PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 U.S. Team Envelopes & International Selection Pool (ISP)

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
02-15-2012, 09:39 PM
For those interested, here's my UNOFFICIAL compilation of U.S. Team A, B and C envelope skaters/teams for the 2012-13 season based on the published criteria (with Junior Worlds and Worlds to go) at: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/projected-2012-13-u-s-team-envelopes-so-far/

USFS' 2012-13 International Selection Pool (ISP) eventually should include "all Team A, B and C [Senior/Junior] age-eligible athletes and any other athletes being considered for an international competition." The ISP athletes list usually is published online sometime after the current season ends (it was published in late March last year).

haribobo
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the list! Potentially a big bummer for Max Aaron, Angela Wang, Zhang/Bartholomay, and Samuelson/Gilles, the 8th place finishers from Nationals. Max missed a medal at Nebelhorn by 3 points, Angela wasn't sent out internationally after missing Nationals in a very tough section last year but tremendous in her FS at Nationals (now get a better SP please!), Z/B were great in their FS at Nationals, don't think I saw S/G but they are promising also. Hopefully at least these skaters are named to the Reserve team and get some assignments next season, or even better, this spring!

Sylvia
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
It's possible that the following criterion could be applied to any of the 8th place finishers mentioned above:

Consideration to place the athletes in Team C - Tier 1 will be given for senior level skaters placing lower at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships where the event was very strong or the results were very close.

Sylvia
02-18-2012, 04:59 PM
2 new envelope criteria listed under "Additional Considerations":

Consideration will be given to place a 2010 Olympic medalist into Team A or Team B at the discretion of the ICMS. These athletes must have retained their eligible status and must be committed to competing in the current and/or following competitive season.

Any athlete(s) who medal in the Junior or Senior levels at a spring international will be awarded ASUPP funding equal to 10% of the total amount of Team C - Tier 2 funding of the current season.

centerpt1
02-18-2012, 06:00 PM
The Lysacek clause?
Consideration will be given to place a 2010 Olympic medalist into Team A or Team B

Polymer Bob
02-21-2012, 12:43 AM
The Lysacek clause?

I seem to recall there being an Abbott / Czisny clause. The National champ was not guaranteed Team A. He/she/they also had to place above a certain level in certain ISU events. Maybe that was a temporary rule.

Sylvia
02-21-2012, 01:09 AM
The National champ was not guaranteed Team A. He/she/they also had to place above a certain level in certain ISU events.
Not quite. This season (2011-12) there are 2 "tiers" per envelope (A-C) and 2011 national champs Alissa Czisny and Meryl Davis/Charlie White automatically qualified for Team A Tier 2 and then were bumped up to Team A Tier 1 (the highest level of envelope funding) by placing in the top 10 at 2011 Worlds (Davis/White and the Shibutanis also automatically qualified for A-1 by medalling at 2011 Worlds). It's not spelled out in the 2012-13 team envelope criteria re. A-1 vs. A-2, but I am assuming the same things may apply to the 2012 National champions competing at Worlds.

mineko
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Sylvia:

Thank you for starting this thread. :) It is very educational to me. I do have a lot of questions, and I am hoping that well-informed posters here further enlighten me. :confused:

1. What is the amount of funding for each envelop/tier?

2. Are the funding differ according to disciplines (singles vs. pairs/ice skaters)?

3. How the USFS determine which skater(s) to assign to which international event(s)?

4. Are there any way non-funded, non-enveloped skater(s) able to participate in international comp(s)?
(disclosure) I'm a huge fun of Samuelson/Gilles, and I am desperately trying to find ways to have them more opportunities. :(

Again, thank you in advance. :)

hlp728
02-23-2012, 02:52 AM
I found this article from 1999 that talks about the funding which was very little at that time. It was like 6,000 for singles in the Top Envelope and 9000 for pairs/dance. http://www.cbssports.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,1042300_10946,00.html

Sylvia
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
How the USFS determine which skater(s) to assign to which international event(s)?
Normally Senior B and JGP assignments are based primarily on most recent Nationals results. Grand Prix assignments are based on ISU World Standings rankings and Season Best scores; USFS chooses their own skaters for Skate America, including host picks.

Are there any way non-funded, non-enveloped skater(s) able to participate in international comp(s)?
Yes. Any skater chosen for an international assignment who is not in the A-C funded envelopes will be added to the Reserve team (unfunded) and they will receive some funding if they medal.

(disclosure) I'm a huge fun of Samuelson/Gilles, and I am desperately trying to find ways to have them more opportunities.
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's possible that some or all of the 8th place finishers at 2012 Nationals could be added to the C-1 envelope... we'll just have to wait and see. Samuelson/Gilles are likely candidates for a Senior B assignment if they compete well at the Lake Placid dance comp. later this summer, for example.

mineko
02-23-2012, 07:06 PM
^^ Thank you.
The 1999 article also informs me just how little funding and support skaters receive. It's a somber reality.

UDelpairs2012
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Any news about the ISP for this season yet?

icedancingdrmz
04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Athletes who have been named to the 2012-2013 ISP have already been notified but the list has not been made public by USFS yet.

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

Sylvia
04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
I've updated my unofficial, projected team envelopes compilation with the officially known team splits (ETA) as of April 10 -- link in post #1.

sammyf
04-26-2012, 05:54 AM
2012-13 International Selection Pool is up http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

LADIES
Kiri Baga S10
Mariah Bell J5
Ashley Cain J2
Samantha Cesario SWD
Alissa Czisny S2
McKinzie Daniels S13
Polina Edmunds J6
Rachael Flatt S6
Christina Gao S5
Gracie Gold J1
Jenelle Herman J8