PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Roles You Will NEVER Forget

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Eden
02-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive

Judi Dench - Shakespeare in Love

Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds (I hated the movie, but his performance was unforgettable)

Cantinflas - Around the World in 80 Days (Passepartout)

Tom Hulce - Amadeus

Badams
02-20-2012, 02:05 AM
The one that I thought of right away is Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Grannyfan
02-20-2012, 02:12 AM
I keep adding to my list:

Alan Rickman in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
Denzel Washington in Glory

FigureSpins
02-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Robin Williams as the Genie in Disney's Aladdin.

Cachoo
02-20-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm watching "The Good Wife" right now. I wouldn't even know where to begin as this show is so well cast.

Fergus
02-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Dame May Whitty in Mrs. Miniver

Edna May Oliver in Drums Along the Mohawk

Claude Raines in Casablanca and Notorious

Gladys Cooper in Now, Voyager

and Barbara O'Neil, chewing the scenery to shreds, in All This and Heaven, Too

Scintillation
02-20-2012, 03:48 AM
These.

Jessica Walter - Arrested Development
Henry Winkler - Arrested Development
Wil Arnett - Arrested Development

Not that I disagree in any way, but Arrested Development had one of the strongest ensemble casts ever for a sitcom. I can't think of a single weak performance by anyone in any of the episodes.
And now I need to go start an A.D. marathon.

Now for my supporting cast picks...

Film
Peter Sarsgaard in Shattered Glass (i don't think this got much publicity, but it's such a solid film and it's on cable all the time these days)
Jean Hagen in Singin' in the Rain
Donald O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight (I mean...duh)
Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles
Cloris Leachman in Young Frankenstein
Christian Bale in The Fighter
Viola Davis in Doubt

TV
Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad
The Guy Who Plays Mike in Breaking Bad
Richard Coyle in Coupling (so pissed he left before the last series)
Alex Kingston in Doctor Who
Mary Kay Bergman in South Park (I know it's a cartoon but she was such a gifted voice actress)
Emma Chambers in the Vicar of Dibley
Charlie Day in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Amber Nash (Pam Poovey) on Archer

Jenny
02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
- Sara Gilbert (Darlene) on Roseanne. Of the three kids, she was by far the best actor and often upstaged the adults. Also from Roseanne, Laurie Metcalf (Jackie Harris) -- that is, until they turned the character into an OTT, desperate bimbo in the last few seasons.

Agree with this. I think Roseanne is generally an underrated show, likely due to Roseanne's off-air antics. All the actors were very good, the writing was sharp, and while much of it was really funny, there was also a lot of positive messaging about families. I'm thinking of the way they took David in for example, and the response when it was revealed that Jackie's boyfriend was beating her.

As for Laurie Metcalf, one of the funniest things I ever saw on a sitcom was after the end credits, she was sitting on the couch polishing her Emmy with Roseanne sitting next to her - hysterical.

If there are awards for casting, I have to agree also that Big Bang Theory should get one, and Frasier before them. Both shows did a brilliant job of defining just the right characters and then finding the perfect actors to play the roles.

pat c
02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Alfre Woodard in an LA Law episode as a cancer victim who was raped. Jimmy Smits defended the rapists. She was awesome.

snoopysnake
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell :D) on Leave it to Beaver

Marion Lorne and Alice Pearce on Bewitched

Raymond Bailey and Nancy Kulp on The Beverly Hillbillies

Vivian Vance on I Love Lucy

Kate Jackson on Dark Shadows

William Schallert and Jean Byron on The Patty Duke Show

Movies - I so agree about Jean Hagen in Singin in the Rain!

Cachoo
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Not that I disagree in any way, but Arrested Development had one of the strongest ensemble casts ever for a sitcom. I can't think of a single weak performance by anyone in any of the episodes.
And now I need to go start an A.D. marathon.

Now for my supporting cast picks...

Film
Peter Sarsgaard in Shattered Glass (i don't think this got much publicity, but it's such a solid film and it's on cable all the time these days)Jean Hagen in Singin' in the Rain
Donald O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight (I mean...duh)
Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles
Cloris Leachman in Young Frankenstein
Christian Bale in The Fighter
Viola Davis in Doubt

TV
Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad
The Guy Who Plays Mike in Breaking Bad
Richard Coyle in Coupling (so pissed he left before the last series)
Alex Kingston in Doctor Who
Mary Kay Bergman in South Park (I know it's a cartoon but she was such a gifted voice actress)
Emma Chambers in the Vicar of Dibley
Charlie Day in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Amber Nash (Pam Poovey) on Archer

I've been a subscriber to "The New Republic" off and on for decades and just happened to be on when the scandal broke. I really liked the film and agree with you about Peter Sarsgaard. Why don't these films get better publicity?

Grannyfan
02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell :D) on Leave it to Beaver

Marion Lorne and Alice Pearce on Bewitched

Raymond Bailey and Nancy Kulp on The Beverly Hillbillies

Vivian Vance on I Love Lucy

Kate Jackson on Dark Shadows

William Schallert and Jean Byron on The Patty Duke Show

Movies - I so agree about Jean Hagen in Singin in the Rain!

Your mentioning the Bewitched actresses reminded me of Paul Lynde, who also appeared from time to time as Samantha's uncle. He was pretty much the same in every role, but I loved him. He did a good turn as a burial plot salesman in Send Me No Flowers, which also reminds me of Tony Randall in the same movie.

Scintillation
02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I've been a subscriber to "The New Republic" off and on for decades and just happened to be on when the scandal broke. I really liked the film and agree with you about Peter Sarsgaard. Why don't these films get better publicity?

Probably because it wasn't produced by a Joel Schumacher or a Harvey Weinstein. I only ended up watching it because I was at home from college, bored, vaguely knew about the TNR scandal, and it happened to be on HBO. It's not an explosive film but it's just so well-made that whenever I see it's on these days I almost always sit and watch at least part of it.
I have never seen Life as a House, but this is the only movie I've seen where Hayden Christensen delivers a good performance. And of course Peter Sarsgaard is quietly awesome.

Kruss
02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Here's an usual one - Madeline Zima on The Nanny. She started the show as a small child and it took her through early teens. I think the cast of this show was brilliant anyway (special honorable mention also for Daniel Davis as Niles), but Madeline's turn as Gracie really showed how naturally talented she was from a very small age.

Jenny
02-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Wow, she was one of the kids on The Nanny? I know her for her much more adult role on Californication - the teen seductress who stole Hank Moody's novel and passed it off as her own.

Speaking of, Pamela Adlon as Marcy Runkle on Californication is fantastic. Love her scenes - so much depth of emotion, and so very funny. You wouldn't know that she's also been the voice of Bobby Hill on King of the Hill throughout that series, and is in fact primarily known as a voice actor.