PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Roles You Will NEVER Forget

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Wyliefan
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Jean Simmons in a somewhat obscure classic comedy, The Grass Is Greener. When you can steal a movie from Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, and Robert Mitchum, you're GOOD.

Nell411
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Ward Bond in The Searchers and Hondo
Kelly Bishop in Gilmore Girls
Nick Offerman in Parks and Recreation
David McCallum in NCIS
Patricia Neal in Breakfast at Tiffany's
Kay Thompson in Funny Face
Parker Posey in Superman Returns(She's the only good thing about that movie IMO.
Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls
Catherine Zeta-Jones in Chicago
Everyone in The Pink Panther that wasn't Peter Sellers.
Patrick Wayne, Stefanie Powers and Jerry Van Dyke in McLintock
Victor McLaglen in The Quiet Man
Barry Fitzgerald in The Quiet Man and Bringing Up Baby
Mildred Natwick in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Court Jester
Angela Lansbury in The Court Jester and The Manchurian Candidate
Judy Greer in Arrested Development
Jack Elam in Rio Lobo
Alison Pill in Scott Pilgrim VS. The World
Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada
Celeste Holm in High Society
Jewel Staite in Firefly & Serenity
Alan Tudyk in Firefly & Serenity
Christopher Heyerdahl in Sanctuary and Stargate: Atlantis
John Glover in Smallville
Arthur Darvill in Doctor Who(More season 5 than 6. But he still feels more supporting than co-lead.)

I was raised on a pretty steady diet of old movies with an emphasis on John Wayne movies. Which is why so many of the movies are his. Those are just the movies and shows I remember off the top of my head. If I actually put more effort into it I would probably get more. Especially from the Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows that I watch.

Nomad
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Louise Brooks in Love 'Em and Leave 'Em and A Girl in Every Port
Pert Kelton in Bed of Roses
Joan Blondell in just about anything
Lillian Roth in Ladies They Talk About
Anna May Wong in Shanghai Express
Ruth Chatterton in Dodsworth
Mary Astor in The Maltese Falcon, Midnight, The Great Lie, The Palm Beach Story, Act of Violence
Most of Norma Shearer's costars in The Women: Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Phyllis Povah, Mary Boland, Virginia Grey, Marjorie Main, Paulette Goddard

eusebius
02-19-2012, 11:38 PM
John Turturro in The Big Lebowski

"What's this day of rest shit? It don't matter to Jesus."

"Eight-year-olds, Dude." (that was John Goodman)

Grannyfan
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Patricia Neal in Breakfast at Tiffany's
Mildred Natwick in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Court Jester

I'll add Patricia Neal in Hud. Melvyn Douglas also.
I couldn't remember Mildred Natwick's name earlier. I'll add her for Barefoot in the Park.

jlai
02-19-2012, 11:44 PM
The first thing that came to mind was Alan Rickman in An Awfully Big Adventure. Unforgettable role and acting

mila19
02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda - his character Otto, the dim-witted, hair-trigger tempered, ex-CIA assassin, stole every scene he was in, and he earned an Oscar for it.

Wow I didn't know he got an Oscar for that but he cracked me up like no one. Dov' il Vaticano?:rofl:

Rex
02-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Um, I think she was the star of my So Called Life.

Jared Leto, though? :swoon:

Jared Leto was awesome in Requiem for a Dream. The entire cast was great.

Don Cheadle in Devil in a Blue Dress. Batshit crazy and perfect at it.

Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca. Creepy.

Someone mentioned Thelma Ritter. She was great in Rear Window too.

PrincessLeppard
02-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Jared Leto was awesome in Requiem for a Dream. The entire cast was great.

Agreed. I also liked him The Panic Room.

And, no, bints, I am not a fan of all of his work. :P

Cachoo
02-20-2012, 12:08 AM
I've been reading and writing: My netflix list is growing and now I wish there was an awards show just to celebrate these folks.

Note to Allen: I am embarrassed to say that "The Wire" is one of my all time favorite tv series but I don't know who Felicia Pearson is (yet.)

Nomad
02-20-2012, 12:21 AM
A few more:

Maynard Holmes in Baby Face
Jean Harlow, Marie Dressler, Wallace Beery, and Hilda Vaughn in Dinner at Eight
Dan Duryea in The Little Foxes and The Woman in the Window

Cyn
02-20-2012, 12:25 AM
From TV shows/miniseries:

- James Callis (Dr. Gaius Baltar), Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh), and Tricia Helfer (Number Six) on Battlestar Galactica. They (along with Mary MacDonnell, Edward James Olmos, and Katee Sackhoff in lead roles) were insanely robbed of Emmy nominations during the show's run. I'm still chapped about that.

- Frank John Hughes (SSgt. "Wild Bill" Guarnere), Donnie Wahlberg (2nd Lt. C. Carwood Lipton), Scott Grimes (TSgt. Donald Malarkey) in Band of Brothers. I could include several other actors as the entire cast was amazing, but these three in particular stand out.

- Sara Gilbert (Darlene) on Roseanne. Of the three kids, she was by far the best actor and often upstaged the adults. Also from Roseanne, Laurie Metcalf (Jackie Harris) -- that is, until they turned the character into an OTT, desperate bimbo in the last few seasons.

- Laurie Metcalf (Mary Cooper aka Sheldon's Mom) and Christine Baranski (Beverly Hofstadter aka Leonard's Mom) on The Big Bang Theory. Both women turned these cameo roles into extremely memorable, hilarious characters and made the episodes they're in some of the most popular in the series. Props also to Simon Helberg (Howard Wolowitz), who portayal of the ridiculously nerdy, obsessed-with-sex, Jewish Mama's Boy sends me into giggle fits as I had several guy friends like this in high school and college.

- Ed Asner (Lou Grant), Ted Knight (Ted Baxter), Betty White (Sue Nivens), Gavin MacLeod (Murray Slaughter), Georgia Engel (Georgette Franklin), Valerie Harper (Rhoda Morganstern), and Chloris Leachman (Phyllis Lindstrom) on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. One of the best, if not THE best, ensemble sitcom casts. The chemistry between the actors was incredible, and the combination of the cast and the outstanding writing and directing, made the MTM Show a juggernaut.

- Marla Gibbs (Florence Johnston) on The Jeffersons. No one put George in his place/called George out on his bullshit better than Florence.

- Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter), McLean Stevenson (Colonel Blake), Larry Linville (Frank Burns), David Ogden Stiers (Charles Emerson Winchester III), Loretta Swit (Margaret Houlihan), Gary Burghof (Radar O'Reilly) on M*A*S*H. Another outstanding ensemble cast -- they were the perfect foils for the antics of Hawkeye and Trapper/BJ, and in the latter seasons when the series morphed into The Hawkeye Pierce Show/Hawkeye's Soapbox, they kept M*A*S*H from being completely unwatchable.

- John Ratzenburger (Cliff Clavin) and George Wendt (Norm Petersen) on Cheers

Nell411
02-20-2012, 12:38 AM
I'll add Patricia Neal in Hud. Melvyn Douglas also.
I couldn't remember Mildren Natwick's name earlier. I'll add her for Barefoot in the Park.

I completely forgot about Barefoot in the Park. She was brilliant in that! I also need to add Keenan Wynn and James Whitmore in Kiss Me Kate. Brush Up Your Shakespeare is one of my favourite songs.

A.H.Black
02-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Someone mentioned Thelma Ritter. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0728812/

Thelma Ritter in almost anything she was ever in.

Wyliefan
02-20-2012, 01:19 AM
^Ditto for Claude Rains.