that entire movie. Our family "stole" it from her and use it whenever it applies :rofl:.

loulou
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Cynthia Rhodes in Dirty Dancing 1987 (the former Rockette that gets pregnant).

If anything, because her kicks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Pq3C2g3bs) were nothing short of amazing.

Oh, would you consider her role in Staying Alive 1983 supporting? If so, then that one too.

VALuvsMKwan
02-26-2012, 04:26 PM
:duh: You're absolutely right (I corrected it as soon as I read your post). VAluvsMKwan will never let me live that mistake down :rofl: :o .

Are you high, Ouiser, not to know which movie made you (in)famous? :rolleyes: You must have been barhoppin' dressed up as a nun again.

Speaking of nuns, Kathy Najimy in "Sister Act" and Mary Wickes in that movie and "The Trouble with Angels" (and in any movie in which she appeared in a VERY long career).

Whoopi as Oda Mae in "Ghost" is a great comic performance as well.

The "Steel Magnolias" connection again - Olympia Dukakis in "Moonstruck".

Mary Boland as the Countess de Lave in "The Women" (the classic 1939 version - her role as played by Bette Midler in the otherwise execrable remake was criminally shortened). So many great lines - "L'amour, l'amour...", "La publicite!", "Get me a bromide - and put some gin in it!" :rofl:

Nomad
02-26-2012, 04:39 PM

Mary Boland as the Countess de Lave in "The Women" (the classic 1939 version - her role as played by Bette Midler in the otherwise execrable remake was criminally shortened). So many great lines - "L'amour, l'amour...", "La publicite!", "Get me a bromide - and put some gin in it!" :rofl:

That last is one of my favorite lines in any movie EVER. To quote Virginia Grey from the same film, "Holy mackerel, what a line!" There were a lot of great lines in that movie. "Oh, my dear, your skin makes the Rocky Mountains look like chiffon velvet!" :lol:

kwanfan1818
02-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Marion Ross as the grandmother in "Brooklyn Bridge".
Maggie Smith in "Gosford Park"
Steven Hill in "Mission Impossible" and "Law and Order".
I'm not sure ensemble casts count as "supporting", but if they do, Andre Braugher in "Homicide: Life on the Streets", Lily Tomlin in "Nashville", John Goodman in "True Stories", Harriet Andersson in "Smiles of a Summer Night", Seiji Miyaguchi in "Seven Samurai"
Julie Kent was wicked in "Center Stage"
Allison Janney (stepmom), J.K. Simonds (dad), and Olivia Thirlby (best friend) in "Juno"
Juliet Stevenson in "Emma"
Lauren Ambrose in "Six Feet Under"
Bebe Neuwirth in "Frasier" and "Cheers"
Dan Butler in "Frasier"
Felicity Huffman in "Frasier"
Leslie Nielson in "Men with Brooms"
Patricia Gage in "Perfectly Normal"
Gael Garcia Bernal in "Don't Tempt Me/"Sin noticias de Dios")
Martha Scott in "The Turning Point"
ETA: Cynthia Harris in "Mad About You". The scene in which she's being driven to her husband's -- Paul's father's funeral -- and she tells Jamie to go look at that two-bedroom apartment they'd lose if she went to the funeral -- is a quintessential New York moment, and her expression and delivery was priceless.

WindSpirit
02-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Bebe Neuwirth in "Frasier" and "Cheers"
Dan Butler in "Frasier" I would add Harriet Sansom Harris who played Bebe Glazer, Frasier's agent.

The Best of Bebe Glazer: Part 1 (http://youtu.be/fHixbzsU9k4)

Bebe: Niles, thank god you're here. Back me up. Give him some sound, brotherly advice.
Niles: She's the devil, Frasier. Run fast, run far.

Frasier is my favorite TV show ever. Superb acting and writing. I don't think there was a character there that wasn't well-written or acted.

kwanfan1818
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Harris' Bebe Glazer was one of the most wonderful over-the-top characters ever! Thank you for the link :cheer2: