PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Presents You've Received?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GarrAarghHrumph
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
What are the best, or the worst, presents you've ever received? Due to the date, you can focus on Valentines days if you want, but feel free to also include birthday, holiday, random gifts, etc...

My husband, before we got married, gave me a first-aid kit. :lol: I suppose that was the "worst". It's certainly the funniest.

Wyliefan
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
When my sister and I were kids, my uncle gave us underwear for Christmas. That was probably the worst. :lol:

Another Christmas, my other uncle gave us these watch-rings that were too big and clunky to even wear. Both my uncles were terrible gift-givers, when they even remembered to give us gifts.

Best . . . I don't know, I've gotten a lot of good presents. I'd have to take some time and make a pretty long list! My most recent favorite present was a rock that my little goddaughter gave me. I've told the story elsewhere on the board, I think. It was a "pretty rock," in her words (gray with white stripes), and she really wanted to keep it for herself, but she made the sacrifice and gave it to me, which made it special. :)

Scintillation
02-14-2012, 02:59 PM
My sister gave me a card promising me to take me out to the Dakota jazz club. 3 years later and she still hasn't gotten around to it soooo...at least it was a nice card, I guess.

My favorite "worst gift" that wasn't for me was the shop vac my dad gave my mom for mother's day one year. He wanted that shop vac so much for himself he bought it as a gift for her.

GarrAarghHrumph
02-14-2012, 03:13 PM
My favorite "worst gift" that wasn't for me was the shop vac my dad gave my mom for mother's day one year. He wanted that shop vac so much for himself he bought it as a gift for her.

I probably would have made an arrangement after that gift - you buy me what you really want, and I'll buy you what I really want. :lol:

Badams
02-14-2012, 03:18 PM
My husband once bought me a sweater, size M kids. It fit me ok at the time, but 3 kids/c-sections later...not as good. To this day he STILL whines that I never wear that damn sweater! Not only was this 10 years ago, but COME ON!!!!

Kasey
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM
A yearly calendar for the current year at Christmas time, when there would only be a week left of use of it. And it was a freebie from Paralyzed vets as well.

Nan
02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
The best gift was a turntable like this:

http://www.crosleyradio.com/Product.aspx?pid=1795

that I can play my childhood 78's on. :swoon:

The worst year for gifts was the Christmas I received kitchen gadgets and appliances from everyone! :lynch:

PDilemma
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
My grandmother once got me size xxxl sweatpants for Christmas. I wore a small. She included a note that she didn't want them to be "too small" for me now that I was "at the age where you gain weight". I was 20.

When I was 15, in band and taking piano lessons, she got me a used "magical musical thing" toy.

And I have vivid memories of getting one of those freebie paper coloring books with four pictures for my 6th birthday from her. My brother, at the same time, was given cash and two new books and some records. For my birthday. On my 18th birthday, I got $5 from her and my brother got $20. He was kind of embarrassed about it by then.

beepbeep
02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
My Grandma and her friends always gave me soap, toothpaste, cheap chocolate, whenever the occasion required a gift. Yeah, those were the worst :D

Never been much of a material person (mom is the type that only shows love with things instead of actions, so I went the other way), so I can't really remember a present, from anyone, that I loved... it was just... things.

Kruss
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
My sister got a highly unusual gift for her baby shower. Her husband's older aunt proudly proclaimed, "I wanted to get something for the mother because they're often forgotten in all the attention of the baby." Then asked my sister to open the gift first since she (the aunt) had to leave the shower early.

My sister opened the wrapped present to reveal an economy sized box of feminine napkins!

Nomad
02-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I think my favorite bad gift was a set of tools - hammer, two screwdrivers, and a pair of plyers - with floral print handles. Who says tools can't be pretty?

AliasJohnDoe
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
The best gift I've ever recieved was a beagle puppy. She's 10 years old now.

The worst gift I can ever get is clothes of any kind. They are put in the salvation army box within the month. I pick out my own clothes.

Cachoo
02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
For our university newspaper Christmas party everyone was supposed to bring a gift and then we numbered the gifts and picked numbers. My gift turned out to be a piece of tree bark that the gift giver literally picked up from the ground on the way into the party as he had forgotten the gift exchange. The editor gave him hell for it but I didn't care.

KikiSashaFan
02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
One time my aunt gave me a gift certificate that was a week away from expiring and it was for a steakhouse. I'm a vegetarian.

Best gift was the car my parents got me for graduation. I still drive it and I'm hoping as long I take good care of it I'll still get a few more years out of it. Toyotas FTW :lol:

Louis
02-14-2012, 08:03 PM
The first Christmas we were together, Sweets gave me a knife. Seven years later, I might appreciate a functional present, but on that day I felt like stabbing Sweets with it.

One year, my mom - notoriously hard to buy for - asked me to get her a scale for Mother's Day because her old one had broken. I had a really, really hard time with that one. In the end, I did it, but bought the nicest scale I could find. She was overjoyed. :lol: It has since become a fond memory, and I try to aspire to be more like my mom in that way.